AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1030Q1 is almost fully converged according to the internal test pattern, but i'm having two problems:

1. The horizontal red is off on the bottom half and the top half, but it is perfectly ok on the center-ish. By that i mean that the red lines are below the white lines in the bottom half and above the white lines in the top half.

2. The vertical blue is off on the whole grid - almost uniformly. The blue knob is maxxed out, but the lines are still to the right of the real lines, if that makes a little sense.

I'm using a table mounted setup, and although the picture is a little soft, its still good. Yesterday i played around with the focus block inside the projector, and it improved a little. Planet of the Apes effing ROCKS - the black levels are amazing!!! :D

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
Mark ,

-- If your Red is maxed out top to bottom and still not lining up then you need to change the Green so that you can line it up . Sounds as if your Red is actually at its minimum setting and Increasing the Green a little should get it lined up [ you will have to re-converge after doing this ] . There are pots under the Convergence board that can increase/decrease width if you need that too [ you need a special plastic adjustment tool to adjust these pots - TV Tuning tools from Radio Shack ] . You are using the convergence pots to adjust - right ? [ not just the knobs under the flip up panel ] . You can shift the Blue side to side with one of the pots . Do you have the 17 page manual that walks you through it step by step ?

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jason. I wasn't using the internal pots for converging till now... Which ones are these? And do i leave my external pots as they are or at some particular setting?

I do have the manual, but i didn't read it thoroughly for convergence.

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
Mark ,

-- set your Red & Blue [H&V] adjustment knobs [ under the flap ] at the MID point before you use the pots on the convergence board . Then you will have more adjustment available when done with the pots .

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just another question - do i need Twiddle Sticks for adjusting those pots or will some other tool do?

I thought you only needed twiddle sticks for adjusting the coils.

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
Mark ,

-- yes , you would need Twiddle Sticks for the Coils [ I called them pots and I should have said Coils - sorry ] . It is always best to use either an insulated tool or a plastic tool for anything inside the PJ . I would use a plastic tool when adjusting the pots as well .

-- Best Wishes ,

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
I called them pots and I should have said Coils - sorry
Jason, is it necessary to adjust the coils right now? I think that's a fairly advanced adjustment, and i'd like to do it when i have some more experience with the projector. Would i be able to converge the v. blue and h. red without using those or not?

I like this hobby, but opening new stuff up within a week kinda goes against my instincts! :D :p

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
Mark ,

-- those are only needed if you can't get the left and right sides to line up , if you need more width or less width .

-- if these areas are fine then you do not need to adjust the coils .

;) - Best of Luck ,

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man! If you don't hear from me tomorrow, consider me fried!! :D

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Hi, Mark

Welcome to the 103x club :) I've had a 1031q for about a month now. The first time I went "under the hood" to converge it I thought my gums were going to bleed... I've done it several times now. In my case the geometry on the green was too out of whack to even use as a reference for the blue and red. I just had to go in, learn what each pot (coil *g*) did and start twiddling. The results- and they're still not perfect- are amazing. It's like anything else- after you try it a light bulb goes off and it makes a bit more sense. When I figured the "tilt" controls out that was a big day *lol* Just take it slow and trust me- if you're starting to get excited now you ain't seen nothing yet!!! I LUUUVV my little pj!!!

Fred

PS- can you go hi-scan with the 1030q1?? When I got a look at what this machine does with an line-doubled input it was like the heavens opening up and choirs singing... *lol*

PPS- Jason- just went to your website again and saw the pj with the black paint job- sweeeeet!! I think I'll do that too. I put a black cover over the display on my reciever to cut down light; am I hardcore now?? *lol*

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woo-hoo baby!

I sat down last night, and tweaked the pots to kingdom come! I now have a much sharper picture (also did lens focus), and know a lot more about the projector than yesterday!

Fred, they are capable of 32 kHz, so they will do line doubled input. I was actually duped into buying this unit when i wanted a 1031Q.

I'm going toopen it up again next weekend if i'm not very happy with the picture, but it is sweet right now!

The manual is very detailed and walks you through the whole thing - don't know what i would have done without it! A far cry from today's "manuals".

I'm just starting to build an HTPC, so i think there are good things in store for me!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.