AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie here and have never owned a RPTV ... I want to play my video games on it (mostly PS II) and wanted to get some advice/feeback on the advantages/disadvantages of both types ... 16:9 vs 4:3 ... any help would be great since I am driving myself crazy trying to decide ...

Size 51-53" RPTV HDTV monitor ...

Primary viewing - comcast digital cable and occasional dvd (do not own progressive scan - yet) movies ...

would like to get any brand/models that people use and like ...

thnks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well mate I had the same problem but really its easy. If gaming is your main thing then 4:3 is the way to go. A 4:3 screen will still do a fairly large 16:9 window but a native 16:9 will leave a tiny 4:3 picture. Most games are in 4:3 anyway, on all platforms so go 4:3.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
From a gaming standpoint, I don't see any difference between 4:3 and 16:9. Most games are designed for 4:3, but look equally as good stretched to 16:9.

For my, there were three big reasons to go 16:9.

One, movies look much better on a widescreen TV, and it was more important for me to have better looking movies than to have better looking TV.

Two, 16:9 is most likely going to be the futre for TV, and I hope to keep my TV around for a long time.

Three, the latest and greatest technology is going into 16:9 TVs. The few HD 4:3 TV's made are usually afterthouhts based on older technology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i appreciate the feedback ...

well i guess i am leaning towards a widescreen now ... it would be nice to see gaming in action on some of these sets though ... they should have something set up in store (*hint) ... I will make my way back out today and compare again. i did not realize there was sooo much to consider until i started looking around ,,, current models i am interested in ...

widescreen ...

Hitachi 51SWX20B

SONY KP51WS500

RCA D52W135D

anyone own or game on these and care to help a lad out ??

·
Registered
XMC2, XPA5, Veritas 2.4i, 2.2i, SVS PC22-31PCi x 2, LG C1, LG CX, Panasonic VT60
550 Posts
How do games look stretched?

Does the 480p make up for the distortion from stretching?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think 4:3 is the way to go, and will be until at least the next gen consoles.

As far as games go, most are still 4:3, there is a handful that are 16:9, but most are stretched, and I personally find that stretching a 4:3 game into 16:9 looks not quite right, not bad per se, but you can tell it's being stretched.

Second, the majority of television is 4:3 and will stay that way for several years. Certainly with the advent of HDTV, we will see more 16:9 stuff, but over 50 percent will still be 4:3 even in 2006 (in the US), and that's simply because the majority of the population will still be using native 4:3 tv's.

I would recommend getting a 4:3 tv, projector etc... that has a 16:9 mode, that does not compress the image, so you are getting the full resolution of the 16:9 mode. My front pj, has this. It has a 16:9 mode, which scales to whatever the resolution is of the source I'm using (480p, 720p and 1080i) and I notice absolutely no loss in clarity, even though, technically it's not a native 16:9 pj. I've compared it side by side with true 16:9 sets, and unless we're talking extremely high end, the difference is not noticeable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As stated above, currently all movies, many great games, and a few TV shows are 16:9 (or 2.35:1). But 16:9 is the future of all visual media. The reason is simple: our eyes are next to one another. Our natural field of vision is horizontal.

If you buy a 4:3 TV you will eventually regret it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
It could also depend on how long you plan on using this for your primary TV vs. the screen size for the dollar that you have today. Todays widescreen in large sizes are still extremely expensive compared to a 53" or 61" 4:3 RP HDTV. I have the 53" Sony KP53HS30 (sells for $1,700.00 to $1,900.00 today) & couldn't be happier. I don't watch that much 16:9 even though I have HD & DVD.

I plan on keeping this as my primary for at least 2 more years (4 total) based on the amount of HDTV offerings that is still uncertain at best.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's true that visually speaking, we are designed for horizontal viewing as opposed to vertical. But the fact remains, that if you are on a limited budget you can have a 4:3 hdtv for much less.

If you're getting 60 inches or more and the tv is 4:3, and if it has a 16:9 mode, I think you will be still mighty impressed with the size, I know I am!

Really you have very limited HDTV offerings right now, so the only real product out there that is mostly widescreen is DVD, and a handful of games.

I would say that if you bought an HDTV that is native 4:3 with a 16:9 mode, you would be quite happy, especially if you're using a 32 or smaller television right now.

Hey, if you have the moolah, get the widescreen, if I had enough cash and I could get the size I want, then I would look at a widescreen tv as well.

So really, you need to think about how much cash you have, how big you want the screen, and what material do watch the most, is it mainly 4:3, or mainly 16:9?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just said this in another thread, but just realize that 100% of 4:3 material is SD. 100% of HD material is 16:9. (not all 16:9 material is HD though, like anamorphic DVDs).

If you're buying an HD moniter for HD content, then get a 16:9 HDTV, if you're buying an HDTV for SD content, save yourself some money and get a nice DTV. You're not really missing out on watching 480i/p signals blown up to 50+ inches.

"I think 4:3 is the way to go, and will be until at least the next gen consoles. "

I like this statement. Spend ~$2000 now for the current generation, which will be over in two years, then spend another $2k in another two years for the Next Generation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd go with the 16:9 and get the Hitachi one. I have a projector displaying a 105" display and it looks amazing. So if anyone is going to see any distortion, it would be me. I can hardly tell any streching is going on. Plus more and more games are being created in 16:9. Of course, Xbox games look the best this way since they can produce 480p, 720, and one 1080i game. So my vote is for the 16:9. It may take you an hour to get used to it but after you do you want think anything about it. Plus when you watch a dvd, you will get to see the whole picture.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jeez, stovetop, no one can have an opinion on something? You need to quote what others say just to deflate it?

You don't need to agree with me, just state you point, and then leave it at that.

I'm not going to buy a new pj in 2 years, because mine has a 16:9 mode that will suffice for quite some time, even when the next gen stuff arrives.

He just wants some advice, not stupid petty stuff like "I like this statement, blah, blah, blah, blah".

Chill out, and quit acting like your some authority on HDTV or anything else for that matter!

This forum is starting to turn into a joke! Everyones an authority on everything, that is until the next guy comes around. If you're not whinning about the PS2 vs. Xbox vs. GC, your arguing about widescreen and full screen!

I don't know about you, but I'm not in grade 10, so why don't you just chill mr.authority?

·
Registered
212 Posts
My Infocus X-1 @ $1200 has over 200 hours on it in the past 6 weeks, projecting a 92x69 picture that my sons and all the neighborhood kids just can't believe how great the PS2 is on it! I looked into RPTVs up to 58" and $6000 in cost and am glad I didn't go that route. It is 4:3 native, but the 16:9 uses the full width and you hardly notice the black bars when in a dark room for DVDs. 16:9 still gives over 100" diagonal.

The DeLaHoya fight on Saturday on Digital PPV wowed 5 of my friends and PO'd their wifes 'cause they all think they need a projector instead of their

RPTVs now. Go 110" and never look @ TV the same again!

·
Registered
220 Posts
(from table A3 of the ATSC Digital Television Standard, Revision B):

480 interlaced (i), 4:3 aspect ratio

480 progressive (p), 4:3 aspect ratio

480i, 16x9 aspect ratio

480p, 16x9 aspect ratio

720p, 16x9 aspect ratio

1080i, 16x9 aspect ratio

As you can see, HDTV is a widescreen-only format. So, if you want to watch HDTV, then you should get a widescreen TV. If you want to watch standard analog broadcasts, get a 4:3 TV. If you want to do both, then you have 2 choices:

1.) Get a widescreen HDTV and watch 4:3 broadcasts in stretched modes or with black/gray bars on the sides.

2.) Get a 4:3 HDTV and watch HD broadcasts with black/gray bars on the top and bottom.

Either way, you will be forced to compromise one way or another. Personally, I'd rather compromise on lower-resolution images rather than HD, so I chose a widescreen TV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i finally went ahead and did it ! ... not sure how to comment yet b/c i am still getting used to the new t.v. ... but i went out and bought a widescreen Hitachi and Guilty Gear X2 looks awesome ... my only complaint is the stretch mode seems odd to me ... i hope i can get used to it ? although i am ready for the future so bring it on ... the sooner the better. thanks for the input guys. :D

btw .. i got an xbox as well from ebay for cheap ... now i am set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i finally went ahead and did it ! ... not sure how to comment yet b/c i am still getting used to the new t.v. ... but i went out and bought a widescreen Hitachi and Guilty Gear X2 looks awesome ... my only complaint is the stretch mode seems odd to me ... i hope i can get used to it ? although i am ready for the future so bring it on ... the sooner the better. thanks for the input guys. :D

btw .. i got an xbox as well from ebay for cheap ... now i am set.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.