AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my 17th birthday is coming in 3 months and my dad has decided to buy me a ps3 then now im wondering is it worth it to get the 600 dollar ps3?or should i just get the 500 dollar one..i wouldnt need wifi cause my home network is wired..and i would be able to upgrade the harddrive..but still i would like some opinions..thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I didn't really care about the chrome trim nor the card reader, the bigges part of picking the 60GB was the wifi. If the 20GB had wifi i would have bought that instead of the 60GB that i purchased.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I had the same trouble making up my mind about the 20 or 60 gig...going over all the options for a measly hundred dollar difference...and I'm twice your age!

In the end, I went with the 60. And I'm glad I did. I didn't want to feel like I was missing something.

Do I miss the hundred bucks?

I never get to hold onto money long enough to miss it.

That money was a memory even before I spent it.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderCool /forum/post/0

ok so my 17th birthday is coming in 3 months and my dad has decided to buy me a ps3 then now im wondering is it worth it to get the 600 dollar ps3?or should i just get the 500 dollar one..i wouldnt need wifi cause my home network is wired..and i would be able to upgrade the harddrive..but still i would like some opinions..thanks

Personally I try to keep my HT looking as neat as possible. This is why i chose the 60gb. The card reader is built in as well as the wi-fi. It avoids having any additional cables added to my HT or network. Also, I love how clean the PS3 looks without having anything sticking out from the front.

Just a matter of preference. Soon enough most people will be upgrading their hard-drives regardless of which system they have. 60GB will not be enough once games and HD content becomes available online.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My personal perference was the 20gig

I knew I wasn't going to use WiFi.

I use a usb flash stick I already have instead of mem cards.

I liked the all black look.

I will use $85 of my $100 saved to put a 120gig HD in it.

This was my decision that worked best for me.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I bought the 20G. I think the chrome takes away from the clean look of the PS3 and I upgraded to 120G for less than the $100 difference in price.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr /forum/post/0

Good luck even finding a 20gb. Sony seems to no longer be shipping those. So if you're set on getting a PS3 now, you're probably gonna have to get the $600 one anyway.

Proof, link? Ya, more rumors, the net is great.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah they ship little amount of the 500 ps3's and i like the all black better..looks cleaner...but i never knew that the 500 dollar cant do remote play with a psp..cause the only difference sony mentions is the harddrive size,memory card reader and wifi

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yep, and that Wi-Fi is how the PS3 communicates with the PSP. It creates an ad-hoc connection to the PSP. And it will only (at this time) use it's internal network card to do this.

Seems a bit short sighted on the part of Sony to set it up that way. Perhaps they will change it in the future. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
seems like i'll have to go with the $600 one instead..plus when i buy it i might buy F1 to go along with it...those graphics are just jawdropping

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Youre dad is buying?

definitely get the $600 one

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have the 60GB, but really, the 20GB is a pretty great deal too. If you can swing it, get the 60GB, because at least you'll have the option of using the built-in wireless even if you plan on using a wired connection (which is what I am doing). Sure you can add an external card reader and an external wireless bridge, but that adds to the clutter, whereas the 60GB version gives you everything in a neat package.

But if that's not important to you, just get the 20GB and put the difference towards a monster HD. The chrome trim looks pretty awful anyway.

Oh and factor in $15 for some skinz from decalgirl.com

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/0

Proof, link? Ya, more rumors, the net is great.

The only proof I have is me looking for the past 2+ weeks for a $500 model using itrackr.com.

LOTS of $600 versions everywhere in San Diego County, but no $500 versions in a couple weeks. That says to me that they are not shipping near enough of the cheaper model to fulfill demand.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.