AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1000 to 1200 canadian dollars to spend .What would be better ;a very good 32'' like panasonic zl800 or just a good 40'' like sony 's' version or samsung 450. I might even consider the pansonic plasma. There is so many choices of features what ones are really important . I have standard digital from bell express and regular dvd player but don't want limit myself in case of upgrades to hd or blu ray in the future. I will sit 8' to 10' away from tv .There is alot of windows in the room . All advice would be welcome

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If you plan on keeping the tv for a while and upgrading you should buy the best one you can afford. 1080p is pretty much becoming the standard, but at 32", you probably won't notice a big diff between 720 and 1080. Plasma screens are very reflective, so in a room with lots of windows, you may have problems with that. At 8 to 10' go with the largest screen you can.

You are going to find SD tv on an HD tv to be disappointing. You might want to wait till you can get HD service till you buy one. They will probably be cheaper and you are not going to like watching SD tv very much on HD tvs.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You'd have to check the threads about various tvs. Some probably a little better than others. But none are as good as crt for sd.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/15474363

You'd have to check the threads about various tvs. Some probably a little better than others. But none are as good as crt for sd.

I beg to differ, toshiba's srt technology is as good as a crt, if not better.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by granville /forum/post/15472473

I have about 1000 to 1200 canadian dollars to spend .What would be better ;a very good 32'' like panasonic zl800 or just a good 40'' like sony 's' version or samsung 450. I might even consider the pansonic plasma. There is so many choices of features what ones are really important . I have standard digital from bell express and regular dvd player but don't want limit myself in case of upgrades to hd or blu ray in the future. I will sit 8' to 10' away from tv .There is alot of windows in the room . All advice would be welcome

The only TV that comes to mind is the Samsung LN40A550. You will have more of a selection from 42" sizes.

I like Panasonic Plasmas and their 37" LCDs are very good as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15474479

Your absolutly right there. I went to numerous stores for weeks looking for a new TV. I have several old ones and one finally died. Finally found a store I've heard people rave about called ABT. Went there and saw so many TV's that it made me dizzy. Then as a salesperson pointed out. THINK. How big is the space you want to put the set in? If it's to large will someone bump into it? How far from the set will people be sitting? Is there a lot of light coming into that room while your watching? Will it be wall mounted or on a stand?

So I went home and measured the space and found a 42" diagonal measured TV would fit. Then as he mentioned not much light in that room. The reason is Plasma TV's have Glass, are heavy, and if the room has excessive light, lots of glare. LCD's are the best for most applications.

Next was to compare prices. He pointed out as far as he was concerned the Toshiba was the best for the money. I ended up with a 42", Toshiba, model 42RV530 for about $1,000. However, we have 10% sales taxes here so ended up with well over that. Free delivery and set up.

Been using it for 8 months now and it is the greatest TV set I've ever had.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:

With a lot of windows I would stay away from plasma and anything with a reflective screen. If you are sitting 8-10 ft away I would not get a 32".

You could get a couple of 40 - 42" toshiba in that range.

42rv530u

42rv535u (has srt)

42xv540u

42xv545u (has srt)

40rv525u

The 545 is their premium tv with most of the available features. The 40" 525 is their budget model and is not a regza. It is a very good value but it does not have some of the features the others have. All of the above except for the 545 are available for 1000 usd or less online. The 545 might be a little harder to find for that price.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd go for the panasonic 37 inch lcd (800). There will be others in the toshiba and sony lines similar. Wait for the prices to fall as they just went up. 900 USdollars is the max I would pay shipped.

I think below 37 inches and you are too small. Too much above and you have a massive ugly beast. 37-40 is a nice sweet spot-
I await the 40 inch xbr6 I found on sale but sort of regret not getting the 37 inch panny as I hear lots of issues with the XBR not to mention its overpriced-

Anka

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Toshibas are good. Samsungs (lcd) and Sonys are better.

Panasonic plasmas are also pretty nice.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15474479

SRT is mostly an edge enhancement gimmick. I've had a Toshiba lcd and I currently have a Samsung, and I say that the "Toshiba is the best for sd" proclamation is nothing more than marketing hype. Samsung tvs have better scalers and better deinterlacers, and that's what counts for sd. Samsung doesn't hype their ability to handle sd well, because unlike Toshiba they are actually invested in blu-ray.

Quote:

I have standard digital from bell express and regular dvd player but don't want limit myself in case of upgrades to hd or blu ray in the future. I will sit 8' to 10' away from tv .There is alot of windows in the room . All advice would be welcome

If you mostly watch sd then smaller size is better imo. For mostly sd watching a 32 inch would be fine. For a full 1080p home theater hd experience, 52 inch is what you want (but maybe out of your price range). Those two numbers are based on your viewing distance and resolution.

It's a really matter of taste, some people like me, prefer sharpness over immersion, many prefer immersion at the cost of sharpness. Go over to friends' houses or to stores that feed their tvs sd signals and see if it's fine.

I would say though buy the largest you can afford from the companies you listed from a brick and mortar store and return to get a smaller size if you don't like it, and keep doing that until you're satisfied. Nothing replaces how it feels at home (as opposed to the store). Lighting conditions, room size and furniture placement have a tremendous impact on how the tv looks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
saamsung's also look terrible up close. I set about 7feet away from a 750 at cc, and I wasn't impressed, at all. the only thing nice about the saamsung was it's size, and from about 9 feet away the grain is hardly noticeable.

to me toshiba had better whites and looked better period, if i was to by a hdtv today it be a toshiba 545u, and i would pay more for it then a samsung, and totally feel like i got my moneys worth.

toshiba is the best right now go to a local cc and checkem out, there tv's pop more then any tv i have seen.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15494697

saamsung's also look terrible up close. I set about 7feet away from a 750 at cc, and I wasn't impressed, at all. the only thing nice about the saamsung was it's size, and from about 9 feet away the grain is hardly noticeable.

If you mean noise, that's at the source, unless you're actually claiming that a Samsung lcd (or any name brand lcd for that matter) suffers from dithering noise??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15494697

saamsung's also look terrible up close.

Not in my experience.

Quote:
to me toshiba had better whites and looked better period

Again, not in my experience. I'd take a Samsung 6 Series and up over any Toshiba I've seen.

Toshibas are nice 'value' sets, but they don't seem to compete well against the best LCDs (Samsung, Sony).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts