AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had pretty much settled on buying the Espon Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 UB until I read the review of the Sanyo Z2000 and saw that there is at least a $1100 difference in price. This will be my first projector purchase and I would like the opinions of current owners and seasoned veterans on what might be best for me, here is my setup:

I have a game-room that was just added on to my house with 7.1 speaker placement. The screen is a 92" fiberglass white screen with the white viewing area beginning about 12" from the 9' Ceiling. The projector will be mounted approximately 12' from the screen (as flush as possible, probably about 4") but may not be exactly centered on the screen. Seating will be a couch that is about 10'-11' from the screen. There are several big windows but we have fairly thick drapes that can be closed over all of them. Basically, at night (when we would mostly watch movies), it will be very dark but during the day (sports, maybe some TV, kids watching movies), there will certainly be ambient light. Blu-Ray and DVDs will be played on my Playstation 3 (sometimes games as well).

Here are my questions:

1. Does anybody think that it is worth spending the extra $1100 to get the Epson Home 1080 UB over the Sanyo and why?

2. Does my setup either eliminate either of the two or really favor one over the other?

3. The Sanyo review makes it sound like I might get some screen door effect or pixelation where the Epson does not. Has this been a problem for anyone?

4. Is there another projector that I should be considering? Other than cost, the only other requirement is that it is white to blend wit the ceiling.

5. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to order either of these? I've looked using the links from this site as well as shopping.com, etc and found the Espon for $2639 (not an authorized dealer) and the Sanyo for $1579 (after $600 rebate).

Thanks in advance for the help. This is all new to me but I am really getting excited about it and can't wait to get it all set up

·
Registered
814 Posts
Welcome, new member. I think AVS forum frowns on listing prices, other than MSRP. Also, you need to be careful when you buy AV equipment, because often there is no warranty unless the equipment is bought from an authorized dealer. Be careful about that last point!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
$1100 is a big chunk of change, so only you can decide if it is worthy for you. Don't worry about screen door with 1080p. The main difference is in black level and contrast, which are very important, but since it is your first projector, what you don't know about you won't miss.

I would also look at the benq 5000 which is very close to the Epson in picture quality and costs around $2200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. I am now a bit wiser and feel better about my decision to buy the Sanyo.

Princeton3, your comparison was excellent and made me realize that although the Panasonic may be a bit better, the Sanyo is still a good projector and I just couldn't justify the price difference. Funny thing is, I started out by comparing the Sanyo and the Epson Home 1080 UB and ended up deciding between the Sanyo and Panasonic (after reading your review). I've read through some of the Sanyo Z2000 tweaking thread and feel that I can make this work for me.

I appreciate the heads up on my goof and won't make that mistake again. I do not know how to update the original post but if you can tell me how, I will remove those prices. Also, I had considered the rebates but not the warranty when searching for a dealer so I appreciate that feedback. I did buy the Sanyo from an authorized dealer so I should be safe in that regard.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrusjax /forum/post/14189012

I had pretty much settled on buying the Espon Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 UB until I read the review of the Sanyo Z2000 and saw that there is at least a $1100 difference in price. This will be my first projector purchase and I would like the opinions of current owners and seasoned veterans on what might be best for me, here is my setup:

I have a game-room that was just added on to my house with 7.1 speaker placement. The screen is a 92" fiberglass white screen with the white viewing area beginning about 12" from the 9' Ceiling. The projector will be mounted approximately 12' from the screen (as flush as possible, probably about 4") but may not be exactly centered on the screen. Seating will be a couch that is about 10'-11' from the screen. There are several big windows but we have fairly thick drapes that can be closed over all of them. Basically, at night (when we would mostly watch movies), it will be very dark but during the day (sports, maybe some TV, kids watching movies), there will certainly be ambient light. Blu-Ray and DVDs will be played on my Playstation 3 (sometimes games as well).

Here are my questions:

1. Does anybody think that it is worth spending the extra $1100 to get the Epson Home 1080 UB over the Sanyo and why?

2. Does my setup either eliminate either of the two or really favor one over the other?

3. The Sanyo review makes it sound like I might get some screen door effect or pixelation where the Epson does not. Has this been a problem for anyone?

4. Is there another projector that I should be considering? Other than cost, the only other requirement is that it is white to blend wit the ceiling.

5. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to order either of these? I've looked using the links from this site as well as shopping.com, etc and found the Espon for $2639 (not an authorized dealer) and the Sanyo for $1579 (after $600 rebate).

Thanks in advance for the help. This is all new to me but I am really getting excited about it and can't wait to get it all set up

Go For Epson 1080UB, it brighter, picture quality is better, color out of box is even better. I just recently sold my Z2000 on ebay, it suck badbly, can't handle dark sceen at all.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert2090 /forum/post/14199903

Go For Epson 1080UB, it brighter, picture quality is better, color out of box is even better. I just recently sold my Z2000 on ebay, it suck badbly, can't handle dark sceen at all.

do you now own the epson and have compared them side by side?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Walrusjax,

You are very welcome! Glad you gained something from the thread; I thought you could benefit from it.

Albert2090,

I strongly disagree with you. The Z2000 does not suck by any stretch of the imagination. It has good blacks and the picture quality is only slighter less than the other leading lcd 1080p projectors. If it were a smidgen brighter, it would be hard to select any other projector over it. Just my 2 cents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts