AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been running circles around my amp decision. My local dealer has a McIntosh 8207 (7x200) amp in stock. I can find very little information regarding this amp. What little I have seen seems positive.

I am also considering at a lower price point the Halo A51. I have demoed the A53 and found it a bit "bright" as per most reviews.

How will the A51 compared to the 8207? I know both are great amps in their own right.

The final consideration is an Outlaw amp to save some money; the reviews on this seem very positive, although interest/comments on the brand seem to be very few and far between in recent years. Is this still a good amp compared to the two above?

I want to make a purchase that will last a while. (Famous last words!)

Any help will be appreciated!

These will be driving Martin Logan Motion 60xts as the mains. These may be upgraded down the road.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I am also considering at a lower price point the Halo A51. I have demoed the A53 and found it a bit "bright" as per most reviews.

I think it is important for you to know that it was the reviews that caused you to expect and, therefore, hear "brightness." I suspect the amplifier is good enough not have a sonic signature.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think it is important for you to know that it was the reviews that caused you to expect and, therefore, hear "brightness." I suspect the amplifier is good enough not have a sonic signature.
That's only your opinion. Everyone hears and ears are different.

I don't think there is any sound difference between those amps and if there is extremely minor. Just my opinion. I'd get the mac for look and heavy and reliability even though I'm sure the outlaw will last as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I did a side by side test between the A52 and another 2 channel amp, a Nak PA-7. The Nak definitely sounded better/different, with a bit more low end detail. I understand that the A51 is a better amp than the A52, so I am curious how different they are. The Halo product sits exactly half way between the Mac and Outlaw price points, making it attractive. I have also never heard anyone say anything overtly negative about any Parasound product, so that is not what I am implying here either. I was just not wowed by the A52, which makes me question whether I will like the more expensive and better A51. My heart is leaning towards the Mac, except my wallet is saying Outlaw/A51.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts