AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a college student trying to figure who what TV will fit my needs better. I plan on graduating in the summer, so I don't want a large TV.

I was interested in the Samsung 40" LCD TV LN40C500 and the Insignia 42" Plasma NS-42P650A11 . I would use the TV to watch QAM basic cable programming, connect my Wii and Xbox 360, and my Laptop. I don't want to spend too much, but at the same time I want something that will provide good picture quality.

The plasma is 720P and is a relabeled samsung plasma comparable to c430 series. The LCD is some custom black friday model with only 1 HDMI port, and 1 component cable port, and 1 PC port. The plasma has 2 HDMI ports, 2 component cable ports, and no PC port. The LCD is 1080P and 60 Hz. I currently have a 27 inch Sony Wega TV.

If my primary uses are to watch TV, play video games, and connect my laptop to watch hulu which is a better buy?

·
Registered
304 Posts
If the plasma is a 42c430 samsung then the choice between those 2 is a no brainer for me at least. The plasma set is going to have much better motion resolution, better off axis viewing, better contrast ratio, deeper blacks, and it's 2 inches larger and bigger is better. This is just my personal opinion but I think budget plasmas hands down beat budget LCD's. Budget LCD's just show off the flaws of LCD to such a huge extent while budget plasmas really aren't that bad. If your room is very bright and you cant control the light then get the LCD but other then that your choice should be the plasma. Also with tv's that are that small the benefits of 1080p are almost indistinguishable and that slow 60hz refresh speed of that LCD will cause very blurry high speed motion which will suck for video games.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.