AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and I'm sure there have been a bunch of post like mine but I figured I'd start another just in case someone can help me.

I'm building a new house and want to included a home audio system. I've been researching a couple of brands (niles, Zon, russsound) and I am finding one major flaw. You have to pay a company to come in and set it up. Two places I've talked to said I should expected to budget 10k for the project. I'm only looking at a 4-6 zone system that can run an ipod and FM radio and that seems extreemly excessive.

My needs, the system must be DIY. I am not an idiot and can follow directions, I can pull wires, make connections and program the system without paying in the thousands of dollars for basic stuff.

- DIY Interface

- IPOD controls from the touch pad (so I can change the song etc with out havign to physically go to the ipod)

- 4 - 6 zones (willing to go 4 if it means I can afford it)

- FM radio

I've looked at the Niles z-6, russsound ca6 and the zon 430.

If you have any suggestions for a system that meets my requiments please let me know. I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
 AVS member localnet has described his system in this subforum previously, and he seems very pleased. He bought it from HomeTheaterDirect.com .

Many people DIY Russound and Nuvo, but it can be a real challenge. Nuvo has recently started putting up some roadblocks to DIY, like limiting access to their installer website.

Whatever you choose, make sure you are very familiar with what you need to do, before you buy anything (cable, connectors, amps, etc). Plan ahead for future upgrades/changes. Read the manuals, in depth.

Many people just use zone 2 of a receiver, through impedance matched volume controls (or impedance matched speaker selector box), for distributed audio. I'm replacing this type of system in my house with a Nuvo GC - I want multiple sources, and metadata (song info) at the keypads. Using a single receiver is the way to go if you want only 1 source playing through all the speakers, at one time. Would be good, though, if you wired for a multizone system now, for futureproofing - pull the required cables now while it's easy, for the eventual upgrade.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If about $500 per room is in your budget (excluding the speakers and wiring from the Sonos units to the speakers) I'd go with Sonos. A DIYer's dream. Sets up in 10 minutes, works perfectly, bulletproof and fully featured.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The ZR-6 should be fine to DIY. It's more expensive than the HTD gear, but the HTD won't do iPod control from the keypad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts