AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering buying a Yamaha RX-V765 and am wondering if the RX-V665 would suffice for my purposes. I will be powering Klipsch Rf-62 Mains, Klipsch RC-10 center, Klipsch RS-42 rears, and a Def Tech Prosub 1000. I know the 765 has more power but will there be a noticeable difference in sound quality from the 665 to 765?

The power rating on the 665 is 630W at 1kHz and the 765 is 665W at 20Hz-20kHz and from what I understand the latter is the more efficient way to measure power? I might also add another Prosub1000 to the mix down the road, so is that something that the 665 might have trouble handling?

From what I can tell on the comparison chart at Yamaha.com that is the only difference so if the 665 will be able to handle that stuff with ease then I can save myself some money!

I appreciate your time and input!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes, I think you have it right. The few watts difference between the two AVRs will not be noticeable.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUfan77 /forum/post/18297573

The power rating on the 665 is 630W at 1kHz and the 765 is 665W at 20Hz-20kHz and from what I understand the latter is the more efficient way to measure power? I might also add another Prosub1000 to the mix down the road, so is that something that the 665 might have trouble handling?

From what I can tell on the comparison chart at Yamaha.com that is the only difference so if the 665 will be able to handle that stuff with ease then I can save myself some money!

I appreciate your time and input!

Vendors use the 1Khz rating on low end AVRs to give a higher power output number then would be the case if using the full 20hz-20khz range. The actual power output is more likely to be closer to 60-70W if rated similarly to the 765. Also keep in mind that the 765 weighs a whopping 10lbs more than the 665 which is worth considering. That said, at average listening volume there's not likely to be any noticable difference. And as far as adding a 2nd sub, it won't matter which you choose as it's a "powered" sub with the AVR not providing any of the power.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you're much better served by reviewing each of the respective AVRs Owner's threads to read what actual owners are saying about the AVR.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see, thanks for the input. It would seem that the 765 is the best way to go in regards of power, but a new problem has reared its head!

What about HDMI 1.4 and 3D capabilities?? I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere regarding this receiver. I would really hate to buy this receiver only to have to buy a new one within the year when 3D displays start rolling out in full force.

So, will this receiver be able to pass-through the 3D info to a 3D display or is this already an outdated piece of hardware?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts