AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I currently own Polk RTi A3s. These are used in a small carpeted living room in a 2.1 setup. My sub is a Dayton 10 inch. Music and movies. About a 50/50 split of both. Receiver is a Denon AVR-S500BT.

I got the Polk RTi A3s for free from a friend at Polk about 6 years ago. They are fine but I feel like they have no personality and are not fun or exciting to listen to.

Why Wharfedale? I got to hear a few models just window shopping on a business trip about 6 months ago and have been thinking about them ever since. I don’t remember the models but the thing I do remember is the sound signature. I enjoyed the laid back warm sound. That is how my ears perceived it. I remember making a mental note that this was the next brand for me.

I listen to a little bit of everything. Jazz, metal, soul, rap & hip hop, top 40, EDM, classical, classic rock. I do appreciate a good solid clean low end extension. I was really considering the EVO 4.1 but this was before I realized it was only a 5 inch woofer. Next I started looking at the 4.2 but have read mixed reviews and people ranking the 4.1s over the 4.2.

The diamond 11.2 seems to be an affordable option that also offers a 6.5 inch woofer.

I am confident that any of these 3 models will blow me away. I don’t think it’s possible for me to be disappointed by any of them. I just want some outside input and opinions to help guide me and give me some confidence in my purchase.

I have looked locally and called many places. They are not available to listen in person. Thanks for any input or buying advice! Help me choose. Ask for any more details. I’m happy to provide it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the Diamond 8.1 for a couple years, that's my only experience with Wharfedale. Everything on the speaker was cheap, still I liked the sound! It impressed me and it had more lows that it should, in the end I foolishly part trade it. I thought the 8.2 would be the similar with more low end but someone told me it wasn't and the 8.1 was better. It was late though, I couldn't find it because the 9 line had been released. I auditioned the 9 (1 or 2 I can't remember) and it sounded different, I didn't like it even though the salesman pointed out the improvements over the previous line.

I also listen different types of music and I wouldn't choose a small speaker to be my main unless I had a good sub (or subs), between the 4.1 & 4.2 I would go with the second if I couldn't audition them. It's a three way speaker, having a mid dome should make it more balanced than the small one. I always think Wharfedale as a cheap brand though, I can't see myself buying their speakers unless I could audition first. There are other brands I would buy their speakers cause I know their "family" sound and trust them. Wharfedale is supposed to be smooth sounding but they have changed a lot over the years. I suggest to audition several speakers from different brands and if you don't find something you like to order the Evo's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the Diamond 8.1 for a couple years, that's my only experience with Wharfedale. Everything on the speaker was cheap, still I liked the sound! It impressed me and it had more lows that it should, in the end I foolishly part trade it. I thought the 8.2 would be the similar with more low end but someone told me it wasn't and the 8.1 was better. It was late though, I couldn't find it because the 9 line had been released. I auditioned the 9 (1 or 2 I can't remember) and it sounded different, I didn't like it even though the salesman pointed out the improvements over the previous line.

I also listen different types of music and I wouldn't choose a small speaker to be my main unless I had a good sub (or subs), between the 4.1 & 4.2 I would go with the second if I couldn't audition them. It's a three way speaker, having a mid dome should make it more balanced than the small one. I always think Wharfedale as a cheap brand though, I can't see myself buying their speakers unless I could audition first. There are other brands I would buy their speakers cause I know their "family" sound and trust them. Wharfedale is supposed to be smooth sounding but they have changed a lot over the years. I suggest to audition several speakers from different brands and if you don't find something you like to order the Evo's.
MindRise

I greatly appreciate your feedback and experience with Wharfedale. I am at the beginning of my journey into the world of quality sound. So I guess quality is relative to the listener and where they are at in their respective journey. I'd love to hear your recommendations for speakers under $1000 range. Exploring other brands may lead me to find a local dealer to audition them before buying. I could even possibly order 2 sets and see what works best in my environment. The only thing I know is that I did enjoy the Wharfedale sound signature and really DON'T enjoy Klipsch's or Focal sound signatures. The highs in both of those (that I have heard from these brands) were a little much for me. Not bad but just not to my personal liking. Maybe that will help guide you with some suggestions if you have any. Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
...really DON'T enjoy Klipsch's or Focal

I had the Klipsch RF3 II for a couple years. Klipsch speakers are impressive in the beginning but when you listen for hours the highs can be tiring. Some people say the recent lines sound smoother. I still like their speakers from the Heritage line but they don't excel on everything and for the money I would always choose something else. I have auditioned several Focals, even from the Grand Utopia line. I admire their ideas and how well built they are but I find their sound uninvolving. I feel the same about the mighty KEF LS50, impressive construction but I don't like the sound of either the passive or active version.

I would suggest anything that's in your budget from Dali, Elac, Dynaudio, B&W, Chario, Vienna Acoustics. Start with the Elac DBR62, it looks like a good speaker. Don't forget second hand, you can buy much better speakers normally not in your budget. I'm not suggesting vintage speakers but a 10 year old well used speaker is fine. Most people take good care of their equimpent.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I currently own Polk RTi A3s. These are used in a small carpeted living room in a 2.1 setup. My sub is a Dayton 10 inch. Music and movies. About a 50/50 split of both. Receiver is a Denon AVR-S500BT.

I got the Polk RTi A3s for free from a friend at Polk about 6 years ago. They are fine but I feel like they have no personality and are not fun or exciting to listen to.

Why Wharfedale? I got to hear a few models just window shopping on a business trip about 6 months ago and have been thinking about them ever since. I don’t remember the models but the thing I do remember is the sound signature. I enjoyed the laid back warm sound. That is how my ears perceived it. I remember making a mental note that this was the next brand for me.

I listen to a little bit of everything. Jazz, metal, soul, rap & hip hop, top 40, EDM, classical, classic rock. I do appreciate a good solid clean low end extension. I was really considering the EVO 4.1 but this was before I realized it was only a 5 inch woofer. Next I started looking at the 4.2 but have read mixed reviews and people ranking the 4.1s over the 4.2.

The diamond 11.2 seems to be an affordable option that also offers a 6.5 inch woofer.

I am confident that any of these 3 models will blow me away. I don’t think it’s possible for me to be disappointed by any of them. I just want some outside input and opinions to help guide me and give me some confidence in my purchase.

I have looked locally and called many places. They are not available to listen in person. Thanks for any input or buying advice! Help me choose. Ask for any more details. I’m happy to provide it.
The Evo 4.1 & 4.2 are available at Crutchfield. You can order both and try them in your own home.

Return policy is 60 days and $10.00 each.

Worst case scenario...your out $20.00.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Hey everyone,

As mentioned, order two pairs from Crutchfield and send the losing pair home within 60 days and the return shipping charge will actually be zero if you keep a pair as that charge would then come out of your rewards points.

Have fun.

BTW, if you end up with a pair that are $600 or less you have enough money in your budget to upgrade your sub to the RSL Speedwoofer which is $400...free returns on that if not happy.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts

You could audition the Diamond 225 and 11.2, plus either of the Evos---Crutchfield gives you a sweet $10 flat rate return shipping for bookshelf pairs.

The 11.2 is the current version of the 225; I prefer its more conservative aesthetic, but some people like or don't mind the 225's shiny woofer rings. I have read a few user reviews reporting that the 11x series is more "neutral" than the 22x and 10x preceding series, FWIW. The 225 is currently on sale for $100 less than the 11.2 if you're looking to save a little money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Evo 4.1 & 4.2 are available at Crutchfield. You can order both and try them in your own home.

Return policy is 60 days and $10.00 each.

Worst case scenario...your out $20.00.
I did not realize Crutchfield offered that. I am now considering ordering 3 pairs of speakers.

Here is my order list right now (open to suggestions):

• ELAC Debut Reference DBR62
  • SVS Prime Bookshelf
  • Wharfedale EVO4.1
Once I decide on speakers I will be adding an SVS PB-1000 or Monolith THX to my setup to replace my Dayton 10.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could audition the Diamond 225 and 11.2, plus either of the Evos---Crutchfield gives you a sweet $10 flat rate return shipping for bookshelf pairs.

The 11.2 is the current version of the 225; I prefer its more conservative aesthetic, but some people like or don't mind the 225's shiny woofer rings. I have read a few user reviews reporting that the 11x series is more "neutral" than the 22x and 10x preceding series, FWIW. The 225 is currently on sale for $100 less than the 11.2 if you're looking to save a little money.
Thanks for the info. I bet I could go with the Diamonds to save some money and possibly put that towards a new AV Receiver or a power amp. I never new deciding on speakers would be such a task.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I did not realize Crutchfield offered that. I am now considering ordering 3 pairs of speakers.

• SVS Prime Bookshelf
  • Wharfedale EVO4.1
Once I decide on speakers I will be adding an SVS PB-1000 or Monolith THX to my setup to replace my Dayton 10.
Like RSL and JBL, SVS provides free return shipping on ALL of their products, so I would just order directly from them and use Crutchfield for speakers you can't find with free/subsidized return shipping anywhere else.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Thanks for the info. I bet I could go with the Diamonds to save some money and possibly put that towards a new AV Receiver or a power amp. I never new deciding on speakers would be such a task.
Heh, it can actually be a lot of fun, and not very expensive given the free/subsidized return shipping options that exist these days.

Actually being able to listen to speakers at home, using YOUR gear and subject to YOUR room acoustics, with zero sales pressure or time constraints (30-60 days usually)---is a real blessing.

Anyway, try not to overthink it...just enjoy the process!

·
Registered
21,464 Posts

• SVS Prime Bookshelf
  • Wharfedale EVO4.1
Looking forward to your impressions.

Note on Crutchfield's bookshelf return policy; it's $10/box.

Generally if they are sold in pairs only, then they likely come in one box.

If they are sold individually it will be two boxes.

Just FYI.

Order the SVS direct from SVS of course as they offer free returns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Note on Crutchfield's bookshelf return policy; it's $10/box.

Generally if they are sold in pairs only, then they likely come in one box.

If they are sold individually it will be two boxes.

Just FYI.

Order the SVS direct from SVS of course as they offer free returns.
Ok I went ahead and ordered the Wharfedale EVO 4.1 White and SVS Prime Bookshelf's Piano Black to start. I like the look of both speakers and am excited to audition them in a 2.0 setup. If one of these fits my needs I will send the other back and probably order an RLS 10s.

I think both of these will be great to my ears so it will be a win whichever way I go. Especially since I know this is not an endgame speaker but a first step into my journey.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh, it can actually be a lot of fun, and not very expensive given the free/subsidized return shipping options that exist these days.

Actually being able to listen to speakers at home, using YOUR gear and subject to YOUR room acoustics, with zero sales pressure or time constraints (30-60 days usually)---is a real blessing.

Anyway, try not to overthink it...just enjoy the process!
I took your advice on not overthinking and ordering from Crutchfield. I was also considering the Revel Concerta2 M16 but they were at the top of my budget and I would have to wait on upgrading my sub if I ended up keeping them. Ended up ordering Wharfedale EVO 4.1 and SVS Prime Bookshelf's. Will report back once I give them both a listen. The winner will be paired with an RSL 10s.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Ended up ordering Wharfedale EVO 4.1 and SVS Prime Bookshelf's. Will report back once I give them both a listen. The winner will be paired with an RSL 10s.
Wow, that's going to be a very clear cut decision one way or another, because the two will be virtually bipolar opposites of each other. Have fun!

PS. Make sure you compare them WITH the sub running since that's how you will be actually using the winner, otherwise your choice will be heavily biased by whichever speaker has more mid-bass output (the Primes by a wide margin).

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
My sub is a Dayton 10 inch...Wharfedale...
We happen to have spent some time listening to EVO 4.4 at Audio Element. A fine speaker, but we didn't like it as much as the previous Reva 4. Mostly because it had a narrow sweet spot, you really had to be sitting right out in front. Now that is a tower, but the same will apply to the other models which have the same driver array. Maybe it's my design prejudices as a loudspeaker designer but I was unconvinced by the marriage of big dome mid and ribbon. (And while I do like the delicacy ribbons can bring however they tend to be directional).

The Diamond 11.2 didn't have quite the detail something of the more expensive Evo (and Reva) but sounded very pleasant playing Zeppelin and ...Diana Krall? I forget what all we heard, since it was someone else's demo. They sounded super nice all throughout the shop. If I had to listen only to these until I died, eh, it would be OK. Read through this https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-112-loudspeaker the port tuning is low for a bookshelf, 41Hz, so they should not bottom out as much as typical bookshelf speakers tuned higher.

But forget all that. Get the Lintons!! Just $1500 WITH the cool retro matching stands!! Those sounded totally fabulous, whether on Miles Davis or a bunch of other types of music. Low tuned but lemme tell ya an 8" woofer and bigger ports outdoes something like the Diamond, you could sell off your subwoofer (or move up to like a giant 12" heh heh). A really fine design. If I had to listen only to these until I died, yes there are better speakers (for a bunch more $$$), but these would be totally fine by me.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-linton-heritage-loudspeaker

By the way how IS your sub connected and integrated?

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
We happen to have spent some time listening to EVO 4.4 at Audio Element. A fine speaker, but we didn't like it as much as the previous Reva 4. Mostly because it had a narrow sweet spot, you really had to be sitting right out in front. Now that is a tower, but the same will apply to the other models which have the same driver array. Maybe it's my design prejudices as a loudspeaker designer but I was unconvinced by the marriage of big dome mid and ribbon. (And while I do like the delicacy ribbons can bring however they tend to be directional).

The Diamond 11.2 didn't have quite the detail something of the more expensive Evo (and Reva) but sounded very pleasant playing Zeppelin and ...Diana Krall? I forget what all we heard, since it was someone else's demo. They sounded super nice all throughout the shop. If I had to listen only to these until I died, eh, it would be OK. Read through this https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-112-loudspeaker the port tuning is low for a bookshelf, 41Hz, so they should not bottom out as much as typical bookshelf speakers tuned higher.

But forget all that. Get the Lintons!! Just $1500 WITH the cool retro matching stands!! Those sounded totally fabulous, whether on Miles Davis or a bunch of other types of music. Low tuned but lemme tell ya an 8" woofer and bigger ports outdoes something like the Diamond, you could sell off your subwoofer (or move up to like a giant 12" heh heh). A really fine design. If I had to listen only to these until I died, yes there are better speakers (for a bunch more $$$), but these would be totally fine by me.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-linton-heritage-loudspeaker
How did the Diamond 11 series sound compared to the 10x or 22x series? I've read a few user reviews which found the 11x to be almost "too" neutral in comparison. Was that your impression too?

I'd love a pair of Lintons myself, but have a hard time with their retro looks.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
How did the Diamond 11 series sound compared to the 10x or 22x series? I've read a few user reviews which found the 11x to be almost "too" neutral in comparison. Was that your impression too?
I'd love a pair of Lintons myself, but have a hard time with their retro looks.
I couldn't say, I haven't heard those other series. I felt that the 11.2 was not quite as refined as other albeit significantly more stuff we'd been listening to (Monitor Audio Silver 300, Focal 936, Revel whatever the $1600 tower is). However for my taste they did not have any annoying prominence or deficit, which is saying something. The Lintons looks, perhaps not matching living rooms true. But remind me in a warm retro way of speakers I built when I was a teenager getting into speakers so much it inspired me to go to engineering school and do it for a living. :)
And their looks are kind of...honest. Retro but timeless in a way. Exactly the same height (on their stands) as the other towers, interestingly. Their designer says the mid sound is helped by launch from the wider baffle compared to the typical skinny towers these days.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I took your advice on not overthinking and ordering from Crutchfield. I was also considering the Revel Concerta2 M16 but they were at the top of my budget and I would have to wait on upgrading my sub if I ended up keeping them. Ended up ordering Wharfedale EVO 4.1 and SVS Prime Bookshelf's. Will report back once I give them both a listen. The winner will be paired with an RSL 10s.
Another free return shipping option that's just popped up is the JBL 530 which is again on sale for just $300/pr:
https://www.jbl.com/studio-5-series/

Look up Gary Mertz's multi-bookshelf shootout thread, where the JBLs came out on top against some very well respected speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another free return shipping option that's just popped up is the JBL 530 which is again on sale for just $300/pr:
https://www.jbl.com/studio-5-series/

Look up Gary Mertz's multi-bookshelf shootout thread, where the JBLs came out on top against some very well respected speakers.
I just came back to this thread to ask if I should order these for the price to add to the list. Seeing this I've just ordered a set. So 3 speakers to audition.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts