AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally saved up the funds to purchase a new television and am having trouble deciding between technologies and manufactuer's. I really don't want to spend too much north of $4500 and am looking to purchase something larger than 46" (ideally 50-60"). I have several friends that own the Samsung HLN 61" and love it.

My room space is approximately 22x18 and I currently am running standard cable (although plan on upgrading to digital). I have read about some of the Sony KF series and am very interested in those as well. I felt that the picture on the Samsung appeared a little Grainy/pixlated, but felt that it was the better picture in HD.

If anyone would be willing to give me some advice/guidence on making this purchase. If I am overlooking a certain model or brand, please let me know. Any accessory suggestions would be much appreciated as well. Like I said, I have finally saved up the money and this is a big investment for me. Any advice/opinions that anyone could give on my situation (i.e cable and space constraints) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
$4500 is a huge wad and gives you a lot of flexibility...

Your first step should be to determine what KIND of TV you want... CRT RP, LCD RP, DLP, LCOS, or some kind of plasma.

Once you get your heard set on a range it will be easier for you to decide what exact TV you want.

I mostly say that because a CRT RP seems to have the best picture if you can afford the floorspace, and you have to sit mostly in front of it.

LCD RP and DLP are a nice blend of smallness and budget

Plasma has the max in cool factor, small size and will also make your wallet the thinnest.

Next, don't worry about digital cable, the picture isn't any better anyway, and only channels > 100 are digital anyway. You will absolutely want HDTV reception, either over the air or through your cable company or satellite. Consider that when you are deciding whether to get an integrated tuner or not - I don't think it's worth it unless you are ONLY going to get HD over the air.

Each kind of TV has picture "issues" - find out what they are and see if you can live with them. It already sounds like you determined DLP is ok for you, now check out the rest of them. Make sure you watch a SD broadcase signal, they all look fantastic in HD.

Have fun!

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
I love my 56" Samsung DLP. If you are 9-11' from the TV, then 56" would be perfect. If you are >12' away, then go for the 61" model. If you will be getting cable, then you don't need an integrated tuner. Make sure to get high def cable (you usually need to buy standard plus digital cable to get HD cable). I wouldn't bother with any of these TVs if you're not going to get HD cable. Just make sure to watch your friends' DLP to make sure you don't see rainbows (most people don't).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.