AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm long time lurker and new member of the AVS forum. I'm thinking about buying the Magnepan MMG's for my living room that will be a part of a 5.1 surround setup but I have a few questions about them as well as choice of sub, amp, and receiver first.

I've done a lot of research on the MMG's and I want to emphasize that listening to movie content comes second to music and I'm aware they're not as dynamic as some speakers can be for the full cinema effect. The room they'll be in measures 13x18 with 13' ceilings so roughly 3000 cubic feet of airspace. Here's the components I've chosen so far for my setup:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V779
I chose this receiver mainly for the 7.2 pre-outs so I can run my own amp and 4K pass through for "future proofing" and I have the ability to expand to a 7.2 setup in the future.

Dedicated Amp: Monoprice Monolith 7 channel
I've heard great things for the price. It has 300 watts full bandwidth power at 4 ohms (each channel, or 375 at 1kHz) from a class A/B design cloned from an Outlaw Audio amp.

Subwoofer: SVS SB 2000
From what I understand this is a great home theater sub that can be musical as well. It's a sealed enclosure with 19-220Hz frequency response from a 12" driver at 500 watts RMS
(1100 peak)

Here's my questions:

1. Will the MMG's fill the room well enough if I chose to run two channel stereo for music?
2. Is the Amp sufficient enough make the non sensitive Maggies sing well?
3. Will the MMG's sound good with Rock/Classic rock with the sub woofer I have chosen?
4. Will the SVS SB 2000 be powerful enough to pressurize and get a good sound in the room specified?
5. Is there anything in my setup that can be substituted for better within the same price range?

Some of my questions may be hard to answer because acoustical environments are never the same but any input is appreciated. I'm not so worried about the center and rear speakers at the moment because I have some old speakers I can use for now until I'm ready to upgrade.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
The answer is, it depends. How far away are you seated? How loud do you want to listen? Is it more important to get a good crossover point with the speakers or sonic boom in movies (if you want both, it'll cost you)? Lastly, do you have the room to place them properly, perhaps as much as four feet from any walls?

If you haven't already, look and ask here ...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1086093-official-magnepan-owners-thread-159.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be 8' 9" away from the MMG's. I'd like to be able to hit 80-85 db at least at my listening position with peaks at 95 if possible. It is more important to get a good crossover point than sonic boom in movies. I have room to move them 2-4 feet from the rear wall but I may be confined to about 2-3 feet on sidewalls. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts