AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys,

Putting together first man cave, so I'm pretty excited.  Have a projector HT setup that needs some good surround sound.  Also will be upgrading my receiver (5 year old Yamaha 7.1).  Considering the Denon 3313ci but want to make sure that would be powerful enough for any speaker setup I run.  I never used more than 5.1 but with the man cave finally ready for this type of devotion, I could consider going 7.1 or possibly 7.2+ so I want to have some options for that with whatever receiver I get.

As for speakers themselves, I have read a bit but there are so many options it is tough for me (relatively new) to narrow it down.  Lots of big names and reputable companies make seemingly similar products, so maybe there is no "wrong" choice but I figured this was the place to go to get some help.  I know budget is a big part of what helps determine; I'd say this is a work in progress that can be built on over the years, so I'd like quality speakers that I can use to replace my JBL older/smaller setup over time.  My assumption would be to replace the front speakers first and then work my way back.  I would probably not want to be spending too much more than $1000 on a pair of front speakers, but if there are some just beyond that then I could stretch the budget.  As these are going to be built to last, I want to get speakers I can be content with.  Maybe $1000 is embarrassingly low for a pair of solid front speakers?  I don't know, but that's why I'm here!

For subwoofer, I have read some great things on the VTF-15H being a high value and high quality sub.  I'd say that pricing ($879 last I checked online) is about my limit on a subwoofer alone.

I'd say 90% will be for movies/TV/gaming, 10% only for music.  Thank you guys for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
31,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131  /t/1523453/need-help-deciding-on-new-ht-audio-setup#post_24507212

Hey guys,

Putting together first man cave, so I'm pretty excited.  Have a projector HT setup that needs some good surround sound.  Also will be upgrading my receiver (5 year old Yamaha 7.1).  Considering the Denon 3313ci but want to make sure that would be powerful enough for any speaker setup I run.  I never used more than 5.1 but with the man cave finally ready for this type of devotion, I could consider going 7.1 or possibly 7.2+ so I want to have some options for that with whatever receiver I get.

As for speakers themselves, I have read a bit but there are so many options it is tough for me (relatively new) to narrow it down.  Lots of big names and reputable companies make seemingly similar products, so maybe there is no "wrong" choice but I figured this was the place to go to get some help.  I know budget is a big part of what helps determine; I'd say this is a work in progress that can be built on over the years, so I'd like quality speakers that I can use to replace my JBL older/smaller setup over time.  My assumption would be to replace the front speakers first and then work my way back.  I would probably not want to be spending too much more than $1000 on a pair of front speakers, but if there are some just beyond that then I could stretch the budget.  As these are going to be built to last, I want to get speakers I can be content with.  Maybe $1000 is embarrassingly low for a pair of solid front speakers?  I don't know, but that's why I'm here!

For subwoofer, I have read some great things on the VTF-15H being a high value and high quality sub.  I'd say that pricing ($879 last I checked online) is about my limit on a subwoofer alone.

I'd say 90% will be for movies/TV/gaming, 10% only for music.  Thank you guys for any help you can provide!

What levels do you like to listen?

What is the listening distance?

Towers, book shelf on stands or in-wall?

Will these be close to a wall?

We would be happy to discuss and help with selection and pricing. Give us a call.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6  /t/1523453/need-help-deciding-on-new-ht-audio-setup#post_24507387

Could we have the size of the room, please?

Thanks.

The main listening area of the room (in front of the projector viewing area) is about 12.5' x 15' and 7' high ceiling.  So, the projector (and front speakers, receiver, subwoofer) area will be along that front 12.5' long wall, and the back speakers I want to place right near the back of the seating area (15' from the front wall) and they would be aiming at an angle towards the back row probably.  The room itself is shaped in a dog leg style, it extends further back than that 15' to a total length of about 24', and it also expands to the left (when looking at the front wall) about another 10', however, this area would just be used to occupy people hanging out during a sporting event or family party.  Perhaps I would put an extra speaker or two here for music listening or added volume during a sport game broadcast etc, but would not be vital as far as movie sound.

I will try to add pictures later tonight to give a better idea of this, but I hope that description is not too overly complicated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1523453/need-help-deciding-on-new-ht-audio-setup#post_24507470

What levels do you like to listen?

What is the listening distance?

Towers, book shelf on stands or in-wall?

Will these be close to a wall?

We would be happy to discuss and help with selection and pricing. Give us a call.

I am a little new to some of the terminology, so please forgive any "stupid" answers as I may just not fully understand the question or know how to properly answer with the right information.

I really like some bass kick typically, for movies especially.  Sports and general TV watching that may be a little annoying having constant pounding of a bass, but for movies I think that adds to the experience.  As far as levels go, I guess that would mean I probably prefer the lows to mids.

Listening distance would be anywhere from 9 feet to 15 feet from the front speakers.  Ideal seating I'd want to be on the closer end of that, like 9 or 10 feet from the front.

I'd love to do in-wall, but the limited space and lack of space IN the wall itself would require me to either put up a new wall that is deeper or find super flat speakers, so due to this and the inconvenience it would add I'd probably opt for some Towers or hang-able speakers and then have the center speaker be able to sit in a console about 16" in height that would be below the projector screen.  The back/side speakers would probably best be mountable speakers that could be placed on the wall.

As a result of the tight space, they should definitely be pretty close to walls, all the speakers would be.  Probably no more than a foot away for the front speakers, and then ideally mountable for the back speakers.  Subwoofer placement is up in the air and I am unsure the ideal spot for those typically.

Thanks and let me know if I missed something or answered anything without the proper information.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Is your screen acoustically transparent? Its best to have speakers mounted and seated ear height.

Your budget for a 5.1 set-up is $2,000 for 5 speakers and subwoofer right?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1523453/need-help-deciding-on-new-ht-audio-setup#post_24507674

Is your screen acoustically transparent? Its best to have speakers mounted and seated ear height.

Your budget for a 5.1 set-up is $2,000 for 5 speakers and subwoofer right?

I opted for a non AT screen due to the mentioned limitations with the wall space, so I just plan to put the speakers on the sides of the screen and the center one just below it.

As far as budget, and maybe this is not really a great way to do it, but I was thinking about replacing the JBL speakers I currently have progressively; that is, replace the front two and center speakers first with a set of speakers in the $1000 to $2000 range, and keep the JBL in the back and space out the purchases, and then replace the back ones in due time for maybe $1000 total.  I am unsure what type of quality that budget could get me, if it is drastically not enough for good quality or if it is just right or if it is "too much" for my needs as far as sound quality.

So, to be less confusing, here's the budget broken down (in my brain):

Subwoofer = $800 or so, really eying that VTF-15H (is that overkill, or a great quality sub, or not recommended?)

Front three speakers = $1000 to $2000 total

Back two speakers (eventually) = $1000 total

Ideally I think I'd like them to be the same brand due to aesthetics, but maybe that's not that big of a deal?  Do people typically mix and match brands, or stick with one brand for any reason, or is that just a per person preference?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131  /t/1523453/need-help-deciding-on-new-ht-audio-setup#post_24507720

I opted for a non AT screen due to the mentioned limitations with the wall space, so I just plan to put the speakers on the sides of the screen and the center one just below it.

As far as budget, and maybe this is not really a great way to do it, but I was thinking about replacing the JBL speakers I currently have progressively; that is, replace the front two and center speakers first with a set of speakers in the $1000 to $2000 range, and keep the JBL in the back and space out the purchases, and then replace the back ones in due time for maybe $1000 total.  I am unsure what type of quality that budget could get me, if it is drastically not enough for good quality or if it is just right or if it is "too much" for my needs as far as sound quality.

So, to be less confusing, here's the budget broken down (in my brain):

Subwoofer = $800 or so, really eying that VTF-15H (is that overkill, or a great quality sub, or not recommended?)

Front three speakers = $1000 to $2000 total

Back two speakers (eventually) = $1000 total

Ideally I think I'd like them to be the same brand due to aesthetics, but maybe that's not that big of a deal?  Do people typically mix and match brands, or stick with one brand for any reason, or is that just a per person preference?
Up to $3k for front speakers and surrounds is a substantial budget, there are many options within that budget. Have you gone to any local audio stores in your area to listen to what they have?

The HSU VTF-15h is certainly a great subwoofer, keep in mind the shipping cost of it as well. There are other internet direct company's to look at like SVS Sound , Rythmik , or PSA . One great thing with SVS is they offer a risk free in home trial period with their subwoofers. I never think a person can go too big with a subwoofer. You can always turn the subwoofer down slightly to not over power you. Besides the receiver will calibrate it to you room also. You can only turn up a subwoofer so much before you run into powers so I feel this is an area to over buy.

Going in stages is a great idea. Start with the front 3 speakers or subwoofer. Matching surrounds is not necessary most people feel but in reality I'd like to think most people here have matching surrounds with their system. No real need to match the subwoofer though.

Is it possible to take some pictures of your room so we can get a better idea of the lay out? (I tried to envision it from your description and got lost.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1523453/need-help-deciding-on-new-ht-audio-setup#post_24507865

Up to $3k for front speakers and surrounds is a substantial budget, there are many options within that budget. Have you gone to any local audio stores in your area to listen to what they have?

The HSU VTF-15h is certainly a great subwoofer, keep in mind the shipping cost of it as well. There are other internet direct company's to look at like SVS Sound , Rythmik , or PSA . One great thing with SVS is they offer a risk free in home trial period with their subwoofers. I never think a person can go too big with a subwoofer. You can always turn the subwoofer down slightly to not over power you. Besides the receiver will calibrate it to you room also. You can only turn up a subwoofer so much before you run into powers so I feel this is an area to over buy.

Going in stages is a great idea. Start with the front 3 speakers or subwoofer. Matching surrounds is not necessary most people feel but in reality I'd like to think most people here have matching surrounds with their system. No real need to match the subwoofer though.

Is it possible to take some pictures of your room so we can get a better idea of the lay out? (I tried to envision it from your description and got lost.)

Yeah, sorry about that.  I tried to paint a picture with my words and it became more of an abstract haha.

So you think the VTF-15H is the way to go for the subwoofer?  I am not sure if 2 of them is really all that necessary, maybe I don't need a 7.2 receiver but 7.1?

I have been to Best Buy to hear some options, but I suppose they are probably not the greatest purchasing option.  Are there any stores you recommend?  I am in the western suburbs of Chicago, IL; I am sure I can google some higher end audio places to get a true feel for some sound.  Are there any name brands in that price range that you would recommend for the fronts and surrounds?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts