AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm sure you guys see a hundred posts like this a day, but maybe that's just an indication of how complex and difficult the TV industry has become. I'm in the market for a new TV and I think i've narrowed it down to a list of brands and model numbers but I'm really stuck comparing them all and unfortunately for me I do not have any options of going to a store to look at them because the only store left in business in this town selling electronics is Costco and they just don't have the selection.

So here is what I have in my amazon shopping cart, god forbid I accidentally use one click purchase and buy all of them...

Panasonic TH-42PZ85U (Plasma) - Looks nice but I'm not too keen on the near 600 watt power draw.

Toshiba Regza 42XV545U - Probably the number one choice, but priced a little higher than i'd like and I have had really terrible past experiences with toshiba displays and their customer serivce.

Sony Bravia KDL-42V4100 - Probably the safest bet here, but I was really looking to get into the 120hz market with this purchase.

Sharp Aquos LC42D85U - Looks good, however contrast ratio seems lower than comparable models and I worry about banding issues with these.

Please help? Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went by my costco on the way home to see what I could find. The only thing remotely close was another Toshiba 42XV540U, looked pretty good to me but given that I wasn't able to actually compare it to anything in that class at the store I'm still somewhat undecided. I also need to figure out a way that I can trust Toshiba again.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Where da heck do you live? You can't do a weekend road trip to a nearby city to view a bunch of TVs?

·
Registered
185 Posts
What's it being used for?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we used to have a circuit city and a compusa, both went out of business in the last year.
They are building a best buy but it won't be finished until around June. Nearest shopping center that would have something is about 50 miles. I may go this weekend, but I always hate how I end up at these stores and never finding the exact same model i'm considering. I forgot, we do have a sears too but their selection has been dismal they all look like left over 2007 models.

Use will be primary TV, movies, blu-ray, xbox gaming etc. It will be in the living room with a few feet away from a large sliding glass door that runs perpendicular to where the TV will be.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I hear ya.

Best thing you could probably do is

1) lay out your exact needs in detail (including what things you care about most regarding picture quality), which will...

2) allow the ppl here to help you generate a short list of appropriate TVs,

3) then go on the road trip, view some models for yourself, then

4) either buy there, Costco, or via a good online retailer such as Amazon or NewEgg (and save some $$$).

Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, figured i should have probably included some more detail.

My requirements, which most these sets meet:

1. Major/quality brand, unless someone can convince me that a vizio is a reliable product.

2. 1080p Display

3. 42" ideal size, set can be no wider than about 40.5" in width i could maybe squeeze in 41". So given, I would like to maximize the TV size for the space I have and 42" seems about it but I wouldn't rule out a 40" if it was superb quality.

4. 120HZ, unless someone can convince me it's not necessary I just hate spending a lot of money and not buying the newest tech.

5. 10-Bit display panel

6. Minimal power usage, 600 watts for a plasma is a bit much would like to see no more than 300 watts.

7. Price is around or under $1200, I could go higher but would need good reasons.

8. Good contrast, I like my blacks to be black not gray.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar /forum/post/15467757

Hello everyone,

I'm sure you guys see a hundred posts like this a day, but maybe that's just an indication of how complex and difficult the TV industry has become. I'm in the market for a new TV and I think i've narrowed it down to a list of brands and model numbers but I'm really stuck comparing them all and unfortunately for me I do not have any options of going to a store to look at them because the only store left in business in this town selling electronics is Costco and they just don't have the selection.

So here is what I have in my amazon shopping cart, god forbid I accidentally use one click purchase and buy all of them...

Panasonic TH-42PZ85U (Plasma) - Looks nice but I'm not too keen on the near 600 watt power draw.

Toshiba Regza 42XV545U - Probably the number one choice, but priced a little higher than i'd like and I have had really terrible past experiences with toshiba displays and their customer serivce.

Sony Bravia KDL-42V4100 - Probably the safest bet here, but I was really looking to get into the 120hz market with this purchase.

Sharp Aquos LC42D85U - Looks good, however contrast ratio seems lower than comparable models and I worry about banding issues with these.

Please help? Thanks.

The only two I would consider out of what you listed is the panny plasma and the sony lcd. Don't get caught up in the listed power consumption. When properly calibrated, power consumption isn't all the much more on a plasma... I am talking within 10% of a comparable sized LCD.

Beyond that, some people prefer the look of LCD, some plasma. I think you need to go out and view these displays before perchasing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd say go for the Panasonic too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
my choice would be the sharp or the Panny

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar /forum/post/15469871

3. 42" ideal size, set can be no wider than about 40.5" in width i could maybe squeeze in 41". So given, I would like to maximize the TV size for the space I have and 42" seems about it but I wouldn't rule out a 40" if it was superb quality.

Just as a heads-up, if the max width for the set is going to be 40.5" or 41", you're going to have to be very careful and review spec sheets if buying a 42" or even a 40" set.

There are some 42" Samsung plasmas, for example, that measure 41.5" wide. There's also a 40" Samsung 7 Series LCD that measures 40.9" across. Now, a lot of 40" and 42" sets will fit your width requirement, but a few won't.

Also bear in mind that the visual difference in size between a 40" and 42" screen ain't much.

Quote:
6. Minimal power usage, 600 watts for a plasma is a bit much would like to see no more than 300 watts.

CNET reviews are a very good thing to check out, since they list the power draw at the very end of the review (bottom of page 2, usually).

Quote:
7. Price is around or under $1200, I could go higher but would need good reasons.

Would recommend going to NewEgg.com and Amazon a lot and checking prices, since a lot of the good stuff in 40" and 42" is going to be right up against your budget limits. So the online price advantage may be key, if you're open to it. Or one heckuva a Costco short-time deal.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar /forum/post/15469871

Thanks, figured i should have probably included some more detail.

My requirements, which most these sets meet:

1. Major/quality brand, unless someone can convince me that a vizio is a reliable product.

2. 1080p Display

4. 120HZ, unless someone can convince me it's not necessary I just hate spending a lot of money and not buying the newest tech.

5. 10-Bit display panel

8. Good contrast, I like my blacks to be black not gray.

The toshiba xv545u looks like the perfect tv for you.

major brand

1080p

less than 40" wide

120hz with 5:5 pulldown

10 bit panel

power usage

price less than 1200

excellent contrast - blacks are black

There are many more features to this tv that makes it an excellent value including srt. Look at the specs and compare. Toshibas have very good reliability ratings and every manufacturer has its share of unsatisfied customers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input so far.

Seems reduced down to the Tosh LCD or the Panasonic Plasma. So two things really.

I worry about the flashlighting which I keep reading is really bad on the toshiba set. But everyone has a different perspective of bad, I've used LCD monitors on my computers for years and have heard these complaints from others but honestly have never noticed it or had it bother me. However, I would say that if I was sitting in a dark room and could visibly see light leaking out of the sides of the TV it would drive me nuts. If it's just some light bleeding around the edges that is totally different and expected.

Problem with the panasonic plasma is the size, 41&7/8ths. I could technically fit this where it's going however I was going for smaller to avoid making this area look crowded and 43" is the absolute max width I have wall to wall where this is going so that doesn't leave much free space.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
With the choices you have listed, I think the Toshiba would give you the best bang for the buck. While some people like plasmas, they tend to run hotter, use more electricity, and have grayer whites than LCDs. Good luck in your selection.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I like Panny plasmas (though I like the best LCDs more), and on the LCD side, I think Samsung and Sony have the edge.

Toshiba's good, but not quite up there with the very best, IMO. Still, if the price is good...

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar /forum/post/15471493

Seems reduced down to the Tosh LCD or the Panasonic Plasma. So two things really.

I worry about the flashlighting which I keep reading is really bad on the toshiba set. But everyone has a different perspective of bad, I've used LCD monitors on my computers for years and have heard these complaints from others but honestly have never noticed it or had it bother me. However, I would say that if I was sitting in a dark room and could visibly see light leaking out of the sides of the TV it would drive me nuts. If it's just some light bleeding around the edges that is totally different and expected.

Problem with the panasonic plasma is the size, 41&7/8ths. I could technically fit this where it's going however I was going for smaller to avoid making this area look crowded and 43" is the absolute max width I have wall to wall where this is going so that doesn't leave much free space.

I find the glare of a plasma screen even more distracting than flashlighting on an lcd. My neighbor has a plasma and I cant see how he can watch it. I have seen flashlighting on an lcd with a dark screen and it wasnt that distracting. Before I bought my 545 I called toshiba and talked to a rep about flashlighting issues and they told me they could send out a technician. They said its usually because the screws are tightened too much. I didnt find that much out when I called samsung. They didnt seem as helpful with that issue. You hear a lot about flashlighting on the samsung forums also. I dont know if it would be as simple as loosening some screws because my panel doesnt have flashlighting so I havent tried it. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has done it. Some have even said flashlighting goes away after awhile. Theres a good chance if you get an lcd you wont see the flashlighting. If you get a plasma you will see reflections unless you are viewing in a dark room with no windows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Curious question. From what I've been reading, the Sony 42" displays are made by sharp. Wouldn't that give them the same potential for banding issues as with the sharp? And why doesn't sony have a 42" 120hz screen??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar /forum/post/15476285

And why doesn't sony have a 42" 120hz screen??

Because they already make a 40" 120Hz, so making another size that's almost exactly the same seems kinda pointless to them?

In any case, I'd recommend checking out some of the cheaper (though still quite expensive) Sony Bravia 40" LCDs... they're very good. Would also highly recommend the Samsung 6 Series 40" (the LN40A650). Really nice set.

But with Bravias and the 6 Series, you'll very likely have to buy them online (Amazon, NewEgg) to come in under your stated budget (and the Sony XBRs are out of your price range all together). Samsung and Sony are probably overall the best in LCDs right now, and they charge like it.

·
Banned
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar /forum/post/15471493

From your requirement list above, i personally think i would go for Panny if i am in your shoe. You wanted black is black and also many has reviewed that either Sammy or Panny - good for gaming in response time and video quality.

On top of that, Amazon.com is offering a good deal now $885.71 + $79.99 Shipping = $965.70
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-42PZ85U-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/tech-data/B00142JKRW/ref=de_a_smtd

Hey you have extra $200.00 for new games or blu-ray movies :p

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts