AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need help with what seating arrangement to have. My wife and I just moved into our first house (new construction) and it had a media room already built, but not how I would have designed it, but it is what I have to work with.... I'm also going to be painting the walls and ceiling black, getting darker carpetting, and possibly removing the sconces.

I am having trouble deciding on whether to go for 1 row of 5, or 2 rows with odder placement to fit 7 seats in. Here are the two options I've come up with so far:

or

And here is a picture of both views of the room:

What do you guys think? Any other ideas? I just don't want people to be too close or far from the screen. The screen will likely be either a 120 diagonal 16:9, or a 138 2.35, but need advice on that too.

Thanks for any help!!

-Jason

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would go with one row of 5 and build a seating bar behind your row of 5. A lot of people on here have done that and I think it would fit your space. Not sure from your picture how much space that would leave you, but think it is a better option then splitting seats on the backrow.

If you look around the forum you will find several versions of this. The before and after thread might be a good place to see some. Good luck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good idea too. I also had someone else suggest (if its possible) to move the double door to a single door that is further to the right as you look at the doors from within the room, then have 4 seats in front, 3 behind...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with your first option, but that's just me. I would, however, suggest you look into a 2.35 screen (mine is actually 2.37) as it makes all the epic movies (mostly shot in that format) look just that more amazing. If you're watching a lot of hdtv, though, you may want to go 1.78... my 0.02

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Can you really fit 5 seats across in what looks like 11' of space on your picture? That works out to 26 inches across for each seat and thats including armrests. Maybe that is right but it sounds too small to me and my fat American self.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts