AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I built a WHS2011 server out of an old gaming pc I had lying around. Here are the specs:

Motherboard - Asus M4A78BLT-M - AMD 760G/SB710 - Micro-ATX

Case - NZXT Source 210

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1035T 6-core Thuban

PSU - SeaSonic S12II 520w Bronze

RAM - 8GB [2 x 4GB] G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3-1600

HDD - 2x WD Black 640GB

4x WD Red 3TB

Everything was working perfectly for about 6 months. Then one day while I was ripping a movie to the server and streaming a movie that the streaming movie would stutter a lot. I found that the NIC on the server was now running at 100 Mbps instead of 1Gbps. It had been at 1 Gbps the entire 6 months. I've tried different Cat6 cables, different ports on the router, verified all, router and server settings are correct. My HTPC connected in another room runs at 1 Gbps so it's not the router.

Aside from dealing with the slow NIC on the server, the onboard video has never worked. It has HD3000 graphics and when i connect my monitor to either the DVI-D or HDMI ports I get no video. So i have to leave in the old HD5450 graphics card if i ever want to work locally on the server (It's currently setup to be headless).

This motherboard sucks for bios settings, lack of fan headers, etc. I'm not at all pleased with it. I prefer Gigabyte boards and Intel Cpus for all of my builds.

So I was thinking of just getting a new motherboard. But should I stick with the AMD 1035 cpu and just a gigabyte motherboard? Or should I just get a more modern Intel cpu and motherboard? I want to make sure I have enough horsepower for transcoding. I don't mind spending the extra money for new parts. Just getting really tired of dealing with this motherboards issues.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Two ways to look at this...

1. The easiest and most cost effective way to battle the problem is to go out and get a Gigabyte AM3+ mobo. (FWIW, I love Gigabyte mobos as well)

The downside is that the Phenom II cpu was never really very good at transcoding. My first foray into HTPC, was repurposing my Phenom II 720 BE desktop. Even with a 4850 GPU, there were always little glitches and such that just didn't make the experience seem all that great.

Even after putting an AM3+ board, you still have an upgrade path, with the newer Vishera AM3+ CPUs.

2. Upgrade to Intel. Being a headless Server, you can get by with a Socket 1155 (mobo and CPU).

If by chance you have a MicroCenter nearby, they still have a great price on on an i5-3750k for $180, and pick out an acceptable H61, B75, H77 or Z77 mobo that suits your needs, Or you can go down the socket 1150 path, and get either a i5-4670k CPU for $190 and take advantage of the Combo deals for a discounted mobo, or even get an i5-4570 for $160.

Personally, I'd recommend going the Intel route if possible. That way, you can not only fix your issue, but also not have to worry about upgading for quite a few more years. You can repurpose all your other hardware into the Intel build as well. I just don't think expanding on the AM3/AM3+ platform makes any sense anymore.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
If you are going to consider running your server as a virtual machine then you might want to consider sticking with the AMD AM3+ line. It has been a year since I researched it, but I'm pretty sure you can't run an Intel K processor with ESXi.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server/0_100#post_24472316

If you are going to consider running your server as a virtual machine then you might want to consider sticking with the AMD AM3+ line. It has been a year since I researched it, but I'm pretty sure you can't run an Intel K processor with ESXi.

But I think you can on the 4570 non K he recommended for $159 at Microcenter. Giving up the small clock speed to the 4670K or the ability to overclock is not a big deal in a server, and for $160 that's a lot of CPU from Intel and well suited for a server.

I might be wrong though, but I thought the non K series did to virtual machines. Otherwise you can step up to the server family of products from Intel if you need more beef.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24472349

But I think you can on the 4570 non K he recommended for $159 at Microcenter. Giving up the small clock speed to the 4670K or the ability to overclock is not a big deal in a server, and for $160 that's a lot of CPU from Intel and well suited for a server.

I might be wrong though, but I thought the non K series did to virtual machines. Otherwise you can step up to the server family of products from Intel if you need more beef.

Well he didn't ask to run a VM, but I just threw that out there. I redid my server last year and ran into this issue with me ESXi whitebox. To get a proper ESXi server I was going to have to get the Xeon line because the Supermicro motherboard I wanted to use didn't support the basic i3, i5, or i7 (the ones with an iGPU). It was really confusing and the price kept creeping up with my Intel solution. When I started looking into the AMD whitebox the price dropped way down and I was able to keep all the VM features from the Xeon that I needed.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24472584

Bryan, have you been able to pass through an iGPU?

I don't have an iGPU. I put in an old Nvidia 430, but that is only used for the rare ESXi manual upgrade or BIOS control.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server/0_100#post_24472245

1. The easiest and most cost effective way to battle the problem is to go out and get a Gigabyte AM3+ mobo. (FWIW, I love Gigabyte mobos as well)

The downside is that the Phenom II cpu was never really very good at transcoding. My first foray into HTPC, was repurposing my Phenom II 720 BE desktop. Even with a 4850 GPU, there were always little glitches and such that just didn't make the experience seem all that great.

Even after putting an AM3+ board, you still have an upgrade path, with the newer Vishera AM3+ CPUs.

2. Upgrade to Intel. Being a headless Server, you can get by with a Socket 1155 (mobo and CPU).

If by chance you have a MicroCenter nearby, they still have a great price on on an i5-3750k for $180, and pick out an acceptable H61, B75, H77 or Z77 mobo that suits your needs, Or you can go down the socket 1150 path, and get either a i5-4670k CPU for $190 and take advantage of the Combo deals for a discounted mobo, or even get an i5-4570 for $160.

Personally, I'd recommend going the Intel route if possible. That way, you can not only fix your issue, but also not have to worry about upgading for quite a few more years. You can repurpose all your other hardware into the Intel build as well. I just don't think expanding on the AM3/AM3+ platform makes any sense anymore.

Interesting, I use a Phenom II x2 Black with a MSI motherboard for my server. Microcenter deal I got when I was doing my build. I had issues at first, but it was because of the bios. Transcoding has never been an issue, even when doing more than 1 or 2. With the 2 hidden cores opened up it's always worked well, recently I re-installed to the OS to an SSD and it really made things a lot snappier with WHS2011.

Not questioning your statement, in fact I often appreciate your input to these topics, you've been helpful to me more than once. At the time Microcenter wasn't really doing Intel CPU and motherboard bundles.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server/0_100#post_24472316

How come so many do the bare metal virtual stuff rather than the software environment stuff? Isn't it easier to do it inside the software than a bare metal option first ? I don't actually know I am VMware and ESXi noobish...

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24473087

How come so many do the bare metal virtual stuff rather than the software environment stuff? Isn't it easier to do it inside the software than a bare metal option first ? I don't actually know I am VMware and ESXi noobish...

If you have to reboot the host OS then all your VMs are going down too. This lets you play with each one without worrying about the host. The ESXi "host" is stable and rarely needs restarted other than during upgrades. Plus something like pfSense wouldn't work well as a router running inside a host that relies on it for routing.

Reactions: Andy_Steb

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24472856

Interesting, I use a Phenom II x2 Black with a MSI motherboard for my server. Microcenter deal I got when I was doing my build. I had issues at first, but it was because of the bios. Transcoding has never been an issue, even when doing more than 1 or 2. With the 2 hidden cores opened up it's always worked well, recently I re-installed to the OS to an SSD and it really made things a lot snappier with WHS2011.

Not questioning your statement, in fact I often appreciate your input to these topics, you've been helpful to me more than once. At the time Microcenter wasn't really doing Intel CPU and motherboard bundles.

Thanks!

By no means am I trying to say it's wrong to swap for a newer AM3+ mobo. If everything works for you, and budget is a concern, then do it. I just have a hard time spending money on what I would consider "Old" tech. AM3 Phenom II CPUs are from 2008-2009. New CPU instructions are added every year. The newer Intels are so much more efficient too.

This is just my own opinion, and should be taken as such.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24472584

Bryan, have you been able to pass through an iGPU?

Maybe I don't understand the methodology of virtualizing a win7/WMC machine with respect to iGPU passthru.

I'm using ESXi 5.1 and an i5-3550 with iGPU (on an H77 MB) to run a number of virtual machines:

WHS2011 with IBM 1015 card passthru

Win7-WMC for all Live TV and recording (Comcast cable with HDHomerun Prime) with ServerWMC addon running

Win2008R2 server

Pfsense firewall

I'm using a NUC and some older AMD machines as clients with OpenELEC to access the single WMC Guide and TV recording folder and all the other content on the WHS2011 server.

I never specified the iGPU as a passthru on the win7 virtual machine.

Did I miss something ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not running a virtual server. Not sure if my needs will ever require that. I'm just running media browser 3 on the server and streaming movies, tv shows and music to my HTPC and future Roku 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24472245

Personally, I'd recommend going the Intel route if possible. That way, you can not only fix your issue, but also not have to worry about upgrading for quite a few more years. You can repurpose all your other hardware into the Intel build as well. I just don't think expanding on the AM3/AM3+ platform makes any sense anymore.

Thanks for the tips! My current HTPC is running a Gigabyte Z77-UD3H motherboard and i5-3570K. I was thinking if I ended up getting a Haswell i5 and Z87 motherboard maybe I could use the new motherboard/CPU in the HTPC instead (and take advantage of the HD4600 graphics) and the sever would get my old Z77 & 3570K.

But the new Z87 boards can have up to 8 SATA3 ports & Intel gigabit Lan (Z87X-UD4H for ex) would be really nice to have in the server. But the HD4600 iGpu would be useless in a headless server.

Do you think I should move the Z77/3570K to the server and use the Haswell on the HTPC? I guess I could always get a 1x PCIe SATA card for the future right?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm using a i5-3570k in my headless server just because it was the cheapest i5 I could find (MicroCenter). No problem with that.

Reactions: scott750

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server/0_100#post_24474251

I never specified the iGPU as a passthru on the win7 virtual machine.

Did I miss something ?

I guess it's only if you are planning to use WMC for copy-protected TV that you need a dedicated-non-virtualized HTPC

If OTA and copy-free TV work fine in WMC without a passed through gpu => ESXi is largely unnecessary for WHS/W7 servers. It only becomes necessary when you want to add a router-VM, or if you just want Type 1

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24474341

Are you using your ESXi server's video ports to drive a display device, or does every display device have its own client machine?

Eric,

My ESXi server is headless (no display and in the basement closet), but every display device throughout the house (3) is attached to an OpenELEC htpc appliance.

Dark_Slayer is correct, my Comcast does not include copy-once channels like HBO, but all channels are encrypted.

This way I get all my files served, Live TV/Guide, Recorded shows, and firewall/router on only one hardware platform that runs 24x7 (with an APC UPS) and only eat up electricity for the other client PCs when I turn them on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24475638

I'm using a i5-3570k in my headless server just because it was the cheapest i5 I could find (MicroCenter). No problem with that.

Cool. I'm going to move my Z77-UD3H and i5-3570K to the server and I got a Z87X-UD3H and i5-4670K for the HTPC. Should give me a little better graphics for the HTPC with 4K support.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server/0_100#post_24478481

This way I get all my files served, Live TV/Guide, Recorded shows, and firewall/router on only one hardware platform that runs 24x7 (with an APC UPS) and only eat up electricity for the other client PCs when I turn them on.
Thanks for sharing BruceD

Quick other question . . . you are passing through a NIC for pfsense, correct?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1522079/need-help-deciding-on-updating-server#post_24480691

Thanks for sharing BruceD

Quick other question . . . you are passing through a NIC for pfsense, correct?

You do need another nic for Pfsense, but it doesn't need to be passed through.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.