AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide whether or not I should spend $270 on 6 Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II speakers for a 6.1 setup and use my old bose subwoofer, or if I should just buy a 5.1 setup from polk for $230.

Everything I've read online suggested that buying 6 exact same speakers for surround sound is a better deal than the 5.1 setup in terms of price/sound quality.

The price for the speaker pairs will jump back up to $200 after today, so I need opinions asap. Thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the "exact same speakers" statement does apply to true multi-channel music, like SACD or DVD-A, but does not really matter all that much for movie soundtracks. The audio information coded into the surround channels is mainly ambient and special effects sounds and these rarely need to be timbre matched with the "front 3".

The Polk Monitor 30's would run circles around the small 5.1 speaker bundle....5.25" speakers vs. 3.5" speakers - it does make a difference.

You can get the 5.0/6.0 setup of Monitor 30's and try the Bo$e subwoofer - but you should immediately begin budgeting for a replacement powered subwoofer. Watch for sales on the BIC line of subs, Polk PSW505 sub, or Hsu Research subs. A good sub will make a tremendous difference to your listening experience with your Monitor 30's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Use the Bose "Sub" only if you have to. I could be wrong, but I don't think it even goes lower than 80 hz. Of course, no one knows the answer to this because Bose never publishes specs of their products.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.