AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone !

I was at a party last saturday and there was that huge home made subwoofer that totally blew me away :) My whole body was shaking (I recorded it : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzOrTyY65ohMOFdXbllWUDI5WmM/edit?usp=sharing)

I asked the guy who made the name of the woofer, he tells me that he used this driver : http://www.thomann.de/fr/the_box_speaker_153008a.htm

I really really want to make myself a homemade subwoofer but can't figure out how to design a good enclosure :-(

If someone can help me ? Here is all the informations about the driver to calcul the box : http://images.thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/manual/193264_bda_153008a_uk_screen.pdf

I would prefer a compact one, the enclosure in the video is very big and seems complex :s

Thanks !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it doesn't have anything special but it's pretty cheap and very powerful from what i saw ^^

I will take a look thanks !

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
The specs give an Fs for that driver of 52.6Hz making it pretty much useless for a sub. Even in a TH it would have a fairly high tune. The video shows something that looks like a PA style rear loaded horn, again useless for HT.

Edit: letting us know where in the world you are will help. Most will assume you're in the US, but my guess is somewhere in the EU. Not all drivers are available everywhere and/or shipping may be too expensive so knowing location, and budget, will help you to get better advice.

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
I really really want to make myself a homemade subwoofer but can't figure out how to design a good enclosure :-(
It depends a great deal on your budget and skill level.
You can put together one of many kits:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-system-kits/287
or tackle a little more do-it-yourself:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1592098-diysoundgroup-s-stonehenge-build.html
or start with sheets of plywood/mdf (Marty, etc.).
Lots of info here. Keep reading!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A9X-308 >> Yeah it's a PA subwoofer that a friend of a friend of mine did for his school project :) That's what i want, a really strong bass that shake your body ! The sub was pretty deep ! But the box was too big, i want a smaller one ^^ I live in france for answering your question.

My problem is that I don't know how to calculate a good enclosure !

YEah LastButNotLeast i'm thinking about building my own box but i need a plan :D

Edit : My budget is around 200 eur(+- 250-300 USD) ! And i really want a 15 inch driver. I already own two cerwin Vega XLS-12 and two cerwin vega VE-12f.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
A9X-308 >> Yeah it's a PA subwoofer that a friend of a friend of mine did for his school project :) That's what i want, a really strong bass that shake your body ! The sub was pretty deep !
A small scoop like that will only do 40Hz or so. Is that enough for you? It is for most PA systems as most don't go that low, but for HT, it's at least one, maybe two or more octaves too high.

But the box was too big, i want a smaller one
Didn't look all that big for me. LFE HT subs tend to be large.

^^ I live in france for answering your question.
Depending upon your answers, this could be helpful or not. You have a lot of excellent PA drivers manufactured in the EU, but less access to more dedicated HT sub drivers.

My problem is that I don't know how to calculate a good enclosure !
That's the easy part, once some relevant design decisions have been addressed.

Edit : My budget is around 200 eur(+- 250-300 USD) ! And i really want a 15 inch driver. I already own two cerwin Vega XLS-12 and two cerwin vega VE-12f.
The XLS are quite capable for music, going deep enough and loud enough for most people and most music.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
How deep do you want extension?
How loud do you want it to go?
What are you going to power it with?
What are you going to use to cross over to the XLS?
How big (give dimensions) is the room you planning to use it in?
Is it only for music, movies or both?
What are your size constraints? Give dimensions.

As best you can, try to answer in a technical way. Saying "I want it awesome" doesn't help as I have no idea what that means to you.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
the spectral content of what is recorded on the clip shows significant bass energy at about 47hz and around 65hz.

that isn't particularly low/deep. what makes it exciting is how loud and uncompressed it was. larger enclosures have more sensitivity all other things equal. the driver linked to doesn't appear to be anything special, just a low cost driver with about 6mm xmax and a relatively weak motor.

there are lots of "horn plans" floating around the internet. that particular cab is frequently referred to as a "rear loaded horn" if you want to do some searching around.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A small scoop like that will only do 40Hz or so. Is that enough for you? It is for most PA systems as most don't go that low, but for HT, it's at least one, maybe two or more octaves too high.

Didn't look all that big for me. LFE HT subs tend to be large.

Depending upon your answers, this could be helpful or not. You have a lot of excellent PA drivers manufactured in the EU, but less access to more dedicated HT sub drivers.

That's the easy part, once some relevant design decisions have been addressed.

The XLS are quite capable for music, going deep enough and loud enough for most people and most music.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
How deep do you want extension?
How loud do you want it to go?
What are you going to power it with?
What are you going to use to cross over to the XLS?
How big (give dimensions) is the room you planning to use it in?
Is it only for music, movies or both?
What are your size constraints? Give dimensions.

As best you can, try to answer in a technical way. Saying "I want it awesome" doesn't help as I have no idea what that means to you.

The sub was big for me ! Like 2-3 times the width of my XLS-12 and almost the same height !

I don't care that much about the depth of the bass ! 35-40 HZ is enough for me :) What i'm trying to achieve ? I want that strong bass ! The sub i've heard in the party is the kind of bass i love, All my hair, my body were shaking, even my 4 Cerwin Vega together don't get me the "Chest pumping bass" i want.

So i guess i need a very loud one ^^ don't knox exactly but if it can go up to 110+dB it will be all good !

I'm going to power it with a t.amp E800, which is a very good poweramp for this price :)

My room is 15m² ! It's pretty small but the subwoofer will be also used for party in open space or pretty big room :)

The subwoofer will be only for music ! (Minimal, trance, loud electronic music !)

For the size i don't really know ... I would like a box-shaped subwoofer(like this one http://femus.dev.isib.be/files/2012/04/428982_10150670617853686_668123685_9145482_669553877_n.jpg it's the 18" version of the driver i want to used),

but with bass-reflex :)

I have other video of the subwoofer if it can help you !

LTD02 >> Yes the loudness was quiet exciting :D I would be very happy to have a sub that loud at home for such a small price ^^ I'm going to look the rear loaded horn !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts