AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. 5-6 years ago I built a Full Marty for my SI DS4 18". Recently we moved and I left the enclosure but pulled the driver and brought it (obviously). I need to build a (significantly) smaller enclosure for the current house.

I am looking at the Marty Cube as a starting point. I would like the sub to be downfiring and if at all possible to have the cable connection on the bottom (possibly in the port to minimize floor space?). I could possibly go a bit taller, perhaps something between the Mini and Cube, especially if it helped dig a bit deeper.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to start with figuring out how a specific box is tuned, how to tweak it, etc. I know that I will need to pick up WinISD and will learn for a primer on how to use it.

I will definitely be doing my research here but there is a mountain of information and it is easy to get lost in. Any help/links are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
from the other requests for a slight mod that I've seen . . .
down firing , no problem . .
legs should be in the 2.5 -3.0"range is a common recommendation

it's a start

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from the other requests for a slight mod that I've seen . . .
down firing , no problem . .
legs should be in the 2.5 -3.0"range is a common recommendation

it's a start
Thank you, all help is appreciated. I figured I would make the baffle triple thick to allow for the sub to recess a bit more. It stuck out a fair bit with just a double on the full marty. So 3/4" extra clearance from that + 2.5" feet ought to give enough clearance!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I gave it a few searches but
there is a thread with an interactive spreadsheet , courtesy of a fellow AVS'er
that lets you mod Marty enclosures to fit alternative sizing requirements . .

pretty sure it was for Marty's . .

you could ask Red Five. he may remember

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
daang it . .
if that link is not so good,
it's on page 166 in the marty FAQ thread

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How important is the geometry of the box? For instance, provided I have the correct volume and port length, I could theoretically make it longer and slimmer to perhaps fit under something? It couldn't be TOO slim due to the size of the driver, but say I tried to minimize one dimension by adding a couple inches to the depth of the driver, for instance, and maximize another dimension to keep the volume where it needs to be? As I think about it and the size of the driver, not sure how much that would actually gain for this purpose, but would be good to know in either case! Thanks again for the links.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
that's also been a FAQ wrt to "I need a mod" . . .
post some numbers and the proposed changes
I've seen @mtg90 and others respond that it can usually work

if you look at the post about ported subs just recently started you'll see that keeping that port as optimal as you can is very key to getting the most from the box sizing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts