AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all my apologies if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post and this is the closest forum I could find.

To say I’m completely lost with all this video stuff is a huge understatement. Right now I have a 15 yr old Kenwood entertainment system that's not even connected to my old CRT TV.

I'm planning on starting from scratch and can use any info/advice you care to give. I have DIRECT and my plan is to buy a Panasonic g25 series TV and get a Panasonic blue ray player (bd85k or 65k) that has wifi. Our old DVD player was also an am/fm receiver and I would like that functionality as well so I'll probably find a receiver somewhere. I also want to get the Bose CineMate Series I speakers for sound. My 1st question is does this sound reasonable? I decided on the Panasonic blue ray for compatibility with VIERA Cast and I can get an employee price on it. I like the Bose system because there are only 2 speakers and I want to reduce clutter and not have speakers scattered all over.

My next question would be set up. The TV has 3 hdmi ports (one on the side) Is that enough? Is each individual component connected to the TV or will they go through t he Blu Ray player? I assume the DirecTV receiver will somehow be connected to the Blu Ray and both of those go to the TV using 1 HDMI? I have no idea what kind of connection the Bose will need or how the FM receiver plays into all this. As you can see I need some guidance. Any help will be appreciated.

ETA: I forgot about the Wii. I'm guessing it would use compnent cables?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The Bose will be the weak link. It has no modern HDMI connections, only an optical and an analog audio. Not really desirable, IMO. I won't even get into how Bose is generally viewed here, except to say your money is better spent elsewhere. I'm not sure they do radio, either.

Bose Cinemates go for, what, $800? You can get a decent 2.1 system with a receiver (that will do AM/FM and have all the connections you need) and will allow for one HDMI connection to the TV. Then you can hook up two speakers (and a sub if desired.) You get more flexibility in choosing speakers as well, and some are very stylish.

The Blu-ray player itself will be standalone. The only thing that might hook into it is the Internet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The system I was looking at was $450 but by the time you add the blu ray and fm reciever, I'm probably looking at about $700 or $800. I'm flexible, I just don't even know where to begin. Are there 2.1 theater in box systems or does 2.1 refer only to the speaker system?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
For 2.1 it's better to buy a 7.1 or 5.1 receiver and just add a pair of speakers (the receiver can be adjusted to fewer speakers, sub or no sub, etc.) There may be a few non-Bose packages, but speakers and receivers have much more variety.

Receiver brands recommended are Onkyo (the old standby), Denon, Harman-Kardon, Yamaha, and Pioneer. Sony has a couple of "okay" models. Each has their fans, but to me they're way more alike than different.

We could spend all day discussing speakers. What exactly are you looking for in them in terms of size and style?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a word small. That's one of the things that attracted me to the Bose system. Seemed to have a lot punch in a little package. I'll probably set them on the TV stand next to the TV.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 /forum/post/19582823

In a word small. That's one of the things that attracted me to the Bose system. Seemed to have a lot punch in a little package. I'll probably set them on the TV stand next to the TV.

Orb Audio has some small but great sounding speakers.

http://www.orbaudio.com/

You can also find small form factor speakers from most major brands, like Polk, Klipsch, Infinity, etc.

Quote:
After doing some reading maybe a Virtual-surround sound bar system is what I need to go with the Blu ray. The Sony HT-CT100 gets good reviews.

I'm not a huge fan of soundbars, but that's more me disliking their design philosophy. They can get the job done if space is a concern, and would do better than the Bose unit.

You may still have to add an AM/FM tuner if it's not included. Also, make sure it has enough inputs for your devices.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The number of inputs is one of the things I worry about since I'm not sure what will connect to what. The sony has 3 hdmi and 2 analogue. If I were to get a dedicated htib and just used 2 fornt speakes and a subwoofer would it sound as good as a sound bar or simulate the surround sound.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Well, soundbars need parallel walls to achieve their simulated surround effects, otherwise they tend to just sound like front speakers. If your room is symmetrical on the sides, a soundbar might work well. It gets less effective the more oddly shaped the room is.

Some receivers might have simulated surround settings for use with ordinary speakers. Speakers by themselves can't simulate surround sound without actually being strung about the room.

About 90% of a movie's sound track comes through the speakers up front. Surrounds are mainly for ambiance and the odd sound effect, like a door opening here, a car going by there, rain, winds, bullets flying by, things like that. That's about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts