AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the day I choose between the DA5ES and the AVR320. Both seem to be great pieces. My listening is 75%HT and 25% music, and even though I don't listen to music alot, I still enjoy a nice experience. I will be using an Acurus A125X5 amp that will be powering Paradigm Monitor 7s, matching Paradigm center, and Polk LS/fx surrounds. I'm sorta leaning towards the Sony w/ it's incredible HT sound likely due to it's 3- 32bit processing chips. I had a Sony 777ES receiver and I thought it was simply awesome. Can the HK keep up w/ the Sony DA5ES? I'd appreciate some opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hmmm...

Do you mean the HK 520 instead of the 320? The 320 is not comparable with the Sony 5ES.

Anyway, I am not the biggest HK lover. The one and only I had a few years back had problems from the start. And HK receivers have had poor quality problems over the last few years. This may have been addressed now though as I have NOT had specific experience with the new x20 series.

But even if the potential quality is solved, the 520 is still only 5.1 out of the box. You would have to spend more to get 6.1 (to add an amp.) For me, just too much money for only 5 amps.

I have had direct experience with the 5ES. My friend just bought one from oade.com and got it for around $800. Just an awesome receiver. It has on-screen setup and it very, very, very flexible (as was your 777, right?) More power than the HK. 6.1 available due to 6 amps. You also get Sony's DSP theater modes. IMO, some of better ones out there. Then there's the adjustable speaker crossover settings...

The individual speaker crossover setup alone guarantees better system sound than most receivers on the market. Your system WILL blend together better than the one to three choices (and still must be universal for all speakers) most of the other makers give you.

If you had and loved the 777, I would be surprised if you could move to an HK...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would say if you are just using it for pre amp duties, the Sony would win out for me. Just because of the ease of use factor.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the HK 520. Nice unit.

I will agree that is not the most user friendly. The remote sucks, depends on if you have Pronto (I do) or other. I was able to get a DVD playing right out of the box without using the remote, so it can't be the worst user interface going.

Face plate is a little busy, to many lights/colors that can't be turned off. I'm going to try to put something in front to help. window tint or something.

The HK also has some adjustablility in x-over points, but I do not believe it is as adjustable as the Sony.

Since you already have the 5 channel amp, you will have your 6 or 7.1 right away. You would just need to jumper from the 6th pre-out to one (or two) of the unused amp channels on the HK.

I wish I could give you more of a review of the unit, but I just haven't had too much time with it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Spacecowboy,

Hey dude, I have the Harman Kardon AVR520. It with my Klipsch RF7's..... Phew, need I say more. It screams dude, it screams. Ya, I admit, I don't like the fact that it only has 5.1, but, that's fine. I don't have a place to put my rear right now anyway. In the same price range as the HK 520(depending on where you see it), you may want to check out the Denon 3802 think it is. It has 7 dedicated channels I believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.