AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone know where I can find a HDMI to DVI adapter? Best Buy and Circuit City does not have one, and I need it to connect my flat-panel TV and a future DVD player with HDMI output.

·
Read the FAQ!
37,290 Posts
Monster cable makes an HDMI to DVI cable that is usually available at places like Best Buy.

The forum sponsors here who deal in cables have such cables as well as adapter plugs. Check the Power Buys forum for additional cable vendors. Digital Connection, Pacific Cable, Better Cables, etc., etc.

Just make sure you get the right combination of male/female ends.

--Bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've heard that the HDMI-->DVI adaptors are actually pretty big/bulky and could potentially damage the hdmi/dvi slot their attached too.

That being said, I picked up a pretty nice HDMI--DVI cable from RAM for ~$40 delivered. I figured it's only about $10 more than the Monster converter and it's nice to just have the one cable.

·
Read the FAQ!
37,290 Posts
Yes, the HDMI plug is a pretty small plug with no screws to lock it in place. It's just a friction fit.

If you put a DVI adapter plug into an HDMI socket and then attach a DVI cable to it, the weight of the adapter and cable puts a lever style mechanical strain on the HDMI socket. This may or may not damage the socket, but vibration over time will usually result in the HDMI part eventually coming out of the socket enough that you lose signal.

I use such an adapter plug, and I've eliminated any such problem by putting a small support under it -- in my case some folded paper towel.

A better solution is to use an HDMI to DVI cable to minimize the mechanical strain on the HDMI socket at that end. Then you just have to be careful the cable itself is not pulling on the plug.

--bob

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, OneCall said that the HDMI to DVI adapter it sells is not recommended for my flat-panel LCD because it is "inflexible." I had to pass, because it quickly reminds me of the troubles I had connecting the Monster Video 3 component cables to my DVD player. I do not want to damage my Panasonic DVD-RP82.

OneCall's HDMI to DVI adapter

It seems that RAM does not have a HDMI/DVI adapter cable for less than 6 feet, as I have no need for the extra feet. I would like to buy from RAM, but I am reluctant to use my credit card.

·
Premium Member
26,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by megamii
Unfortunately, OneCall said that the HDMI to DVI adapter it sells is not recommended for my flat-panel LCD because it is "inflexible." I had to pass, because it quickly reminds me of the troubles I had connecting the Monster Video 3 component cables to my DVD player. I do not want to damage my Panasonic DVD-RP82.

OneCall's HDMI to DVI adapter

It seems that RAM does not have a HDMI/DVI adapter cable for less than 6 feet, as I have no need for the extra feet. I would like to buy from RAM, but I am reluctant to use my credit card.
Why would you be reluctant to use CC with Ram....they are a respected company and an AVS adver.

Ron

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by megamii
Can anyone know where I can find a HDMI to DVI adapter? Best Buy and Circuit City does not have one, and I need it to connect my flat-panel TV and a future DVD player with HDMI output.
Best Buy does sell HDMI to DVI cables. Ram electonics is reliable and sells what appears to be very nice stuff. Pacific Cable sells less expensive stuff -- not as "high-end" either. However, their adapter might be the smaller, less weighty type you're looking for. Look here , then down to the last item.

FYI:

I was going to buy an adapter to use with an extra long DVI cable that I've already found and tested. But I finally sucked it up and ordered RAM's high-end 30ft HDMI cable. I decided to eliminate the possibility of the connector causing pin connection problems over time (though that's probably not a big risk).

You can find adapters or conversion cables many places if you look. But if you're afraid to use your credit card on the internet, go back to one of your local retailers and get a HDMI to DVI cable. (I strongly doubt you'll find an adapter in retail stores).

By the way, credit card companys have procedures for challenging improper transactions. If you don't get something that you paid for with a credit card, you can ask for your money back and your CC company should do it. On the other hand, if you get a lemon, you may be stuck. Since an adapter is a pretty cut and dried item, you shouldn't run into any problem.

I used to worry about buying over the net, but not any more. Don't worry about using your credit card. Just make sure you know who/what you're buying from. In this case, you have no worry.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
$30 for a 6 foot HDMI to DVI cable at RAM? That's beautiful. Can't do much better than that, imho. That's what I'll be getting if I get a player that only has an HDMI out.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I have found the Monster DVI/HDMI adapters at Ultimate Electronics. $29.95

Dean

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree that DVI-HDMI cable is the best way to go. The DVI-HDMI adapter may damage the connection over time, I will not buy it at all. Who come up this idea that HDMI connection with no screw !! Screw or a lock is always better. They are trying to save a few pennies in the cost !!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dwette
I have found the Monster DVI/HDMI adapters at Ultimate Electronics. $29.95

Dean
Thanks for the "heads up". Do they convert from DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI? Or do they sell both converters?

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Since I am somewhat confused on the difference between "male" and "female" cable connectors, especially on DVI-I and HDMI connector, can anyone tell me the differences?

·
Registered
115 Posts
As long as you are getting an adapter and not an extender, you shouldn't have to worry about what gender the connectors are.

Any connector with pins is considered male, connectors with holes are considered female.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
Thanks for the "heads up". Do they convert from DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI? Or do they sell both converters?
They convert a DVI cable to HDMI. I never seen adpaters for the reverse, but didn't look either.

·
Premium Member
26,834 Posts
Quote:
They convert a DVI cable to HDMI. I never seen adpaters for the reverse, but didn't look either.
I have a reverse one. HDMI male end with a DVI female end adapter. The member that mentioned the use of an adpater may damage the output over time....that may be true you are using the HDMI toDVI adapter, since the HDMI output uses a tight fit pressure for it's connection, plus the weight of the adapter may loosen the tight fit over time.

But, a DVI to HDMI adapter shouldn't be a problem, since the adapter uses the screw-in pins just like a cable, which keeps it firmly inplace. Plus, the weight shouldn't be an issue again due to the way the DVI portion is attached and the HDMI weight at the end of the adapter is light and shouldn't create a downward pressure

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is to let everyone know that last night, I made the decision to purchase a HDMI to DVI cable (not adapter) from Blue Jeans Cable. I should receive it sometime this week.

I pray that the HDMI to DVI cable and the Panasonic DVD-S97 does not disappoint me. Too bad that I could not afford to buy a flat-panel TV that has a HDMI input, but had to settle for one with a DVI input.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeeper78
As long as you are getting an adapter and not an extender, you shouldn't have to worry about what gender the connectors are.

Any connector with pins is considered male, connectors with holes are considered female.
You mean a man (male) has pin and a woman (female) has hole :D It is easy to remember. :D :D :D LOL

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
I posted a link in a previous post (above) which provides a picture of a DVI to HDMI adapter. Here is a link to a HDMI to DVI adapter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.