AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new set of PSB GT-1 and a GC-1 center channel. I only intend on running 3.1 for now and will add an additional amps down the road if needed.

I have an older Outlaw Audio 970 Pre-Amp that I want to use and need an amplifier to pair up with it. I am aware of the limitations with this unit. However, it fits my fine and offers more customization then my current AVR.

Links to speakers with full specs:
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...sign-GT1-Tower
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...ign-GC1-Center

The towers (GT-1) have a recommended wattage of [email protected] and a program wattage of 150w.

The center (GC-1) has a recommended wattage of [email protected] and a program wattage of 120w.

I'm currently looking at a couple of different options from Emotiva. I am just uncertain of a couple of things.

I'm mainly looking at the XPA-3 however I'm thinking it's to much for the speakers based on the numbers. It pushes 200w per channel at 8ohms so 6ohms will be more then that. The wattage may not be to much for the towers however I think it would exceed the center channel. Will this thing toast my system?

Secondly would be the UPA-5. This pushes 125w per [email protected] If I purchased this it would be ran bi-wired to the GT-1s. I've read all about bi-wiring and know it doesn't do much, if anything. However, why not if I have the 2 extra channels? I assume that this is not as high of quality as the XPA series? Would I notice much of a difference on the system I have?

Third would consist of a UPA-2 and a used Marzants MA-500 for the center. This would be close in cost to purchasing a new UPA-5.

Last resort is three used Marzants MA-500 monoblocks. These have been running under $100 each and would be a cheap, easy way out.

I am also looking for suggestions on other amps as well. I am new at this and just hoped on emotiva due to the good reviews and holiday prices. I am looking to spend $500 or less for the main amp. I would not be opposed to spending up to $500 on a 2 channel amp and purchsing a monoblock for the center.

·
Registered
318 Posts
does the 970 have per channel EQ? If it doesn't I'm afraid the Emo UPA-2 won't match well with the MA-500. I have an UPA-2 running with an Onkyo 706, and recently found out that my speakers sound very different if I remove the Emo and plug straight into the receiver. Without the amp, the high end is very lacking. Ccotenj in the another thread told me I need to rerun Audyssey calibration, but that still means there's something different between the amp and the receiver's amp section. And that might also be true with the MA-500, so I wouldn't go that route if your Outlaw doesn't have per channel EQ similar to Audyssey.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Your center wont be damaged by having 200 watts available to it. My center and rear surrounds are rated at 125 watts and I have 200 watts RMS available to them. Speakers are usually damaged while being played loudly with not enough available wattage. Clipping causes the damage to the speaker. If you have enough wattage or some extra head room available the chances of clipping go down while being played at high volumes. Do you need an amp that can supply 200 watts per channel? Maybe, maybe not.The choice is up to you. So no, it won't blow your speakers up.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Check out the Odssey Audios 3 channel HT Stratos 150wpc and stable down to 2ohms. Their amps come w/a 20 yr. warranty on parts. When you call them up they'll custom bias the amp to your system for free. Magico Audio uses Odssey amps to check their 89k speakers. Cost $1500 for the 3 channel, $895 for the 2 channel Khartago. One of the best buys in audio. Klaus Bunge the owner goes all out in customer service. He's not satisfied until you are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts