AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone,

I need some opinions on what offers the best picture quality for gaming. Here is how my search has gone.

I wanted to upgrade my 32" 720p TV, so I purchased an LG 42LN5200, which is a 1080p, 60hz model. At first I figured all HDTVs were the same and hz didn't matter. But then I watched sports and played video games and noticed motion blur which I never had problems with in the past, not on my 32" and not on the living room TV (which is a Samsung T4065F).

So after doing research, I read that hz does matter and 120hz will offer a smoother picture. So I returned my 60hz model and exchanged it for an LG 42LN5400, I still noticed blur on that TV and the colors weren't really accurate so I wanted to try another TV. After doing more extensive research, and reading that hz was just a marketing gimmick, along with reviews on Amazon, Sony, Best Buy, Wal Mart, and Rtings websites, I decided to purchase a 1080p, 60hz Sony BRAVIA KDL-40R450, most reviews I have read were positive and the common positive was it's very good motion handling. Which I agree with because there is a pretty clear image when watching sports and movies. However with gaming there is still blur/judder, and ghosting.

Another TV I was looking at while I was researching the Sony TV was the Samsung FH6030, which is 1080p, 120hz. But I ultimately chose the Sony.

Recently I've been thinking about keeping my Sony R450 for TV and movies and purchasing a gaming monitor. I was looking at the ASUS VG248QE as it is 144hz and has a response time of 1ms (GTG). I wouldn't be using that with a high powered PC graphics card, just an Xbox 360 and a PS3. But I've heard that the colors aren't that great. It's $280 on Newegg.

Is there a recommended set for gaming? I can't really spend more than $500, I've heard Plasmas are good but I can't find one that's 1080p with the right size and image retention/burn in is a concern for me when thinking about buying a Plasma TV. Like I mentioned, the family TV, which is the Samsung T4065F has great picture and motion handling, however I would not like to buy it for my bedroom because the cheapest I can find it is $630 on Amazon and this model had some problems that could be fixed under warranty for free but could cost over $1,000 without one, and these sets have been discontinued.

Should I look for a new TV or should I purchase the gaming monitor? Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
In my experience, the fastest monitors that have very little motion blur are pretty low on the cinematic picture quality scale. I recently bought the 50" version of the tv that you purchased (sony kdl50r450). It was inexpensive, but has a great picture. The input lag is ok, but not stellar. The led motion mode on these tvs helps to reduce ghosting to a great extent, but dims the picture a bit. I turn it on though. It is under the advanced settings under in the custom picture mode. Also, do yourself a favor and turn off the auto dimming feature in the "Eco" menu in the options. Helps with the brightness.

Maybe you've seen this, but here is a good database of how specific tvs and monitors compare: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts