AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey- my current tv is starting to die out on me, and with the next gen of consoles on the horizon, i figure its just about time for a new boob tube.

Wanted:

LCD or Plasma

37" preferred, but 42" acceptable

pc in (digital preferred)

1080i minimum, and 1080p if possible (read: affordable.)

built in HD tuner not necessary, but appreciated

under $2500 MSRP ($3000 is the absolute max. Not a dollar more)

Dont bother trying to find me a 'hot deal', cause my dads friend can probably get access to wholesale prices for me. Right now, the only two ive found are the Panasonic TH-37PX50U and Sharp Aquos LC37GB5U . I was looking at the 37" westinghouse monitor for a while, but i cant find a standard external tv tuner anywhere (non hd, as I have only a year to go before im stuck in the dorms) that outputs to anything acceptable. Ironically, my compter monitor has a tv tuner built into it, but the tv I was looking at didnt. :confused:

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDingo99
i cant find a standard external tv tuner anywhere (non hd, as I have only a year to go before im stuck in the dorms) that outputs to anything acceptable.
What does that mean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only external tuners I can find work through USB. I just need one that is intended for using with a monitor (and would bypass a computer.) Or, one that would output to component, composite, etc (Like you can with some VCRs, but without the rest of that crap.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
the only external tuners I can find work through USB. I just need one that is intended for using with a monitor (and would bypass a computer.) Or, one that would output to component, composite, etc (Like you can with some VCRs, but without the rest of that crap.)
The last time I saw one they were at RadioShack and were about $20 (MSRP, I swear).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill have to look into that. Thanks!

any other sets?

Also, is anyone familiar with westinghouse's 37" monitor? (cant link to it yet, unfortunately)

my text expert isnt familiar with it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You might check out the LG DU-37LZ30. MSRP was recenty lowered to $2999.95. It has a DVI input that can be used for PC or TV connections.

Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That set is pretty damn solid lookin- thanks. Anyone else?

ps- I checked at radio shack for an external TV tuner and they looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. No dice.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Viewsonic makes an external TV tuner to turn your PC monitor into a TV. I have one and used it for about a week on my desk but ended up getting a separate LCD TV instead as i needed both screens.

Viewsonic N6 Video Processor

I'm going to sell it for about $120 if anyone is interested :D

http://viewsonic.com/images/products/IMG_vb55_lrg.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.