AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 2-way splitter that will allow me to put my preamp's power supply AFTER I split the signal. I'm about to move my antenna setup and my first HD receiver only needs about 50' of cable. The other receiver will need about 100' of cable (RG6 QS of course).

So, I'd like to run a single line from the antenna's preamp (CM7775) and split it right before the first receiver. Then place the preamp's power supply at the long run after the split.

I've tried two different 2-way passive (bi-directional) splitters and neither one work.

Can anyone give me some recommendations, or maybe do I need to add a DC block on the short run after the split? I live in the sticks so all I have is Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Home Depot, and Lowes to work with.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If you've already tried a couple of splitters that pass DC through all, you should check out your receiver on the short run as you may have zapped the electronics with 18 VDC. I don't believe that very much electronics comes with their own DC block for protection.

As to a splitter that only passes DC on one side, you should be able to find an equivalent to the item that Mr. Breland posted at Rat Shack. Take a picture of the one Mr. Breland posted with you to RS. I couldn't find one at their on line shop, but I bought one at my local RS last January. RS's internet store turns over to new merchandise much more rapidly than do the local stores.

As to the virtues of QS RG-6 coax, it generally isn't all that much more expensive than good quality standard RG-6. Most guides discussing the running of coax tell you to avoid closely paralleling any power cables to minimize interference. My experience with retro-fitting coax runs into my 15-year old house is that the electricians chose the best and most logical cable run areas. So, to avoid a heck of lot of extra work, paralleling happens. Also, I've seen large microwave ovens play havoc with RF digital signals. Thus, QS coax is cheap insurance against problems after you put in all the labor to pull the coax.

·
Registered
701 Posts
taz-

I have the same set up as you describe. The CM7775 is on the antenna with the cable running about 50 ft. then split with an add on DC block to the short run and another 50 ft run to the 2nd STB where the power supply for the amp is installed. I bought the DC block from Radio Shack for a few dollars. The block just screws on like a regular RF connetion.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to all!

btw, I did test both of the MyHD cards afterwards, they still work like a champ.

Going to hit RS this weekend to pick up the DC block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.