AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my receiver to STR DH750, but I want to use my old subwoofer (Sony SS-WP700). This is a passive sub that I've realized needs an amp, but quite honestly I don't know where to start. It's a 135W unit so I'm assuming I need something in or around that range, but again I have no clue what I'm looking for. Please help!

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might also think about spending the money on a new sub, this would be a good time to step up rather than buy an amp for it. I can't find much info but seems the amp section of an HTIB amp it came with was rated at 135w 6 ohm at 10% THD for the sub channel.

ps For about the same as the amp above, you could have just a much better sub with this .....................

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I may just go with your suggestion and buy a new sub. One other question for you guys. I'm looking at the connections on the back of the sub and it has the RCA left and right, but my new receiver only has two "Subwoofer outs" that are apparently for monaural cable. How would I connect the two?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I may just go with your suggestion and buy a new sub. One other question for you guys. I'm looking at the connections on the back of the sub and it has the RCA left and right, but my new receiver only has two "Subwoofer outs" that are apparently for monaural cable. How would I connect the two?
So does this sub have an amp or not? Wonder what the rca plugs are for if there is no built-in amp? Are they marked inputs? I thought I saw an image of just wires going in the back of the sub.

Or are you talking about the sub in the ad?

Usually for a sub with L/R inputs using either of your sub pre-outs will be fine as bass is generally mono anyways. You can split one pre-out from the avr so you are plugging into both L/R inputs, that can boost the gain by 6db. Depends on above as to which sub we're talking about....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was referring to the sub you suggested in the link. So i would simply use the red and white plugs from the sub to the receiver but i would only plug one of the 2 plugs into the sub out? Im also considering just using my old receiver as my amp for now. Is that pretty self explanatory?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I was referring to the sub you suggested in the link. So i would simply use the red and white plugs from the sub to the receiver but i would only plug one of the 2 plugs into the sub out? Im also considering just using my old receiver as my amp for now. Is that pretty self explanatory?
Either use just a single rca cable between the avr's sub preout and one of the inputs on the sub, or a cable that splits the signal from one to two and use both inputs on the sub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm having an unbelievably hard time getting my two receivers to play nice. I'm connecting the old receiver with the passive sub to the new receiver by using RCA plugs. I have both the red(R) and white(L) plugged into the TV input on the legacy receiver and just the white(L) plugged into one of the 2 pre outs on the new one. Both receivers are on the same TV input, but through auto calibration or anything for that matter I'm getting nothing from the subwoofer. Any adjustments I need to make on either receiver to make this work?

FYI - There is no other connections on the sub at all. It's strictly speaker wire which is connected to the old receiver

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I'm having an unbelievably hard time getting my two receivers to play nice. I'm connecting the old receiver with the passive sub to the new receiver by using RCA plugs. I have both the red(R) and white(L) plugged into the TV input on the legacy receiver and just the white(L) plugged into one of the 2 pre outs on the new one. Both receivers are on the same TV input, but through auto calibration or anything for that matter I'm getting nothing from the subwoofer. Any adjustments I need to make on either receiver to make this work?

FYI - There is no other connections on the sub at all. It's strictly speaker wire which is connected to the old receiver
So you're connecting just one end of a red colored rca cable? Why?

The line level output of the sub preout on your avr may not be sufficient for the line level input needed on your old receiver is one possibility. Have you tried boosting the subwoofer level in the new receiver? Or is this already maxed out? Is the old receiver set to play in mono mode?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts