AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 42" Panasonic Plasma (component only) that I am setting up in a rental house. Currently I have it connected to an HDMI conversion/switch box that gives me access to a cheap Sony blue-ray player (HDMI only) and my Dish Satellite receiver (HDMI or Component?). I'm using oversized computer speakers for the sound. While this works OK it's a pretty ghetto setup. Since it's a rental house I don't want to break the bank but I do want something with decent quality sound that can be controlled via remote. I'd like to avoid switchboxes and other complicated setups. This needs to be idiot-proof and user friendly. I was thinking of one of those HT in a box w/built in DVD deals but I'm concerned about mixing/matching component and HDMI connections. Any advice on what I should get?

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyak  /t/1472881/need-help-finding-an-inexpensive-ht-setup-with-my-older-component-tv#post_23319751

I have an older 42" Panasonic Plasma (component only) that I am setting up in a rental house. Currently I have it connected to an HDMI conversion/switch box that gives me access to a cheap Sony blue-ray player (HDMI only) and my Dish Satellite receiver (HDMI or Component?). I'm using oversized computer speakers for the sound. While this works OK it's a pretty ghetto setup. Since it's a rental house I don't want to break the bank but I do want something with decent quality sound that can be controlled via remote. I'd like to avoid switchboxes and other complicated setups. This needs to be idiot-proof and user friendly. I was thinking of one of those HT in a box w/built in DVD deals but I'm concerned about mixing/matching component and HDMI connections. Any advice on what I should get?

Honestly, since this is a rental property, I would look for the lowest cost solution. I would recommend a cheap soundbar/subwoofer set up. Yes, I would look for the lower priced models. In fact, I would check e-bay for used soundbars. The volume is still operated by the TV, so less remote hassles as well.

As for the Dish question (HDMI or Comp), I would go component cables stright to the TV from the receiver. TV HD is only 1080i anyway, in fact some people say component cables give a better picture.

You can connect a Blu Ray with component cables as well, but you do lose the "upscaling" feature for regular DVDs. I would keep the Blu Ray set up as it is.

So, I would go with a soundbar set up, and skip the whole HTIB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts