AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently put in an order for a set of Salk Songtowers + a Songcenter. So I have about 2 months before I need this receiver.

Sensitivity: 88db

Impedance: 4ohm

http://www.salksound.com/songtower%20specifications.htm

I'm intending to get surrounds as well, probably in the range of $300-$400, same with a sub.

Now I have a budget of up to about (give or take) $1500 for an integrated AV receiver or perhaps I can go with the likes of pre/pro+amp.

Contrary to most I'm actually single and LIKE the equipment to be heavy/large - I get peace of mind when I see a receiver weighs 70lb, and get worried when I see one that is 25lb so I don't mind having a beast of a receiver, actually I prefer it

Anyhow here is what I've been considering so far (in no particular order), but I'm looking for suggestions!
  1. Emotiva UMC-1 + XPA-5 ($1400)
  2. Onkyo TX-NR5008 or 3008 ($1300)
  3. Denon 4311 ($1500)
  4. Marantz SR7005 ($1300)
  5. Yamaha RX-A3000 ($1300)

I know the UMC-1 has issues, but at $500 it may be worth to get now and upgrade later?. I also wouldn't mind using any other processor but couldn't find one in this price range to go with the XPA-5.

The Onkyo seems to me to be the best value and current front runner, it's truly a monster for that price and has a full feature set - except airplay
But it can also take my laptop from the VGA and display it out the HDMI which I like.

The Denon I also like because I've seen/heard it and liked the way it sounded, and I really like airplay (have a mac). However I don't like that this is last year's model and the price hasn't gone down plus a new one may come out spring 12.

I like the looks of the SR7005 and it has gotten good reviews but something tells me its about to be replaced and I REALLY don't like that it weighs only 28lb where as the Onkyo is 55lb - that doesn't sit well with me.

Not sure how the yammy compares to the rest but many people wear by them.

Here is what I'm looking for and what I use the system for daily:

This will be for 70/30 movies & music respectively. I do like to listen at decently high volume sometimes for movies to get "into" the experience.

I use my laptop very often connected to the TV for Netflix/looking at pics/general browsing.

HDMI pass through is a very cool feature to have too.

I have a mac so airplay is a huge plus (btw how is the quality?? equivalent to a physical connection?)

I'm a sucker for bells and whistles, and I always like to have the latest and greatest (who doesn't right?)

Lastly I'll be moving overseas in about 5 months time, and I really like that the emotiva units support 240V/60Hz

Oh Oh!! and I naturally have an Iphone so having the ability to control the receiver from that is also a plus

As you can see I could certainly use some advice/suggestions!!!

Please help dear AVSForum geniouses

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'd suggest an Anthem MRX 500 + Apple TV for Airplay. The Anthem is a digital receiver, and you can use the digital out from the Apple TV to add Airplay to pretty much any receiver for $99.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at the Anthem, but the only advantage it has is possibly a better amp section, yet it costs a good bit more and omits a lot of the features the other options have.

The Apple TV is a very good idea though, may work well with the Onkyo?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

you could do a lot worse than the 4311...

it's "current", even though it was released last year... fwiw, the 4313 (coming next spring?) is going to carry a significantly higher msrp...

·
Premium Member
89,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUENGR /forum/post/20982617

The Denon I also like because I've seen/heard it and liked the way it sounded, and I really like airplay (have a mac). However I don't like that this is last year's model and the price hasn't gone down plus a new one may come out spring 12.

I like the looks of the SR7005 and it has gotten good reviews but something tells me its about to be replaced and I REALLY don't like that it weighs only 28lb where as the Onkyo is 55lb - that doesn't sit well with me.

Not sure how the yammy compares to the rest but many people wear by them.

The SR7005 is a clone of the 3311CI. The 4311CI will be replaced in the spring 2012 by the 4313CI and as it will also be replacing the 4810CI, the MSRP is more likely to be near $3000, therefore the street price of the 4311CI is likely to remain steady for quite some time.

Check with your local Best Buy/Magnolia's as the A3000 is reportedly being cleared at as low as $750.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Regarding Denon, per my source
... there won't be a 4312/13 - it will be replaced with a unit that will be in the likeness of the 48 series (don't know pricing) late spring. There will be a model introduced above the 3313 next year - but not until fall. Right now the 4311ci appears to be the best unit to get at least until late next year - but don't know the specs of the new 3 series unit.

One thing I find very interesting, I have an older 3806 unit with Burr Brown DAC's. The 4311ci has a different kind of DAC but not Burr Brown (which now is being offered only with the more expensive 48 series and above, with also a higher quality Realta video processor). How good are the DAC's in the 4311ci?

·
The Village Idiot
9,567 Posts
I doubt Denon would knowingly take a step backward in sound quality by omitting the Burr-Brown DACs. In any case even the cheap DACs found in run-of-the-mill CD/DVD players of today are light years ahead of the better offerings of 10 years ago. While Burr-Brown seems to have some mystical hold over some audiophiles I think their grip on the high-end DAC market may be coming to a close.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

amen. dacs are commodities in today's world. there's nothing "special" about them that have made them immune to the way the technology curve works.

one hope that grip loosens REAL soon, but somehow, i doubt it...

furthermore, the same is true of video processing, especially for those without projection systems...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUENGR /forum/post/20983939

I've looked at the Anthem, but the only advantage it has is possibly a better amp section, yet it costs a good bit more and omits a lot of the features the other options have.

The Apple TV is a very good idea though, may work well with the Onkyo?

Yes, it should work well w/ any receiver with a digital in. I have owned both Onkyo and Anthem. My Onkyo ran much warmer (hot even) compared to the Anthem. With the Anthem you may lose some bells and whistles, but you gain ARC, one of the best room correction systems.

If you don't want last years Denon, have you considered the AVR-3312CI from the In-Command series? Has Airplay, beefy amp and is this years model.

http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Page...c-d2224674832a

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

As luck would have it I ended up snagging a RX-A3000 for $750 at best buy. Just couldn't pass it up.. Now I just have to figure what to do with the other $750 burning a hole in my pocket.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

you REALLY want to ask us that question?

great buy on a great piece of equipment... well done...
my friend and fellow poster phantom is rather impressed with his, and i trust his judgment...

enjoy!

·
Registered
14,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUENGR /forum/post/20999703

Now I just have to figure what to do with the other $750 burning a hole in my pocket.. any suggestions?

You mentioned either new surrounds or a new sub might be needed. So I would suggest either a Rythmik sub or Song Surrounds. Or you could splurge and get both and be all set till upgraditis strikes again

Bill

·
The Village Idiot
9,567 Posts
Or you could buy a lot of beer...and send me your address.

I like Red Hook ESB...

·
Registered
7,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/21001193

You mentioned either new surrounds or a new sub might be needed. So I would suggest either a Rythmik sub or Song Surrounds. Or you could splurge and get both and be all set till upgraditis strikes again

Bill

Yeah, those Rythmik subs look nice. Would like to have a couple of those myself.

·
Registered
14,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/21001385

Yeah, those Rythmik subs look nice. Would like to have a couple of those myself.

I went from an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus to the F12SE. The LFM-1 Plus was great with HT but for music it was a bit boomy with not much bass definition. With the F12SE I find it is much better with music with the bass notes of a bass guitar being much better defined. The F12SE works great for HT as far as I'm concerned although I'm sure there are subs that go much lower.

Bill

·
Registered
7,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/21001618

I went from an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus to the F12SE. The LFM-1 Plus was great with HT but for music it was a bit boomy with not much bass definition. With the F12SE I find it is much better with music with the bass notes of a bass guitar being much better defined. The F12SE works great for HT as far as I'm concerned although I'm sure there are subs that go much lower.

Bill

I've got to have subs that play music very well. We use our system for more music than anything else. Thought the servo's in the Rythmics would worl well for that. Can't stand boomy bass.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/21001237

Or you could buy a lot of beer...and send me your address.

I like Red Hook ESB...

put me on the distribution list for that address as well...

re: servo subs... i haven't heard a rythmik, but did previously own a servo design sub which i liked a great deal... it still lives on in a buddy of mine's system...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts