AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I had no idea this would be such an issue to resolve, and this is my first foray into home ownership and setting up a nice entertainment room. The spine of my room is the two Vizio 55" M552I-B2 side by side. One's for me and my video games/computer, the other is for my wife and her tv/apps on the tv.

Once getting them up and running, I quickly learned the stock remote works on both at the same time. Obviously this is because they share IR codes.

I'm looking for a solution for this under $200. I love the Harmony Home Control, but not sure how I would get it to work. I've had suggestions for an RF base with programmable remote for around $500+, but I'm not looking for something that intense. I also found this, which would likely work, but it's pretty goofy looking:

Next Generation Home Products greenGenius Remote Extender Genius (can't post links)

I really just want to have on remote control the TVs separately. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,234 Posts
Next Gen will work fine. Flying saucer can be hidden. Just put a blaster right on top of the IR window on one TV and cover completely to block all other IR coming in and going out. That's probably the cheapest RF solution you'll find. IP control via smartphone app may also work, but you'll have to confirm that yourself on iRule and Roomie websites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next Gen will work fine. Flying saucer can be hidden. Just put a blaster right on top of the IR window on one TV and cover completely to block all other IR coming in and going out. That's probably the cheapest RF solution you'll find. IP control via smartphone app may also work, but you'll have to confirm that yourself on iRule and Roomie websites.
Thanks for the reply. I'd prefer a Harmony over the saucer, if possible, but not sure how I would get that going. The saucer is a last resort. I'll have to look into the iRule and Roomies, but I don't own any Apple devices. Android for life haha.

·
Registered
15,234 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'd prefer a Harmony over the saucer, if possible, but not sure how I would get that going. The saucer is a last resort. I'll have to look into the iRule and Roomies, but I don't own any Apple devices. Android for life haha.
iRule works on Android too. Roomie database would at least tell you if IP control is possible. If so, you could use a Vizio control app or write your own, if you're so inclined.

Any RF Harmony will work too, if that's what you prefer. The Harmony Smart Control is only $100. All RF remotes are going to require some kind of base somewhere, about the same size as the Next Gen saucer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iRule works on Android too. Roomie database would at least tell you if IP control is possible. If so, you could use a Vizio control app or write your own, if you're so inclined.

Any RF Harmony will work too, if that's what you prefer. The Harmony Smart Control is only $100. All RF remotes are going to require some kind of base somewhere, about the same size as the Next Gen saucer.
Pardon my noobness, but if I were to do the Harmony, how exactly would I set it up? I'm new to IR blasters and what not, so how would I program it to control the two tvs separately even if they use the same IR signal?

·
Registered
15,234 Posts
Just as with the Next Gen, TV's IR ports would be physically isolated. Smart has no IR of its own, so sending signals from it would never reach the TV that had no blaster or line of sight with the hub. Just put a blaster on one of the TVs and make sure it's covered so no other IR gets in or out. Higher end Harmony RF remotes have addressable IR ports and you can disable IR on the remote itself for any device. Any of these solutions would work in your case. Smart may also have addressable ports, but I'm not certain. For more details, ask in one of the Smart Control threads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea this answer is a lot harder to come by than I originally anticipated haha. I can't figure out for the life of me if the ports on the Home Control can be programmed independently.

·
Registered
15,234 Posts
Yea this answer is a lot harder to come by than I originally anticipated haha. I can't figure out for the life of me if the ports on the Home Control can be programmed independently.
Maybe someone in the logitech forums can answer.

In any case, even if they aren't assignable, you can still control just one TV with the Smart and the other with a Vizio remote, which solves your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts