Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up my new LP350 and need a 25 foot S-Video cable to connect it to my receiver (which does all of my video switching).

I'm looking for a good quality cable that, given a length of 25 feet, will not experience any lossines or any degradation in video quality. However, I'm also not looking to spend an arm and a leg.

So far, the options that I have found are:

AVCable.com (Custom) for $35.35

Acoustic Research Pro-Series (AR HT123) for $25.99

RECOTON V-476-25 25' S-VHS Cable with Gold Connectors for $12.31

Phoenix Gold 50' Pro SV S-VHS Cable w/ 24k Gold Connectors for $47.71

Monster Video 3 S-Video Cable (26.24 feet) for $99.95

Monster Video 2 S-Video Cable (26.24 feet) for $49.95

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am completely confused by all of the brands and quality and prices. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Since I didn't want to pay "Monster Prices" for Monster cables, I went with the Acoustic Research svideo cable.

In fact, I purchased Acoustic Research subwoofer cables instead of the Monster subwoofer cables also.

I also purchased 12 guage oxygen free speaker wire from www.partsexpress.com

This speaker cable is another brand besides Monster also.

------------------
My HT

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I bought a 50 ft. S-video from www.cdw.com for $27 shipped !!! It was the Belkin Silver Series. I love it. I have it wrapped all around my HT room from the front to the back under the baseboards. The image is top notch. I can't see any change from using a 6 ft. generic S-video cord which came with my Toshiba DVD player and this 50 footer. P.S. I don't have any S-video amplifier. Another cheap source for 25 foot S-video cable is www.pccables.com for $9 but I can't vouch for its quality as I've not used it. Good luck.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Audioquest S1 in any length will outperform most other cables. Find a dealer and do an A-B comparison. You'll be

amazed!

·
Registered
93 Posts
try a2zcables.com. they have different choices in their website.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, unless someone can tell me a good reason not to, I think I'm going to go with AR Pro Series for $26. It seems to be a popular brand without Monster's expense and in the middle price-wise. I am still looking for more input so please feel free to contribute to the thread.

Many thanks to those who posted...

Don

·
Registered
150 Posts
For my 40' vga-5bnc I went with avcable's video snake based on their reasonable prices, cable tech specs and a few recommendations on this forum. I also got their component cable. I've been very happy with the sales and product and would recommend them to anybody.

SP

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
question one on specs... Is it COax?

question two on specs... Is its impedance 75 ohm

question three on specs... is is foil and braid shielded?

If the question to all three was yes... Then i am here to say that there is not going to be ANY appreciable difference in the pitiful 6 MHz frequency spectrum that our signals live in.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sprakash,

Could you tell me specifically what technical spec(s) of the AVCable cables you found to be superior to other cables? You are the second person to recommend them. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Svideo cable is 25 feet long.

It was the only place I could find this cable by Acoustic Research.

I went to Best Buy and Lowe's.

Lowe's had an svideo cable by Acoustic Research but it wasn't 25 feet long.

The cable was $34.95

I really wanted this brand so I paid the $34.95.

They have a cheaper 25 feet cable for $4.25 and a 50 feet for $6.50 but I got the AR brand.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=4488&DID=7

The speaker wire that I got from parts express was a 100 foot spool for $29.95.

12 guage oxygen free.

This speaker wire is make by Sound King.

I don't know if it's still on sale or not. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2792&DID=7

It appear that the speaker wire that I purchased is not on sale anymore.

Also, if you need Acoustic Research subwoofer cables, I got the best price from Lowe's.

The Acoustic Research subwoofer y connects were cheapest from Best Buy.

------------------
My HT

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dizzman: as an EE I agree partially with you, yes you are right it shouldn't make much of a difference. However most cables are not double independant shielded and there are really cheapo lame cables out there. Since the Chroma signal is only 0.3Vtt (Volts top to top)and can easily be influenced from other sources (noise) I wouldn't recommend going for unknown cheap cables. Some cables even use only one shielding for the entire cable!!!

A good SVHS cable or S-video or YC cable should have all the qualifications Dizzman already mentioned PLUS there should be a different (isolated) shielding on each cable (Y and C) PLUS there should be another different isolated shielding surrounding the entire cable which should connect with the mini DIN connector (which preferably also should be metal) So three different isolated shieldings. If a S-video cable does not have it then I would not recommend it for long cables (hell I would not recommend it at all cause the manufacturer has tried to cut costs)

Best thing to choose is if you can lent all cables, connect them and try to see which looks best (look for very dark scenes with some bright objects in them and try to see if you can see reflections of the bright object in the dark area's. Other test is to check the colors (with a testpattern, do they look crisp and jump from the screen)) I had a test with 4 cables last year (can't remember all the brands) and couldn't see much difference on short cables (<2 feet) but sure could see it on the 25 feet cable (reflections (dark and light bands running over the screen), noise)

Don Black: try all cables if possible and look if you can see the difference. If you are not allowed to test the cables and have to buy blind then I should NOT save the last few $ on the cableprice. Hell you paid $3000 for a projector now you wanna save 1.3 % ($40) on the most important cable connecting to it?

British have a nice saying: pound foolish penny wise.

[This message has been edited by Kjelt (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is a bit tangent, but one of you may know...

Is there a simple S connector made to be used with a pair of RG-59 coax cables? I've given up on my S connection 'cause the only ones I could find are a real pain in the @ss. You need hands the size of a two year old to work with 'em. My cables are already run, so I'm additionally hampered by trying to perform the operation ten feet in the air.

Jordan

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for all of your help. I decided to sell my LP350 and keep my LT150. Be prepared for questions about breakout cables from me! =)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.