AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am finishing my basement the next few weeks and want to get some assistance on speaker placements. I have purchased a Onkyo HT-S6100 HTIB set to go along with my 50" Panasonic Plasma and have included a diagram below. I wanted to get some input as I have some concerns about the setup and help would be much appreciated ... Thanks in advance!

Concerns:

1) Are the two surrounds too close at 2FT away from the couch?

2) Are the rear surrounds too far away at 11FT?

Cheers,

Zoomby_U

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Check out ... www.dolby.com

click on spkr. config.

The sides look okay in your diagram.

The fronts and rears could be pulled in more towards the sofa if possible. (so that the spkrs form somewhat of a circle around the seating area)

If you can't move the rears at least move the fronts forward away from the wall.

Purchase a test disc.

·
Registered
30,881 Posts
Not a good idea to place your couch at the midpoint of a room dimension, as you have with the room length. Better to place the couch at one of the room's 1/3rd points, which will yield smoother frequency response in the seating area.

For a 50 inch screen, SMPTE recommends a 7-foot viewing distance while THX recommends between 5.5 to 8 feet. If you place the couch between 7-8 feet from the front wall, then you'll be at a good viewing distance for your plasma AND at roughly 1/3rd the room length.

Personally, I would move the centre line of the system a little to the left, allowing each side speaker to be a bit further away. Also, spread the rear speakers further apart; makes it easier to hear stereo separation behind you.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,

I revised the plan and made the following changes ... let me know what you think.

- Moved the couch up from 11ft to 8ft from front wall

- Moved surround speakers out 1ft from couch

- Moved rear surrounds directly behind couch 4ft away mounted on the ceiling pointing down

Cheers,

Zoomby_U

1 - 5 of 5 Posts