AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I needs some advice before I continue with my networking project.

Right now I have cat5e ran behind my walls going to all of my bedrooms. Each bedroom is terminated with a keystone jack plate that is wired using the T568A diagram. The other end of the Cat5e cable is RJ45 wired with the T568B diagram. The home builder wired the keystone plate and I wired the RJ45. At the time I did not know about trying to keep them the same. The deal is when I plug the RJ45 into my Linksys 160n router I DO get internet connection in all of the jacks with my task manager showing 100mb/s link speed. What I want to know is from what I read on google is that I hooked the ends up wrong by not making them the same termination at ends. I actually made a crossover cable. Is this ok? But like I said everything works.

Now the next question is I plan on installing a gigabyte wireless router and gigabyte switch. Will my setup still work and give me gigabyte speeds? I am waiting for these items to arrive by mail and its killing me wondering if its going to work. If its not going to work I would like to go ahead and rewire the keystone jack plates to T568B and be done. What do you guys/gals think? Should I rewire or everything I have now will work fine? I rather not touch anything since everything works fine now. I'm no electrician and would hate to make things worse. I also read that the switches and routers of today will automatically make the cabling work no matter how its wired. Advice and help please.

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You are correct, most newer routers and switches have an auto-sensing device in there so it does not really matter how the wire is terminated (straight or crossover). It will not affect your speeds so I wouldn't mess with it if they are working right now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick151 /forum/post/18144922

You are correct, most newer routers and switches have an auto-sensing device in there so it does not really matter how the wire is terminated (straight or crossover). It will not affect your speeds so I wouldn't mess with it if they are working right now.

Thanks for the quick reply Maverick!

Will having two automatic devices cause any type of problem? In other words if my router is automatic and my switch is automatic will they cause an issue since they are both automatic with the cabling being wired different at each end?

BTW this is the gigabyte router and switch that has been ordered. Anyone know if these will automatically correct my goof up wiring?

Switch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

Router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

Thanks again!

·
UHD Addict
39,565 Posts
Not sure about the 100BT crossover cable working with gigabit though. since a gigabit(1000BT) cross over cable is different than a 100BT crossover cable.

A crossover cable for gigabit has all four pairs crossed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/18145005

Not sure about the 100BT crossover cable working with gigabit though. since a gigabit(1000BT) cross over cable is different than a 100BT crossover cable.

A crossover cable for gigabit has all four pairs crossed.

I guess I will just wait until my gigabyte router and switch arrive and see if I get my gig speeds. If not, then I will re-wire my keystone jack plate to T568B and see if that corrects the issue.

Thanks for the help and I will keep everyone updated once its all hooked up at the end of the week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I were you, I would make it right and fix one end or the other so everything is wired with one standard.

While it may work with auto-sensing Ethernet hardware, it will cause big headaches if you or a future owner tries to use the cabling for anything else, e.g. a/v baluns, IR extenders, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy4 /forum/post/18145592

If I were you, I would make it right and fix one end or the other so everything is wired with one standard.

While it may work with auto-sensing Ethernet hardware, it will cause big headaches if you or a future owner tries to use the cabling for anything else, e.g. a/v baluns, IR extenders, etc.

Yea you're right. I will go ahead and rewire the keystone plates to T568b

thx

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
+1 on the re-do. You'll kick yourself later if you try to use the wiring for a non-Ethernet purpose and spend hours debugging because you forgot about that...

Personally, I'd re-do the RJ45 connectors. A bag of them is super cheap, and you can do it all in one place, not have to open up wall plates (and move stuff). And, if you're not using them all now, just cut the ends off and do some later!

Jeff

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/18149052

+1 on the re-do. You'll kick yourself later if you try to use the wiring for a non-Ethernet purpose and spend hours debugging because you forgot about that...

Personally, I'd re-do the RJ45 connectors. A bag of them is super cheap, and you can do it all in one place, not have to open up wall plates (and move stuff). And, if you're not using them all now, just cut the ends off and do some later!

Jeff

ok I did the 3 main rooms tonight and I feel better now that they are the same on both ends. I will re-do the rest at a later date since i don't use them right now. The reason I did the wall jacks is bc the RJ45 cable coming out of the wall was cut kinda short by the builder and I don't won't to shorten them anymore than what they are. I have plenty of cable at the wall plates.

Now I'm hoping to get those gigabyte speeds by the end of the week when my components arrive!

Thanks to everyone for advice and help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.