AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

I am new to AVS forum.
Will appreciate your help in getting few answers.

I am setting up a new home theater system in my basement (open concept). There will no dedicated media room.
I own pioneer elite AVR SC 82 and B&W 705 S2 as front speakers (CM model as centre) and four 706S2 as surround speakers. Epson 4010 as my projector. my B&W SW is broken so thinking of buying Klipsch R-12SW Reference Powered Subwoofer (available in costco currently)

I noticed that my speaker wire (12 AWG Monoprice 4 conductor) length may go up to as long as 50 to 65 feet as I want to install the AV rack towards the back . See attached plan. Will I lose sound quality of my front speakers? do you advise to use 10AWG for my front speakers. I have read charts suggesting that 10 AWG will work upto 100 feet. I can put AV rank in the front bedide the bar as a back up plan but it may mess up with our bar set up.

Given that my basement is open, do i need a pre-amp? if so, which pre-amp would you recommend? Below are the specs from my current AVR
Output Power / Channel: 130 Watt, 210 Watt
putput power/total: 660 watt
Output Impedance / Channel 4 Ohm, 8 Ohm
Frequency Response at 1 kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.08 %, 1 %
Channel Qty 2

as my AVR is not not HDR pass though only 4k pass through, I am using a HDMI splitter to direct video to epson to see HDR movies which supports hdr10
In a years from now I would like to upgrade my AVR to be atmos compliant. Which AVR would you recommend for 7.2.4 atmos sound?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
First off, since you are setting up an open room in a basement with a concrete floor, you'll want a lot more sub than the little Klipsch. You'll want a pair of 15's as a minimum in an open basement, and 18's or 21's would be better. I'd look at Hsu, SVS, Rythmic, Monolith, or PSA for sub brands, or if you can do DIY subs, look at the VBSS design, or the Devastator.

Those are fairly long speaker runs, but you will be fine with Monoprice copper 12g speaker wire at those distances.

For an AVR, I'd recommend the Denon 3600H for 7.1.4 if you don't mind adding an extra amp for the Atmos channels (Dayton Audio and Audiosource sell suitable amps for ~$125. If you want everything in one box, you'll need an 11 channel receiver like the Denon 6500H. If you want to stick with Pioneer - I think the 904 is their 11 channel model.

I doubt you'd see much (if any) benefit to adding an amp for the B&W's unless you drive them to insane levels. They aren't that efficient at 88db, but I think any middle market receiver should be able to drive them just fine.

Is this basement currently unfinished? If so, I'll add my standard suggestion to go ahead and pre-wire for a 9.x.6 Atmos system as it's easy to do before drywall and hard to fish wires through later. I'd also run a conduit to your projector or TV from your equipment rack as one day the HDMI spec may change or HDMI may be replaced entirely. Speaking of HDMI, you'll need a fiber optic HDMI cable for any run over 25ft (and a certified one up to that point) for 4K playback. If your running it in wall (even in a conduit), I'd check it before install to make sure it passes a 4K/60 signal. I'd run Ethernet to my A/V rack for any streaming you want to do. Now's the time to do any soundproofing too, though it may be a moot point with an open basement. Save some money for acoustical treatments as they make a difference in what you hear more than any component or speaker.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off, since you are setting up an open room in a basement with a concrete floor, you'll want a lot more sub than the little Klipsch. You'll want a pair of 15's as a minimum in an open basement, and 18's or 21's would be better. I'd look at Hsu, SVS, Rythmic, Monolith, or PSA for sub brands, or if you can do DIY subs, look at the VBSS design, or the Devastator.

Those are fairly long speaker runs, but you will be fine with Monoprice copper 12g speaker wire at those distances.

For an AVR, I'd recommend the Denon 3600H for 7.1.4 if you don't mind adding an extra amp for the Atmos channels (Dayton Audio and Audiosource sell suitable amps for ~$125. If you want everything in one box, you'll need an 11 channel receiver like the Denon 6500H. If you want to stick with Pioneer - I think the 904 is their 11 channel model.

I doubt you'd see much (if any) benefit to adding an amp for the B&W's unless you drive them to insane levels. They aren't that efficient at 88db, but I think any middle market receiver should be able to drive them just fine.

Is this basement currently unfinished? If so, I'll add my standard suggestion to go ahead and pre-wire for a 9.x.6 Atmos system as it's easy to do before drywall and hard to fish wires through later. I'd also run a conduit to your projector or TV from your equipment rack as one day the HDMI spec may change or HDMI may be replaced entirely. Speaking of HDMI, you'll need a fiber optic HDMI cable for any run over 25ft (and a certified one up to that point) for 4K playback. If your running it in wall (even in a conduit), I'd check it before install to make sure it passes a 4K/60 signal. I'd run Ethernet to my A/V rack for any streaming you want to do. Now's the time to do any soundproofing too, though it may be a moot point with an open basement. Save some money for acoustical treatments as they make a difference in what you hear more than any component or speaker.

Excellent suggestions.

I have used 12AWG Monoprice wire (biwired them as well). My maximum wire length is 70 feet as of now.

I was interested in buying Denon X3600H too, unfortunately they have gone out of stock due to popular demand. I was toying with the idea of trying out Denon 4500H and Marantz SR6014 and using monoprice 7x200 or Emotiva XPA as external amps. I am interested in going to seperates. Never used marantz or denon before so not sure which one I will like in my HTS better.

I am using ethernet based HDMI extender (HDTBase) from AVR to projector and the HDR is working fine.
I am thinking of using optical HDMI cable in future when i replace my amplifier.

My basement is unfinished. Will put Roxul on ceiling though for some sound insulation to upper floors.
I have run Cat 8 ethernet from modem till the AV rack.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
hi

I am new to AVS forum.
Will appreciate your help in getting few answers.

I am setting up a new home theater system in my basement (open concept). There will no dedicated media room.
I own pioneer elite AVR SC 82 and B&W 705 S2 as front speakers (CM model as centre) and four 706S2 as surround speakers. Epson 4010 as my projector. my B&W SW is broken so thinking of buying Klipsch R-12SW Reference Powered Subwoofer (available in costco currently)
The Klipsch should be fine, unless yoou're looking to simulate earthquakes, really depends on your goals ;)

I noticed that my speaker wire (12 AWG Monoprice 4 conductor) length may go up to as long as 50 to 65 feet as I want to install the AV rack towards the back . See attached plan. Will I lose sound quality of my front speakers? do you advise to use 10AWG for my front speakers. I have read charts suggesting that 10 AWG will work upto 100 feet. I can put AV rank in the front bedide the bar as a back up plan but it may mess up with our bar set up.
Your 12 gage wire will be fine.

Given that my basement is open, do i need a pre-amp? if so, which pre-amp would you recommend? Below are the specs from my current AVR
Output Power / Channel: 130 Watt, 210 Watt
putput power/total: 660 watt
Output Impedance / Channel 4 Ohm, 8 Ohm
Frequency Response at 1 kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.08 %, 1 %
Channel Qty 2
I suppose you mean Power Amp, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but need is a very subjective thing, and really depends on your goals. I'm sure if you work with what you've got, you'll have a pretty decent system, better than many, but not world class. What are your goals?

as my AVR is not not HDR pass though only 4k pass through, I am using a HDMI splitter to direct video to epson to see HDR movies which supports hdr10
In a years from now I would like to upgrade my AVR to be atmos compliant. Which AVR would you recommend for 7.2.4 atmos sound?

Thanks in advance
I really like the Marantz Recievers, they offer top notch sound quality, and most offer Pre-Outs for all channels, so if you decide to add external amplification is a non-issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Klipsch should be fine, unless yoou're looking to simulate earthquakes, really depends on your goals ;)

Your 12 gage wire will be fine.

I suppose you mean Power Amp, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but need is a very subjective thing, and really depends on your goals. I'm sure if you work with what you've got, you'll have a pretty decent system, better than many, but not world class. What are your goals?

I really like the Marantz Recievers, they offer top notch sound quality, and most offer Pre-Outs for all channels, so if you decide to add external amplification is a non-issue.
Thanks
I want to maximize the sound quality offered by B&W speakers. Hence dont want to underpower them especially when using for HTS. Yes I meant power amplifier. Outlaw7000 vs Monoprice 7x200, any recommendation? outlaw is 135 watts per channel, monoprice is 200 watts.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks
I want to maximize the sound quality offered by B&W speakers. Hence dont want to underpower them especially when using for HTS. Yes I meant power amplifier. Outlaw7000 vs Monoprice 7x200, any recommendation? outlaw is 135 watts per channel, monoprice is 200 watts.
The speakers have a "Recommended amplifier power. 30W - 120W into 8Ω on unclipped programme", not sure you'll need more power than what a good receiver can provide, and you could always add an external amplifier if you feel the need, after you've lived with the system for a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The speakers have a "Recommended amplifier power. 30W - 120W into 8Ω on unclipped programme", not sure you'll need more power than what a good receiver can provide, and you could always add an external amplifier if you feel the need, after you've lived with the system for a bit.
Thanks.
I just bought a second hand monolith monoprice 7x200 wats amplifier through classified through this forum. I will keep you posted if the investment was worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts