AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on buying a new sub to complement my aging B&W DM305 and DM302 system powered buy a newly purchased Denon AVR-2310CI.

I have a room size of 12x8 with 8 ceilings.

I have a budget of around 1000$.

Primary use: 80% movies and 20% gaming.

I was looking at the Paradigm DSP-3400 but was told that maybe it was too big for my system and that it would overpower everything.

They recommended me a Focal Chorus SW 700 V but i'm not sure. It doesn't go very low and seems better for music that movies based on a review i saw.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: i'm in Canada btw. Forgot to mention this.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaken2000 /forum/post/18254459

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on buying a new sub to complement my aging B&W DM305 and DM302 system powered buy a newly purchased Denon AVR-2310CI.

I have a room size of 12x8 with 8 ceilings.

I have a budget of around 1000$.

Primary use: 80% movies and 20% gaming.

I was looking at the Paradigm DSP-3400 but was told that maybe it was too big for my system and that it would overpower everything.

They recommended me a Focal Chorus SW 700 V but i'm not sure. It doesn't go very low and seems better for music that movies based on a review i saw.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Overpower everything? Thats what amp level settings and subwoofer gain are for. You can always make it more subtle, but you can never make it punch more than it could at max.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah he told me that it probably was too big for my system and it wouldn't be a good match.

I didn't know what to think so that's why i'm asking for help. I find it difficult to choose

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
A salesman will always recommend the sub or speakers for which they get the biggest commission - or the boss says to unload asap.

A better description of your room would help. Is it totally enclosed or is it open to other rooms? For a sub to be effective it needs to pressurize the space it's in - all open space needs to be taken into account to get the best match for your listening space. If your listening room is 12x8x8 and not connected to other open spaces - i.e. close the door and it's enclosed - a decent 8" sub might be all you need.

What speakers will you be using with the new sub?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input.

I was afraid of that. You can't be sure that a salesman is looking at your interest before his...

I will be using a pair of DM-305 from B&W with the new sub. Here's the specs:
http://homecinema.info2002.com/dm305.html

The room opens to another room of approximately the same dimension: maybe 12x7 with 8 ceilings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts