AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently recording some programs (mainly the Simpsons) at extended quality, so that a half hour program can fit on a cd in its extracted mpeg format, without any conversion/compression. Of course, with this method, I can only watch the shows on my computer. I would like to create a vcd or svcd which I would then be able to play in my dvd player.

I have never created a vcd before, and I don't know what the difference between vcd and svcd is. I do know that my dvd player has the capability to play either one. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me on this topic.

The most useful thing for me would be to detail your process, step by step, that you go through to go from extracted mpeg, to a burned (s)vcd. If you could, please include what software is used in each step, where it can be obtained, and how much it cost (including the burning process - I have a few different burning programs, but I am not sure if any of them will do vcds).

Also, would I notice any difference in picture quality if I record the program at medium or high quality? I want to be able to fit a half hour program on one cd. I know I probably sound like I don't know what I am talking about, that is because I really don't, I have never created a vcd before.

Again, I would really appreciate any info on this topic you all would care to share. Thank you all for your time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I record at medium quality, and do all my encoding in TMPGEnc. A half-hour show is about 22 minutes if you cut out commercials, so you'll get three episodes to a disc on a VCD.

I also make X-SVCDs from the extracted files. This results in a higher quality disc, and I don't need to re-encode the MPG files (but you still do need to upsample the sound). One 22-minute episode will fit on a disc at medium quality. The downside is that it won't play on all players, even those that play regular SVCDs. But for your own viewing, if your DVD player supports it, X-SVCDs are pretty cool.

I recommend VCDImager for making VCD and SVCD disc images. It's a little complicated to use, but it's much better at SVCDs, and has better menu capabilities for regular VCDs than any of the CD-writing applications.

As FlipFlop mentioned, http://www.vcdhelp.com is a great site for VCD/SVCD stuff.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help. I will try this tonight when i get home.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
ijprest (or anyone else),

I think you'd be doing the ReplayTV community a great service (and I personally will be appreciative) if you would consider creating a detailed step-by-step procedure, complete with screen shots, settings, etc.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, Randy, thats really what I was looking for. Hopefully somebody will come through for us.

If I am able to create a working vcd, I will definitely post a step-by-step description of what I did, and then maybe others could modify it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been trying to use Tmpgenc to play with ss3000 medium quality MPGs. I've noticed 2 problems:

- it has some "buffer underflow" problems along the way, and the audio/video can get of sync

- when using its tmplates to create a standard SVCD, the upsampling creates "clicks" in the audio. How do you do the upsampling?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.