AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My scenario: I have a DVD jukebox setup on my HTPC where I ripped my DVD collection straight to (several) hard drives. We also just bought a portable DVD player that also plays MPEG4 (Xvid, Divx) files for my minivan.

My problem: My wife didn't wait for me to convert some of my 4 year old's favorite movies to Xvid format and put them on DVD-R disks to take with her instead of our precious originals. Result: One of son's favorite movies, "Cars", got dropped on the floor and stepped on while unloading the minivan and cracked right down the middle.

Ok, tragic, but not a big problem - I already have it ripped to hard drive, and of course, I still own the DVD (even if it is in two pieces now) - so I'll just do what I was going to do originally and run AutoGK to convert the HDD image to Xvid format - it goes faster that way anyway. But the problem is I didn't rip it in IFO mode, I ripped it in File mode - so when I run AutoGK on it, I get really really bad "audio out of sync with video" issues. And apparently, you can't tell DVD Decrypter to re-rip FROM a location on your hard drive - it wants something in the DVD drive itself to work on.

Ok, I can deal with this too - just run DVDShrink, reauthor the DVD image on the HDD with no compression to just have the movie and soundtrack, and AutoGK the results. But the problem is, for some reason, the main movie doesn't show up in DVDShrink for "Cars" (I've had this problem before with a few other movies as well).

This is where I need help on what to try next. I figure my options are:

1) Go out and buy another copy of Cars on DVD, rip it to the Hard Drive in File mode, and run AutoGK on it. This is obviously the easiest solution, but irritates me because I still OWN the original and have it backed up on my Hard Drive. This also puts a cap on the upper end of how much I'm willing to spend to "fix" this problem - I can buy "Cars" for around $10 (used from Netflix).

2) Try to fix the problem with NanDub or something similar by adding in a delay. I haven't had any success doing this in the past (and didn't spend much time trying since just ripping in IFO mode fixes the problem so much easier) - and I suspect the problem is multiple angles that a single audio sync offset won't fix because the sync problem will increase as the movie progresses.

3) Ask somebody more knowledgeable than me on AVSForum. Check.
Is there any way to tell DVD Decrypter to use a location on an HDD as the source rather than only a DVD drive? Because if I could do that, I could fix the problem easy - just re-rip in IFO mode from the image and then AutoGK can work it's magic without a problem.

Any ideas on what to try next?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 /forum/post/0

He says he ripped to "file mode" so Daemon Tools won't work.

This might:

http://www.imgburn.com/

you can rebuild the image from the files on the computer.

Ozy

Oh, that's cool - I was looking at the screenshots thinking "wow, that sure looks a lot like DVD Decrypter", then realized it's the same dude.

I'm not sure if I can pull it off, but I'll give it a shot - now, what you're saying is:

1) Use imgburn to create an image on the Hard Drive of the VIDEO_TS directory with all of its files.

Then what? It's too big to burn to a DVD. Is this where Daemon tools (which I've never used) comes in?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlingonScum /forum/post/0

Oh, that's cool - I was looking at the screenshots thinking "wow, that sure looks a lot like DVD Decrypter", then realized it's the same dude.

I'm not sure if I can pull it off, but I'll give it a shot - now, what you're saying is:

1) Use imgburn to create an image on the Hard Drive of the VIDEO_TS directory with all of its files.

Then what? It's too big to burn to a DVD. Is this where Daemon tools (which I've never used) comes in?

Yeah, then you can use Daemon tools to mount the image as a virtual drive.

However, if you still have problems, you can try this little trick:

use VLC to play each vob, and have it save the stream as an MPG (should be lossless conversion). Then, you can use GK to convert these mpg files to Xvid.

I've had to use this VLC method to convert a few DVD files that just wouldn't rip properly.

Ozy

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out DVDFabDecrypter will let you choose a Hard Drive folder containing a DVD rip, and has a "Main Movie" mode; I tried that, and I was able to get a single IFO version of Cars where DVDShrink could "see" the main title.

Unfortunately, I ran AutoGK on it and got a 3 second audio sync delay with the video. I tried running DVDShrink on it and then did a preview in AutoGK, same problem.

A friend of mine said he had the same problem with "Sky High". I have that one on DVD also and my wife hasn't managed to step on THAT one yet (
), so I tried that one, and got the same issue there too.

Tonight, I'll try to fix it with NanDub; my only problem is guestimating how long the delay is from eyeballing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.