Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brian,

The first thing I would suggest is to list out what equipment you have. What things you have tried already.

Do you have an elliptical dish or are you going to be using the 2 seperate dishes to get 101 and 119? The reason I ask is because you said you have resorted to using 2 dishes.

If you have the elliptical dish then it should of come with the multiswitch.

the 2 dishes you are using, do they both have a dual lnb with them? I know the 8900es switch requires 4 inputs. 2 from 101 and 2 from 119. You need both runs off the lnb connected to the switch so that the voltage requirement is met.

Has the access card ever worked in your receiver? Is it a brand new receiver. DirecTV may have to send down a signal again to activate the card. Obviously it might of missed the first time if you didnt have the sats hooked up right.

If you have done these things and it is still not working, I would tend to think that maybe your stb is not working properly. It might not be switching the transponders properly. I would suggest to try another stb in place of the one you are trying to get to work now.

Always start a troubleshoot with the easiest task first and then work you way to the more difficult stuff.

Hope this helps a little.

DWhite

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am using a round for the 101 sat and an elliptical for the 119 sat. The am using two different receivers at this time. #1 a basic $49 model from RCA which I run through my TIVO unit. #2 is a Sony SatHD-100. I have all four connectors hooked up, two from the 119 sat and 1 from the elip) The round dish has one line going to the RCA and one going to the input on the switch located on the back of the elip.

The access card that I am using does work some of the time. I will come home and fire the system up and turn the Sony on and it will give me that message. I then pull the card out and put it back and sometimes repeat that several times before the picture comes up. Other times, it works fine.

Re: Transponders - If I am using two different transponders on two different dishes (the 119 sat one not receiving any signal), could that be creating a problem? The HD channels work if I reconnect the 101 from the Ellip dish but it won't work when I use the cable from the oval dish. I am using RG6 cable. I do get the 101 stations when run from the oval but the HD gives me those funny messages.

Should I disconnect the lead to the 101 Transponder on the ellip dish?

Thanks for your help!

Brian

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I dont understand why you are using 2 dishes if you have an elliptical dish. This is what you will need no matter what dish you use. you need a dual lnb at 119 and a dual lnb at 101. run the 2 coax lines off the 119 lnb into the (Sat B in) of your switch. run 2 coax runs off the 101 lnb into (Sat A In)of your switch. So essentially you have 4 lines hooked to the switch. After that is done you can run up to 4 coax runs into your house from right and left outs on the switch. Obviously you only need 2. One for each receiver.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am ready to scream right now.

I have had to resort to using 2 seperate dishes to receive both Sats w/ DTV. The problem that I am having is this: When I run the 101 sat cable to the switch on the 2nd sat, I am able to get all of the stations on the 101 bird but get the following screen messages on 199 - Call customer service to order...blah blah blah." On 509 I get "Program not available in your area???"

If I disconnect the 101 cable from the other Sat I get the 119 Sat with both channels working fine.

I have called DTV and they are clueless, some people say that it is a software issue, others saying that it is programming issue, neither can fix the problem.

I though that maybe it could be the switch. I went out and bought a channel master switch. Nope - didn't work. But, I was not getting the same messages that I was getting on the other switch. 199 and 509 was saying channel not available. (But in the setup menu I was getting 86 and both birds).

I have not called Sony yet and hoping that I do not have to after reading some of the horror stories.

I am still having problems with "Insert Access Card" when the card is already in their. Someone suggested moving the unit to a cooler location, but this is not an option.

If the switch is not the problem, DTV saying that they have no idea, where else can I trouble shoot???

Thanks again guys and gals!!!

Brian

·
Registered
46 Posts
The reason that I am using two dishes is the installer was not able to get both sat on the ellip dish at the same time. I was forced to use two sep dishes. I have two lines from the B Sat coming into the switch. I have one line coming from my other "round dish" and a the second line coming from the LNB on the Elip dish (which is getting no signal." The problem exists when I have the longer run from the A sat coming into the switch on the ellip.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.