AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This is probably not going to have a good outcome, but on the off-chance you magicians can help me figure this out I am bringing my problem to you.

We have the following equipment

- TV: Panasonic P55gt50
- Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR807
- Player: some 3d panasonic with only one output

Herein lies my problem: The tv and player are 3d capable and the Nr807 is not. I know that I can just connect the blu-ray player to the TV and watch 3d movies w/out using the receiver and speakers at all, but what I am hoping to achieve is routing the audio back from the TV and down to the receiver.

Potential Solutions (that don't involve new equipment)

ARC (Audio Return Channel)
I would like to try connect the player directly to the tv and then use the ARC hdmi port on the TV to send audio down to the receiver. I cannot find out if the NR807 handles ARC. My guess is that it doesn't handle it, but I want to try. I don't know if the ARC is ONLY for tv audio from the antenna/apps or if it applies to anything I play through the TV.

Toslink
The TV also has an Optical out that I hope I can use to send audio down to the receiver. I don't know if the ARC is ONLY for tv audio from the antenna/apps or if it applies to anything I play through the TV. While I know that the Optical cannot handle HD audio I don't know what this means with regards to the solution; will nothing get sent down or will a lower quality version get sent down to the receiver? Do I need to change the output settings on the Player to send a lower quality audio mix to the TV or does this get handled automatically?

I know the cheapest solution is a dual-hdmi player. The latest (affordable) player I can find with good reviews is circa 2012 from Panasonic for about $140. The next step-up is a new receiver, which would likely be $300+. With the receiver I would also need to be wary of ensuring future compatibility for all the things I will never buy or use (but ...just in case!).

At the time, I chose the Nr807 over a receiver with 3d capabilities because I did not imagine I would have a 3d tv. The NR807 also had more power than the Denon I considered. Other than the "click-clack" noise when you change inputs I don't have any problems with it.

FWIW, the speakers I have are Infinity Primus
2x P362
1x C350
2x P163
No subwoofer atm, but hoping to pick up the lv12r from Rythmik.

Please let me know if I have the potential to watch 3d and enjoy surround or even stereo and at what quality of audio with the equipment I currently own.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
If your BD player has no optical out' either replace it with one that has duel HDMI or at least optical. To the best of my knowledge non of the ARC or optical out on the TV will send the HDMI audio to the receiver. Replacing the AV receiver is of course the ultimate solution.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your BD player has no optical out' either replace it with one that has duel HDMI or at least optical. To the best of my knowledge non of the ARC or optical out on the TV will send the HDMI audio to the receiver. Replacing the AV receiver is of course the ultimate solution.
Hi, Thanks for the response.

I was hoping to find a solution that I could leave permanently plugged in rather than something I would switch out whenever i want to watch a 3d disc. For example, most of the time I just want to watch regular blu-rays and enjoy HD audio via the receiver. If I were to use the optical from the player then I would have to downgrade the audio experience or switch back to hdmi when I watch regular movies.

So.. i guess there's no getting around it. I have to either buy a dual-hdmi player (please recommend some to me.. all the ones I've found are a couple of years old so I don't know if they've made new ones) or have extra cables around and re-plug whenever I want to watch 3d.

I don't suppose there's anything wrong with leaving one hdmi cable in my tv and optical in my receiver that are not connected to my player, right? Then I can just unplug the hdmi from the player and connect those two cables when i want to watch 3d with downgraded audio.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I would just buy a second cheap BR player (it doesn't even need to be 3D) to play your non 3D BR connected to the receiver for HD audio. The better player for 3D, DVD and apps with optical connected to the receiver (nothing other than 3D BR has HD audio out anyway). No cable swapping and cost less than $50. Or spend $200+ to replace the AV receiver you will spend close to that on a duel output BR Player

·
Registered
483 Posts
ABSOLUTELY try the TOS version 1st. If your TV has a opt aud out, it could/should have a setting in the audio menu that just sends ALL sound out the tos. So when you want to watch a 3D, send sound out the opt, and when you want sound out of the TV itself, just turn off the opt out.

I do it almost exactly that way in my set up. Read all about it in my thread. Link in sig.

·
Super Moderator
16,370 Posts
The problem is the TV will only send two channel audio out to the receiver when input as HDMI. Best option in this situation is to run the video directly to the TV and run optical audio out from the BD player to the receiver. You will be limited to lossy 5.1 (DD, DTS), but you will have surround sound. Lossless audio can only be sent over optical/coax as 2 channel PCM. If you want lossless audio you will need either a BD player with two HDMI outputs or a new receiver.

S~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts