AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new to this site. Just purchased a Dell xps computer with a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1250. I had Dell support help me set it up. Problems is i only get some channels, Do not get all of my cable channels, such a MSG,ESPN & OTHERS. I have verizon fios, but i am only limited to 2-68. Basic cable channels, but none of the others that i want. Is there a download or something i can do to get all of my channels. I live in NJ. I am not a computer geek, so any and all help would be appreciated on getting all of my channels. I am so computer stupid, so i can really use step by step instructions for anyone who has the patience to help!!! Thanks to everyone who can help!!!

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevoots /forum/post/19537451

Hello everyone, new to this site. Just purchased a Dell xps computer with a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1250. I had Dell support help me set it up. Problems is i only get some channels, Do not get all of my cable channels, such a MSG,ESPN & OTHERS. I have verizon fios, but i am only limited to 2-68. Basic cable channels, but none of the others that i want. Is there a download or something i can do to get all of my channels. I live in NJ. I am not a computer geek, so any and all help would be appreciated on getting all of my channels. I am so computer stupid, so i can really use step by step instructions for anyone who has the patience to help!!! Thanks to everyone who can help!!!

I hate to be the one to tell you this but in the US, with a tuner card, unencrypted channels are all you are going to get. That generally means "the big 4" networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) as well as PBS and maybe the WB/CW. Most providers put all other channels behind encryption whether they are "premium" or not, especially HD channels.

Some cable providers still offer "basic" cable in non-HD that some tuner cards can pick up but FIOS isn't one of those.

You need to take my word on this - with your level of experience, you don't even want to attempt to get full, extended live TV through your PC. It is a rabbit hole that has no bottom to it. Just stick with your FIOS box and keep your sanity. If you really want to pursue it start reading a lot of the threads here but be prepared to put in some serious time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you want all your channels, without keeping your cable box, you need a tuner card that accepts a "CableCard" so that it can be programmed with your account tier, and decode the channels you are subscribed to. Cable companies encode their premium content so people can't pay for a lower package, but still access premium channels. The technology of cable sends all channels to everyone all the time. So they encode most content, and make you have a device that they can program to your account to decode what you pay for (normally a cable box).

You can get a tuner card with a "CableCard" in it, and have Verizon program it with your account so you can get all your channels. There are currently 2 cablecard options: Ceton InfiniTV 4, which is a $400 card which is backordered currently (may take a month or so for your to get it after you order it). It allows you to record up to 4 channels at the same time, or watch 1 and record 3, or share some with extenders on your network, etc. The other option is a discontinued product, the ATI Wonder DCT. It can be had used for around $150, but it is not being updated and I heard it won't work with the latest, state of the art FioS network anymore. So really, you only have one cablecard option currently.

The other option would be to get the Hauppauge HD PVR, but you'd need to keep your cablebox.

These are the only ways to have access to watch and record your premium HD channels on a computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.