AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in a few forums that, through conversion and MORE conversion, you can take a physical DVD and somehow get it onto your PS3. I understand that there will be some loss in quality. The problem for me is that I have no idea where to get started. I have DVD decryptor, but I have no idea how to get a single .vob file, which is what some threads suggest doing. When I rip a DVD, it goes into a folder "C:\\VIDEO_TITLE\\VIDEO_TS and there .vob files, .bup files, and .ifo files. Basically what I'm asking is if there is a step by step tutorial or thread for people who don't know everything there is to know about conversion and containers and different file extensions/file size limitations for FAT drives? Ideally, I'd like to know how to take a DVD, put it my computer, rip it, do what I need to do to it through conversion, and copy it to my PS3 HDD through a thumb drive or over my "media server" (using WMP 11 on my laptop)? Please help. Sorry that I'm dumb.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
If you want to save time, skip all this for DVDs you own. Just get off the couch and insert into machine. Less than a minute's worth of time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm going to go ahead and try using AutoGK and see how it goes and I'll put the results up. I also have another question. Does anybody have a good suggestion of a small DVD (.vob) file that I can use for testing instead of going through the long process of a full length DVD conversion?

Also, is it considered bad form to send a friend request over PSN to a PSN ID you come across in this forum without asking? Or should a person ask first?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Pssssttt !!! Click on the link in my signature.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson /forum/post/12850601

Pssssttt !!! Click on the link in my signature.

So I checked out the link in your signature and there was a lot of good information. Nice job on the tutorial. I have a few questions for you now though, you might have opened up a can of worms you didn't want to. First, what program rips DVDs to the .mkv format? I have DVDecryptor and it seems to only rip to .vob files. Second, if I understand correctly it seems you have to do the audio separate from the video using BeSweet. Is this correct, or is it part of the larger package of mkv2vob and does everything on its own? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance for yours and everyone else's patience

·
Registered
573 Posts
I will leave the ripping of files to .mkv format alone.

But on the second question I can answer. mkv2vob will automatically convert everything for you to AC3 format. All you have to do is as I specified in the tutorial. Point to the .mkv, set where you want to save the converted file at, and let it runs its course.

Questions are perfectly fine. We are all learning here. I updated the tutorial probably since you last visited with the Tversity transcoding settings. So you may want to look at that again.

Also, I will edit the mkv2vob portion to better describe some things. It must have confused you and my apologies.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson /forum/post/12851604

I will leave the ripping of files to .mkv format alone.

But on the second question I can answer. mkv2vob will automatically convert everything for you to AC3 format. All you have to do is as I specified in the tutorial. Point to the .mkv, set where you want to save the converted file at, and let it runs its course.

Questions are perfectly fine. We are all learning here. I updated the tutorial probably since you last visited with the Tversity transcoding settings. So you may want to look at that again.

Also, I will edit the mkv2vob portion to better describe some things. It must have confused you and my apologies.

Is there any way we can watch mkv files in dts on ps3?

·
Registered
852 Posts
i have found that if you burn a copy of your dvd/movie in nero as a data video it will copy to the ps3 not matter the file size. i have recorded some football games to my laptop and then burned to dvd as a data video. put it into my ps3 and hit the triangle button which brings up information and a copy option just hit copy (as long as it's a data dvd) and download it to your ps3. i have file sizes as big as 7+gb and the quality is good.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye /forum/post/13349719

i have found that if you burn a copy of your dvd/movie in nero as a data video it will copy to the ps3 not matter the file size. i have recorded some football games to my laptop and then burned to dvd as a data video. put it into my ps3 and hit the triangle button which brings up information and a copy option just hit copy (as long as it's a data dvd) and download it to your ps3. i have file sizes as big as 7+gb and the quality is good.

If u have tried this or dvd rips with DTS or any BLURAY rips? with DTS, did it work? DL disc coasters are expensive though!

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/13350887

If u have tried this or dvd rips with DTS or any BLURAY rips? with DTS, did it work? DL disc coasters are expensive though!

I used to get DL coasters often until I went this past weekend and found that my local best buy has a DVD burner on sale/clearence for $29 (my other drive was older). The drive on sale (at least at mine) was a Pioneer 1810.

Since this weekend I have burned about 10 DL discs. None of them came back as coasters. Including the cheap Dynex that everyone else has a problem with (15 DL discs for $19.99 at BB).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts