AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Samsung 50 inch DLP 5065W. I have my computer (2000+ with a ATI 9700 Pro card) hooked up to it through VGA sub input. I can get Windows to work well through Powerstrip. I was also able to get the new game Vietcong to run at the above resolution (it was amazing on this TV.... amazing). However, many other games force me to run in 800 x 600. This looks decent at this size, but I would like a way to play at a higher rez. Any info or programs to help get programs to run at 1280 x 720?

P.S. What would be the best software based DVD player to create a HTPC DVD player from my computer?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You got windows to run under powerstrip 1280 x 720 so it seems you have it up and running correctly. When you play those computer games you are limited to whatever resolutions the game designers created. The standard game resolutions are 800x600, 1024 x 768, 1600x1200 etc. I can tell you almost all newer games support multiple resolutions, but you have to make the change in game. Some newer games on xbox and such support widescreen dimensions, but most are made to fit standard 4:3. So, if you want to see the game as the designer intended, you cannot deviate from his dimensions. You can do a digital zoom on a 800x600 game and fill your screen, but that would be a waste as you would be missing part of the game screen.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Vietcong seems to have a new engine. It will run at any resolution your card is configured for, I ran it on my laptop at 1400x1050 the detail was astounding but fram rate sucked. I plan to look for more games using this engine. Finally, games for hdtv.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Douglas,

My setup is the exact same. I've already got a bunch of games to run at the desired 1280x720, including Battlefield 1942, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 and GTA Vice City. Once you've seen them in the native 1280x720 resolution on the Sammy, you don't wanna play anything at a lower res, trust me :) Out of curiosity, did you ever get DVI to work?

Henry

·
Registered
954 Posts
1280x720p? Wouldn't the images being flattened? I'd like to check this out but wanted to see if one of you guys could take a picture or screenshot of BF1942? Thanks a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.