Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've read many posts saying that the opimal refresh rate on NTSC sources for a davis/HTPC combo is 72Hz. However, when I set the refresh rate to 72Hz, and the projector resets itself, the windows desktop always looks blury and shakey with shadows around the text. It looks perfect at 60Hz.

I've tried messing with the frequency and phase controls but I can't get it quite on. Would someone be so kind as to let me know what their Frequency and Phase values are when synched to 72Hz.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Use a checkerboard pattern (I can email you one if you like) to tune Phase and tracking until sharp...

If you have a DLS8 and HTPC you may be interested to follow the link in my Sig to a HTPC front end that would work well for your system... The v3.2 theme has projector phase and tracking adjustment screen built in...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Tony,

I suggest you take PP's advice. By the way, if you have your projector's phase and frequency optimally setup for 800x600 @ 60 Hz, that setting needs to be recalibarated at 800x600 @ 72 Hz, as you are sending a different signal. Another thing is that different videocards have different outputs. What works good for one setup may not work for yours.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PP and Larry,

Thanks a lot for the replies. I got it to sync using Phat's talisman theme. The projector freaked out a bit when it first got it, but after shutting it down and restarting, it synched almost perfectly on it's own. I just had to adjust the Phase a bit to get rid of some of the video noise.

Phat, I'm going to spend the next few nights playing with your HTPC theme to get it to work for my system.

Thanks again,

Tony

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Are you guys refering to just the DLX650? [email protected] is excluded from the VT540 timing chart. Are you saying that I could safely tinker with the phase/tracking and get it to lock?

Thanks!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey ManE,

Actually, we're talking about a Davis DLS8 which is the SVGA version of a DLX650. The spec on the DLS8 says that it can sync from 48 to 85Hz.

I don't know about the VT540, but it's specs say that it has a vertical sync range of 50 to 117 Hz. So, theoretically, it should be able to synch to any frequency within that range, but I'd check with someone who has this projector and has done it.

Tony

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonypeps:

Actually, we're talking about a Davis DLS8 which is the SVGA version of a DLX650.
Oh yes. The DLS8, whose name appears both in the title and the messages that were exchanged prior to mine. My sky temporarily turned plaid.

Quote:
I don't know about the VT540, but it's specs say that it has a vertical sync range of 50 to 117 Hz. So, theoretically, it should be able to synch to any frequency within that range, but I'd check with someone who has this projector and has done it.
I am an owner of a VT540 but cower from the thought of describing for my wife the reasons behind our projector's failure (of course, I could lie and blame it on you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ).

Anyway, every projector has a sync range. Is this definitely a solid range or can there exist "holes" of unsupported frequencies, and could those holes be harmful to one's investment? What of the timing chart in my manual that lists specific resolution/frequency combinations? Are these combinations just those that the projector will automatically recognize and other may/can be manually adjusted?

Thanks!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Any changes / mods to the HTPC theme are welcome and I am going to start to host others contributions so that we can get some kind of HTPC theme repository online...

Hopefully I can get some contributions for XGA, XGA WS (1024x576) SXGA and SXGA WS so that others may enjoy this as well...

Anyone who wants to do some work on this I have all the GFX in fireworks format so resizing the images etc is possble...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.