AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sure hope someone can help me here. We recently bought a

Sony HDR-XR200V camcorder and used it on our vacation. Now I want to edit, add titles etc and then burn to blu-ray. When we bought the camcorder, I just assumed that you can use Sony Vegas (being sony editing program and sony camcorder). We had a Sony DCR H32 camcorder prior to this and that's how we transferred, edited and burned our dvd's using Sony vegas. The HD camcorder comes with software (picture motion browser (PMB), but I don't want to use this as I have vegas and like it and know how to use it). I hooked up everything and I can't seem to capture the video from my camcorder hard drive to vegas and I can't seem to find any tutorials on doing so. Just wondering if someone has used this method with a HD camcorder and if so, would you please walk me thru the steps. My vacation is sitting in my camcorder and I want it out (lol)...Please give suggestions or any advice. It would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAnn /forum/post/16969255

The HD camcorder comes with software (picture motion browser (PMB), but I don't want to use this as I have vegas and like it and know how to use it). I hooked up everything and I can't seem to capture the video from my camcorder hard drive to vegas and I can't seem to find any tutorials on doing so.

I have a similar arrangement to you and at first, like you, I didn't use PMB. I have learned that it's a useful package.

First of all, PMB will import your files from the camcorder to the PC and keep track of which files have been imported, and which have not been. It will also stitch back together long takes that have been broken up into 2GB chunks. IMV, PMB is the best viewer for playing Sony m2ts files on a PC. No stutter, artefacts, bad interlacing. PMB will also let you make quick-and-dirty discs - whether BR or DVD standard. I like the way PMB names files but allows me to keep complete control over directories.

As to Sony Vegas (I have Platinum), it's straightfroward to "import media" and then place the m2ts files on the timeline.

----

You can do as barney suggests and simply treat the camcorder as an external device and drag-and-drop the files to your PC. I did this at first too until I realized the advantages of using PMB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got caught up in other work, but now I am ready to start editing and putting my video to Blu-ray. I see where Sony has an upgrade for PMB so that it will work on Vista 64 (which I have). I also see that Microsoft has an upgrade to Vista with a Service pack 2. (not sure if I should download that yet) Here is my problem and confusion.. I want to edit (which I assume that I can do on PMB (I don't find they give good explanations/iinstructions in the Sony guide that came with my Sony XR200V), I want to add titkes and then burn to Blu-ray, If I go the route of using PMB..can I do all these things and will the quality come out as good as I see when I hook my camcorder to my HD TV? I have sony vegas Pro 8.0c. I know you can add title pages with that. As someone suggested, I open camcorder and drag the stream files to my computer and just import to vegas using ..? I see their is import> AVCHD camcorder (do I use this??) Just not sure what to do or how to go about doing it?? (PMB vs Vegas) Please advise.

THANKS!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.