Have:

Athena Micra 5.1 System.

Athena Point 5 MK II.

Onkyo TX-SR606.

Need:

Speaker wire.

Speaker stands.

Dunno what else?

I want to use the center channel speaker from the Point 5 as the center. Then sell or keep the center from the Micras in storage, or would it be a good idea to use it as a rear speaker in my 7.1 setup? If not, I'll use two speakers from the Point 5s and put them in the rear.

Is this the best way to merge the two systems?

Also, I need speaker wire. Does it matter which speaker wire I get? Which gauge would you recommend?

I'm a total newb, so sorry if I'm frustrating with my ignorance!

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
You have both the Point 5 and the Micra? So you have a total of 10 speakers plus the subwoofer?

Unless you're fixated on having a 7.1 system I'd sell the Micras and keep the Point 5 and just go with a 5.1 setup. The Point 5's are better speakers with larger drivers than the Micras. The Micra is still good but the Point 5's are better.

If you insist on 7.1, use all five Point 5 speakers and then two Micra satellites as surrounds. Don't use the Micra center as a surround.

The Micras and Point5 are wall mountable and come with mounting hardware. If you want stands, there are too many to choose from.

Unless your speakers are more 40ft away from the reciever, just get some 16ga wire.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I have both systems. I bought the Point 5s by accident. The Point 5s did not come with a subwoofer though. So I only have the sub from the Micras. So yea, 10 speakers + 1 sub from the Micras.

I live in a loft so I'm afraid the Point 5s may be too boomy and loud.

I can't lie, the Micras look so much more appealing than the Point 5s though. They're also about 3 times smaller as the Point 5s are more like bookshelf speakers than a compact system. But I guess function over form right?

My Onkyo setup can support a 7.1 setup so that's what I'm going to go with. So I should use the Micras in the rear, side, or front?

The Micras came with the wall mounting brackets, the Point 5s came with none. I'm thinking about getting those cheap stands from monoprice.com that are $13 bucks a pair plus shipping.

Thanks for letting me know which gauge to get!

·
Registered
685 Posts
how is the seating in your room. if your seating area is against a wall, forget about 7.1. a good 5.1 setup sounds better than a comprimised 7.1 setup. unless looks are more important to you, I would go with the point 5's as you will get more range out of them. if you insist on 7.1, use the micras in the rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea did not buy it retail. Got it off eBay.

Still haven't set these up yet...ugh.

I think imma get monoprice speaker stands first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts