Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have an old panasonic thud-20 or similar sounding hd-stb. I have a hd compatible pj and my denon receiver in the middle. I bought a cheap double bowtie radio shack antenna and have it inside the house.

At first I got nothing, then someone told me about sub-channels and special hd channels, sure enough the first time I tried it w/ 25-1 as the channel I got the ncaa bball tourney in hd (after moving the antenna around alot). The next day I got to watch my Longhorns in Hi-def and it was great! Whenever someone walked in front of the antenna the image blacked out momentarily, but it was basically awesome.

Well, later that week I tried to find some primetime shows and failed. Then the ncaa came on again and I couldn't get anything still. Not even after aiming my antenna EVERYWHERE.

Why? What has changed? Am I in need of a better antenna or what? Can someone help me out?

I am considering Directv high def but I don't have the right shaped dish. :(

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
OTA digital signals can be very tricky to lock on to. I use an indoor antenna and sometimes, just moving it a quarter of an inch will turn a 100% signal into "0". If you have a signal meter, call it up and try and re-position your antenna. Without a signal meter, it's just trial and error.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can I buy a signal meter? Or use a dmm or something to test signal? My stb doesn't seem to have a meter for OTA and I don't have a htpc w/ hdtv either.

thx for the input on the issue. I figured it was something like that but, damn if I can find that perfect orientation anymore. I tried for an hour the other day. :(

thx

rob

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Rob...buy a Hughes HD receiver from Circuit City. Connect it and use the signal meter to position your antenna. When you're sure you have it pinpoint accurate, disconnect it and take it back to CC. They have a very liberal return policy (no questions asked).

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohhhh that sounds fun! good idea! I'm a bit afraid that once I have it I'll want to keep it but that is a good idea!

so there aren't any $20 signal meters??

thx!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.