AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1st post. After reading this forum for a bit, I have decided to use Monoprice to purchase an HDMI switch since my TV only has 1 HDMI input and I have 2 sources (Dish vip622 box & upconvert dvd player).

Before I place my order, I need to know whether there is any difference b/t the $98 5x1 enhanced switch and the $28 2x1 manual HDMI switch on monoprice's website? I only need 2 inputs, not 5, but will pay the extra money if there will be a difference in picture quality.

There is also a 3X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch with built-in Equalizer (REV.2.1) for $71 on monoprice. Will either of these present a distinct advantage other than more inputs than the $28 2x1 switch? I will be using the HDMI cables off of their site with this switch if that makes a difference. I also do not mind manually switching it without out a remote so that doesn't really matter to me - only the picture quality.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone??
I was wanting to place my order in the next day or two but wanted some feedback 1st b/f I do. Thanks...

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are quite a few HDMI switching products on the market. You should think about how may sources you expect to have, then purchase based on your anticipated growth. Keep in mind that there are a growing number of possible HDMI sources that you might put into your home, such as:

-Upscaling DVD player

-High def player (i.e. Blu-ray or HD-DVD)

-Video game console

-Set top box

-HD camcoder

-Digital still camera

-Laptop PC or media PC

Note: the first 3 items could potentially be consolidated into a single device.

A final note: in general, a compliant HDMI switch product should have the provision for a dedicated power supply. An HDMI switch box that is purely mechanical is quite likely to be non-compliant and thus have the potential to cause performance issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Radiient Select-4 is a 4to1 HDMI Switch that has both HDMI and SimplayHD logos, meaning it has passed both HDMI compliance and SimplayHD certification and interoperability testing.

I'm the President of Radiient, and a co-inventor of HDMI, and I just wanted the community to know about our product, as it has solved many problems for our customers who have experienced issues with compatibility when trying to connect multiple HDMI sources to their HDMI displays. Please see our website for details, and search the web for the many positive reviews the product has received.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_CoInv /forum/post/0

The Radiient Select-4 is a 4to1 HDMI Switch that has both HDMI and SimplayHD logos, meaning it has passed both HDMI compliance and SimplayHD certification and interoperability testing.

I'm the President of Radiient, and a co-inventor of HDMI, and I just wanted the community to know about our product, as it has solved many problems for our customers who have experienced issues with compatibility when trying to connect multiple HDMI sources to their HDMI displays. Please see our website for details, and search the web for the many positive reviews the product has received.

Jano, is that you
? Cool! Glad to see you here.

Not meaning to sound critical, but I have a question about the Select-4's description on your website . On that page it claims "Tested and guaranteed performance beyond 1080p and UXGA - future-proof design " (emphasis added), yet when you read the "more detailed information" link for the product it says "full-performance 165 MHz signaling speed capability". Well, yesterday's future is here now and the current HDMI 1.3 standard already supports 340 MHz* signaling speed capability, so I'm confused. Since the Select-4 is "future proof" is Radient Technologies claiming that it will support all of HDMI 1.3's features when connecting otherwise compatible devices? Maybe you can clarify this for us.

Thanks,

kelpie

*Although the current HDMI 1.3 standards support 340 MHz signaling speed capability, I haven't seen specs for a currently-available HDMI 1.3 transmitter or reciever that supports over 225 MHz- but it's still faster than the Select-4's 165 MHz.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, this is Jano. Thanks for checking out the Select-4.

You're right. While "future proof" regarding the Select-4 was perhaps more applicable in June 2006 when we introduced it and 1080p displays were not that plentiful, it still rings a bit true, in that many people who would buy the Select-4 today may not be purchasing a 1080p display, and therefore, when they finally would, the Select-4 would handle it. We may have taken a bit of "marketing liberty" with "performance beyond 1080p and UXGA". 1080p is 148.5 MHz, and UXGA is 162 MHz. Our product goes to 165! OK, 3 MHz isn't that far "beyond". Point taken.

Now, on to HDMI 1.3. To be exact, the current spec for HDMI is HDMI 1.3a. The Select-4 actually IS HDMI 1.3a compliant, and supports EVERY feature of HDMI 1.3a EXCEPT for one subset of an optional, but, I realize, very important feature: Deep Color at 1080p, which requires HDMI clock speeds > 165 MHz. The Select-4 DOES support Deep Color, but only up to 720p and 1080i. It supports all the other new (and also optional) HDMI 1.3a features, because it can pass all the new features through without modification. That means it supports 1.3a features such as xvYCC color space, automatic lip sync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DST (compressed format of DSD), Category 1 and 2 cables, Type C (to Type A) cables, and CEA-861D updates. As you noted, the 1.3a spec defines all the way to 340 MHz, but the maximum you'll see in the next year (and likely the max for a few years) is 225 MHz. Why 225 MHz? If you "round up" 1080p to 150 MHz, and utilize the Deep Color feature of HDMI 1.3a using 12 bits per color ("normal" HDMI is 8 bits per color), you get 150*(12/8) = 225 MHz.

Also, as you noted, I know of no chipsets available today that go faster than 225 MHz. Until such chips are available, Deep Color will stay at 225 MHz maximum.

In summary, the Select-4 will support products that include any HDMI 1.3a feature, EXCEPT 1080p in Deep Color.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_CoInv /forum/post/0

Yes, this is Jano. Thanks for checking out the Select-4.

You're right. While "future proof" regarding the Select-4 was perhaps more applicable in June 2006 when we introduced it and 1080p displays were not that plentiful, it still rings a bit true, in that many people who would buy the Select-4 today may not be purchasing a 1080p display, and therefore, when they finally would, the Select-4 would handle it. We may have taken a bit of "marketing liberty" with "performance beyond 1080p and UXGA". 1080p is 148.5 MHz, and UXGA is 162 MHz. Our product goes to 165! OK, 3 MHz isn't that far "beyond". Point taken.

Now, on to HDMI 1.3. To be exact, the current spec for HDMI is HDMI 1.3a. The Select-4 actually IS HDMI 1.3a compliant, and supports EVERY feature of HDMI 1.3a EXCEPT for one subset of an optional, but, I realize, very important feature: Deep Color at 1080p, which requires HDMI clock speeds > 165 MHz. The Select-4 DOES support Deep Color, but only up to 720p and 1080i. It supports all the other new (and also optional) HDMI 1.3a features, because it can pass all the new features through without modification. That means it supports 1.3a features such as xvYCC color space, automatic lip sync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DST (compressed format of DSD), Category 1 and 2 cables, Type C (to Type A) cables, and CEA-861D updates. As you noted, the 1.3a spec defines all the way to 340 MHz, but the maximum you'll see in the next year (and likely the max for a few years) is 225 MHz. Why 225 MHz? If you "round up" 1080p to 150 MHz, and utilize the Deep Color feature of HDMI 1.3a using 12 bits per color ("normal" HDMI is 8 bits per color), you get 150*(12/8) = 225 MHz.

Also, as you noted, I know of no chipsets available today that go faster than 225 MHz. Until such chips are available, Deep Color will stay at 225 MHz maximum.

In summary, the Select-4 will support products that include any HDMI 1.3a feature, EXCEPT 1080p in Deep Color.

A VERY informative answer. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts