AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: I studied the entire "Show me your RACK" thread, but I didn't see anything that meets my needs, sooo...

Has anyone seen any examples here or elsewhere that completely hide a rack behind tasteful/standard household decor? I've got a plan in mind for my setup, but the WAF, my curious kid, and rack placement requirements (right next to TV where lights from rack annoy me) are keeping me from leaving the rack visible at all times, so I'm trying to come up with a crafty way to hide it behind a hinged...something?

My thoughts thus far have been to build a modern shelving unit on hinges, or to use an acoustic panel on hinges -- kinda like a hidden safe. But I'm open to more ideas, particularly the kind with example photographs, if you guys have any!

This is for a family room HT with a sectional sofa, plasma, and a projector, not necessarily a "theater-style" HT.

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check out the NOT HERS build thread. He did some neat stuff using motors to open a movie poster that hid his cd storage racks. I am still thinking about doing something similar to hide the access to the back of my rack.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Also check out the Show Me Your DIY Rack thread, as well as BigMouthinDC's build. I seem to recall he had a pretty sweet rack hidden behind a column or acoustic panels or something like that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by badata2d /forum/post/17016590

Check out the NOT HERS build thread. He did some neat stuff using motors to open a movie poster that hid his cd storage racks. I am still thinking about doing something similar to hide the access to the back of my rack.

I can't seem to find that thread using the search. Got link?

EDIT: nvm, found it. looking through it now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the leads guys. I saw BigMouthInDC's setup before, which is kinda what gave me the idea to use normal decor in the room to hide the rack behind a hinged decoration. However, this room is a family room/theater, so I can't really use his column idea. (I also know this is the wrong forum for this, but you guys with the dedicated theaters have the best rack ideas around!
)

The motorized picture idea is closer to what I'm looking for, but I just don't think I have the patience or know-how to pull off the motors. I'll certainly consider it though.

In the meantime, please keep the ideas coming! and THANK YOU!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Can you show us some pics or at least a layout?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko /forum/post/17019789

Can you show us some pics or at least a layout?

I wish I could. Unfortunately I'm stuck in Iraq at the moment, so all of my plans are being done without physical access to the room itself. I'm just killing time by trolling these forums and planning ahead
I bother the WAF every evening on skype with my new and crazy ideas... Maybe I can talk her into taking pictures and posting them up somewhere... hmmm...

3 months to go! woohoo!

DC -- thanks for dropping in! I love your hidden rack in the column, but the WAF vetoed my original dedicated theater idea, so I have to go with plan B. The bookshelf idea is one of the two ideas I had too. To the best of your knowledge, has anyone else used/built a bookshelf for this purpose?

My only worry with the bookshelf would be items falling off whenever I open it... maybe I should just glue the picture frames and such to the shelves! LOL!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_fisherman /forum/post/17020604

My first response is, why hide it when you can flaunt it? Then I realized which forum I am in again.

Is the equipment going to be in an "actual" rack? Will it be in a cabinet w/ shelves of some sorts?

My WAF said that she'll only "accept it" if it's either a) completely hidden, or b) in a TV stand beneath the screens.

The problem with Option B is that I don't like to stare at all the lights while the movies are playing, and I don't want it within reach of my kids.

So I'm basically fishing around for ideas to pull off Option A - hiding it in the wall.

I don't want it in another room though because I DO want to show it off from time to time!

If people ask where it is, I'd like to say: "oh, well, it's right here hidden behind the... "

I might even go one step further and hide the retractable screen and projector behind soffits/boxes. That way, My entire system -- sans TV and speakers -- would be in stealthmode! lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts