AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By what method should I ship a pair of Magnepan 2.7s? I bought a pair of Martin Logan CLS speakers and we cannot find someone to ship speakers this large. Anyone have reccomendations?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Man this is a problem I had not to long ago. Do you happen to have the original boxes? If so you may be able to send them via UPS. Only problem is you'll have to pay an oversize fee. This is not cheap.

The only other option I'm aware of is to send via subcontracting a moving company or a freight company.

Problem with a freight company is that you will end up shipping the speakers with some other not so delcate items and are risking damage. Subcontracting a mover may be the best bet. that is, find a company tha is moving someone's furniture ect. and pay a fee for having them do an extra side trip. I can't say I have personal experience with this, but I do know it's an option.

I tried for a long time to have a pair of snell type A speakers shipped. Alas the lack of original boxes, I couldn't find a box that would be large enough, or study enough, I wasn't able to have them shipped. Not to mention the ridiculous shipping costs. :(

·
Registered
739 Posts
try ABF Freight they shipped my NHT's from CA to VA with no problem. you can go to there web site and even get a quote to see how much they will charge.

hope this helps.

carlos

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had my Thiel 3.6s shipped via Roadway. Hopefully you have the original boxes the speakers came in. Another tip, strap them to a pallet if they are tall towers.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My pair of 3.6's were shipped from New York via BAX Global. They were packed in the original boxes, the long flat one for the panels with the stands off and the rest of the hardware (stands, crossover, etc) in a separate regular size box via UPS. That said the delivery person wouldn't even help me carry the large panel box up-stair. I can't recall what carrier (excellent service, btw) my Diva 6.1's were shipped through may be you can e-mail AV123 to see if they will give you the name/reference.

PF

·
Registered
739 Posts
by the way if you don't have the original boxes call the manufactor an get them. i did with my NHT's and had no problems . i believe i only paid $45.00 for al 6 boxes shipped to my front door from NHT. and shipping from CA to VA was not to bad.

ABF will even deliver to your front door.

good luck

carlos

·
Banned
536 Posts
How do Martin-Logan and Magnepan ship their speakers to their dealers? I would call them and maybe use the same shipper they use. CLSs come in two cartons, one for the panels and one for the electronics. I would use UPS ground for the detachable power supply and a common carrier for the panels. GF.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Two Thumbs up for BAX GLOBAL. Go to their website, baxglobal.com, and you can get an estimate. I shipped a pair of Wilson Witt II speakers in the original factory crates and they arrived in perfect condition. There was an additional charge for residential delivery and lift gate truck fee. I would also recommend buying the optional declared value insurance which was reasonably priced.

If the prior poster indicated that residential delivery is no longer available, perhaps it will be shortly. Remember that when you use original shipping containers, there is no passing the buck about proper packaging in the event of a claim.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got fedex to ship the Magnepans finally. Both speakers are in their original boxes. We are getting our companies to ship the CLSs between them. Man, my boss is going to freak out when he sees the size of the boxes. I asked "Can I have a pair of speakers shipped here to the companies name?" I forgot to mention that the total is about 150lbs:D

I will investigate the other shippers mentioned above. Great ideas guys!

·
Registered
262 Posts
we have used roadway and yellow in the past with great results in shipping martin logan, dominatrix and other very large speakers. just label them "top frieght only" and let em go! its fun when the customer goes to pick them up, and the driver says "thems speakers in there so big? your going to put yourself def!"

oscar

HOME THEATER CREATIONS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.