AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rock solid HTPC. I need a help convincing myself that a good sound card is better than my on-board audio.

Can you guys help me out? My DVD's, and HD movies sound great, but am I missing the big picture?

What can you guys say to convince me, what experiences have you guys had with a high end sound card??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an "OLD" Kenwood VR-414 Receiver (HTPC>SPDIF>Receiver). It does DD nicely to my new Pioneer 5.1 speakers. I plan on getting an Onkyo 606 or something close to that. It'd be nice if I could get one that supports the newer HD audio formats. That along with my HTPC bluray player would be sweet. I'm aware of the PC HD audio issues, and have my fingers crossed for a not-to-far-in-future answer for that.

My Pioneer speakers (along with a new receiver) is up to the task for a new sound card, I'm just wondering if its worth the $$.

·
Registered
864 Posts
This is just my .02 but if you are using spdif that means your sound card does nothing, just passes the bitstream information to the reciever. If you get a sound card that's capable of DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD you need to cehck the Xonar thread because that is the only thing out there(from what I know) that doesn't dowsample those formats. Honestly I think if you are hell bent on getting the unmolested sound then maybe just get a standalone blu-ray player and not deal with the HTPC crap.

I doubt you would notice the difference without knowing which is which but placebo is a powerful phenomenon and if you want to pay extra for the piece of mind to know that you have the uber sound format then by all means. I am not trying to offend you in anyway, but there is no reason to jump on the bandwagon unless you heard the 2 side by side and know exactly what you are missing now and what you will be getting given your limitations(speakers, room, receiver, etc.).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If you are happy with it, why bother changing anything?

·
Registered
590 Posts
As noted unless you want decoding of DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD for Blu-Ray you have no reason to do anything. SPDIF is simply passed through to your receiver.

I think the Rock Solid comment says it all... if you want to keep it that way then change only what you absolutely have to change...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Before you spend your $$$, listen to the difference between lossy dolby digital/dts and their HD brethren. Then decide if it's worth it to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts